Thailand confirms 33 new COVID-19 infections, 147 cases in total

Jonathan Fairfield

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Except their graphic that's dated today (March 16) doesn't include the additional 33 cases they announced this afternoon... And I'm looking at their website tonight as of 9 pm, many hours after today's announcement, and they still haven't updated the live graphic...

No need to rush these things. It's not like it's supposed to be a real-time graphic updated daily...er, wait...

59 minutes ago, Traubert said:

There are no reported cases of surface to person contagion. Theoretically it is acknowledged but all the documented cases are person to person.

Surfaces are immune to viruses and cannot contract the disease thus there is nothing to report.  If you mean person to person via mutual contact with a common surface, it is very common and documented for at least 100 years. See Louis Pasteur. Quite common for cold and corona viruses.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

No need to rush these things. It's not like it's supposed to be a real-time graphic updated daily...er, wait...

If you're bored, you can always look at the EN language update reports, where the most recent one as of tonight is dated March 13!  :biggrin:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, androokery said:

I think you’ll find that air conditioning actually removes moisture. That’s sort of how it works. Or do you mean on the other side, i.e. the moisture is just pumped elsewhere?I would

I just thought that  a closed environment like an air conditioned shopping centre would have more moisture from people breathing than out in the open. 

1 hour ago, Traubert said:

They've still got less than HK who are still importing a few a day because people heading for mainland China after landing in HK and being told they're going into a quarantine hotel at the border are turning back and waiting in HK for two weeks.

The Thai tracing seems good too, they seem to know where every case originated. That's key. Plus still only one death.

Only one reported as being from covid19, what about all those pneumonia deaths, did they check them for covid. Either it's another strain here as only one dead, or they are not being honest.

59 minutes ago, DLock said:

Please.

You know better? Or just more 'I don't believe it.'

There's a lot of jaw bumping about viral pneumonia going on, but that's what kills flu sufferers and it's an established fact that flu kills hundreds of thousands every year all over the world before this virus even appeared.

So 'please' is just meaningless.

Unless you are Joan Rivers and I claim my 1000bht.

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Ten days ago, there was a guy near Udon who's said his wife heard from a doctor that someone had died of Covid-19 at his hospital. It was all BS.

Unless you have a citation or a reliable corroborating source, such claims are really not helpful at all.

I was trying not to say that. I keep getting the hoof for hurting peoples feelings.

23 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

why do the prices vary eg 3-6 k, what is the difference for if not one price for Thai and another for foreigners? I thought tests were all done the same way.

What value is the test when we are still in the early days of this outbreak? One can test -ve today and by the same time next week or even tomorrow, you could be +ve. It's a test, not a flu shot.

Blanket testing is a huge waste of money, resources and effort. It maybe makes a lot of people feel good but lends a false sense of security. That's why the Chinese and other countries stopped the universal testing and focused on the most likely candidates and that's when a spike was seen in their daily counts as the 'real' indicators, the real infected numbers became apparent.

Edited by NanLaew

18 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

why do the prices vary eg 3-6 k, what is the difference for if not one price for Thai and another for foreigners? I thought tests were all done the same way.

Because all of the various hospitals have differing cost structures.  Varying amounts of overhead, square footage, salary costs, administrative, and other cost centers.  Same reason any other treatment doesn't have an identical cost to the patient across all hospitals and/or medical clinics.

5 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

That’s right now that it’s getting hotter the numbers are starting to go up much more rapidly.That must mean this virus likes the hot temperatures.

Didn't a Minister say a few weeks ago, that once the weather gets hotter the virus will disappear as it doesn't like it hot... ????

9 minutes ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Didn't a Minister say a few weeks ago, that once the weather gets hotter the virus will disappear as it doesn't like it hot... ????

Those were the initial speculations that the virus doesn't like hot and humid weather. Even Trump said that starting from April this virus would go away.  I understand hot weather might have a slowing down effect on spreading, but humid, I'm not that sure. Cloudy and rainy weather I think it's perfect for the spread. The weather pattern shifted in Bangkok becoming less hotter and with more moisture in the air from yesterday. That's not good in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Eibot said:

My wife fell sick today. My brother in law came from bangkok 5 days ago. He has his own minivan and drives foreigners around. His last costumers were a family from SK and a single man from China. 

Now my wife has fallen ill and we went to the hospital today. They told us there was no need for testing, and to self-isolate. Only come back if she has breathing problems (Khon Kaen). 

Go figure.

Sorry to hear that, do hope hope she gets well.

I left about 3 weeks ago my Taxi driver from the bus station to my hotel and hotel to airport both couldn't stop coughing,

I have a brother in law in Bangkok also that is a Taxi driver [ motorcycle ] hoping he doesn't visit my wife, since she is alone in our house till I get back in a few months.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Eibot said:

My wife fell sick today. My brother in law came from bangkok 5 days ago. He has his own minivan and drives foreigners around. His last costumers were a family from SK and a single man from China. 

Now my wife has fallen ill and we went to the hospital today. They told us there was no need for testing, and to self-isolate. Only come back if she has breathing problems (Khon Kaen). 

Go figure.

From the point of view of medical professions treating the sickness - testing for COVID-19 does not change how they would treat your wife.  It would be the same for flu or for COVID-19.  Basically the treatment is just to let the virus run it's course -- unless and until she has severe symptoms/complications such as difficulty breathing, abnormally high temperatures that risk organ damage, or acute pain... at which point you would go into hospital for support until the disease has relented.  At no point do they need the test for treatment.

The test is only necessary tracing an outbreak and for policy determination with regards to controlling an outbreak.   I have had no doubt that they are not testing local transmission of the disease and only reacting to it at this point.  It has been obvious that there is ongoing outbreak above what they have confirmed, but they seem to be fine waiting and seeing if there is a significant upswing in the local population before changing course.  I hope that does not happen, but I fear it is only a matter of time.   It was likely transmitted locally in the US for a month prior 'the sudden' upswing (which they still don't have visibility on) [based on genetic testing of infections after the fact - basically genetic genealogy of the virus].

They are making the assumption that if she is not part of tracing contacts that are known that she has the flu...

Edited by bkkcanuck8

37 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Cases multiply by x10 every 2 weeks.  Good news is that by August it will all be over.

BTW, do you think Thailand will close it's borders?  I am thinking of flying back next week!

I could see required self-quarantine for 2 weeks... and you might need a medical certificate... but I don't think they will close the border completely.

The question though will there be any flights ... from which country are you planning to escape from? 

Edited by bkkcanuck8

9 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

wear masks if sick,

finally  the  penny  drops...............now  u  have  had  your  own  mask  on  for  a  week.............something  u  want  to  tell  us  all?

also  wear  masks if  taking  care  of  sick  people OTHERWISE DONT WEAR A MASK

5 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

and  theres  no mask shortage and everythings  under control

7 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

Because all of the various hospitals have differing cost structures.  Varying amounts of overhead, square footage, salary costs, administrative, and other cost centers.  Same reason any other treatment doesn't have an identical cost to the patient across all hospitals and/or medical clinics.

I was referring to prices at the same hospitals