Thailand confirms 33 new COVID-19 infections, 147 cases in total

Jonathan Fairfield

5 hours ago, SAINT THOMAS said:

Sorry to hear that, do hope hope she gets well.

I left about 3 weeks ago my Taxi driver from the bus station to my hotel and hotel to airport both couldn't stop coughing,

I have a brother in law in Bangkok also that is a Taxi driver [ motorcycle ] hoping he doesn't visit my wife, since she is alone in our house till I get back in a few months.

You can tell a taxi driver to stop after the first cough. You can tell your wife to not have her brother in law visit. Am I missing something in your silly post? 

12 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Or it's been stirring all the time and some other unknown variable has caused the epidemic to slow down. The weather argument does have merits, but I'm still not fully convinced. Will need to wait and see again for more information.

In temperate climates, the seasonal flu tends to flare in winter and recede as spring arrives. But what about the new coronavirus? Will the arrival of warmer weather keep it in check? U.S. President Donald Trump has weighed in, saying in a televised address that April sunshine could chase away the scourge. Health experts say it’s more complicated than that. Just because outbreaks of influenza wilt with seasonal changes doesn’t mean a different respiratory virus will behave in the same way.

1. Is climate a factor?

It’s too early to know. The new coronavirus, which causes a respiratory disease called Covid-19, has infected more than 120,000 people worldwide, but it only appeared in central China at the end of last year. Officials of the World Health Organization said March 5 there’s no reason to believe temperature will play a role in the outbreak but that the subject was worth investigating.

2. Is there evidence either way?

A few researchers have prepared analyses on the subject, but none have been yet been published in scholarly journals, which require papers to be vetted by experts working in the same field. A group of U.S. and Iranian researchers concluded that the places Covid-19 infection has mostly taken hold so far -- such as Wuhan in central China, Milan and Seattle -- share similarly mild humidity and temperatures ranging from about 5 to 11 degrees Celsius (41 to 52 degrees Fahrenheit) in winter. In hotter, more humid places like Bangkok the virus has mainly been seen in people who brought it in from outside, and has not spread quickly through the community, the researchers said. However, they said predictions should be regarded with “extreme caution.”

Is it only me?  does the price of the testing or being available not bother anyone in general the Thai population can't afford these prices and as mentioned those who don't have money will not get tested the reason testing for free is being suggested.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Is it only me?  does the price of the testing or being available not bother anyone in general the Thai population can't afford these prices and as mentioned those who don't have money will not get tested the reason testing for free is being suggested.

Even if you have the money they might not test you. 

6 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Even if you have the money they might not test you. 

With the history of some of these private hospital and the duel pricing I seriously doubt that would be the case. To fill their daily quotas you have an itch they want to admit you and keep you overnight for observation some would even suggest ICU?

31 minutes ago, rtco said:

1. Is climate a factor?

It’s too early to know. The new coronavirus, which causes a respiratory disease called Covid-19, has infected more than 120,000 people worldwide, but it only appeared in central China at the end of last year. Officials of the World Health Organization said March 5 there’s no reason to believe temperature will play a role in the outbreak but that the subject was worth investigating.

Climate, my guess is the evidence would be tenuous at best.  Factors I would rank higher would be density, encroachment on previously remote land, and close proximity of humans and animals allowing crossover viruses more often. 

Remember the North American natives were hunter gatherers and had little immunity to these zoonotic viruses that existed due to humans and animals (in this case farm) living in close proximity.  Europeans gained a higher level of immunity but were not immune, the natives... they were obliterated (between the time of first contact and the colonization).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I could see required self-quarantine for 2 weeks... and you might need a medical certificate... but I don't think they will close the border completely.

The question though will there be any flights ... from which country are you planning to escape from? 

Time to learn to walk on water like Jesus could..........

I've always thought that the number of known cases is a tiny fraction of the overall number of cases, especially in countries where testing is expensive of difficult. South Korea is probably as close as you'll get to something relatively accurate in Asia due to its high testing levels, and even there it'll be understated.

• Like 1

Testing should be free, or only cost a few hundred baht, like in other countries.  

If they charge 6 to 10000 baht , how many people can afford to get tested? Not many, so I suspect there must be at least 20000 infected in Thailand.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, balo said:

Testing should be free, or only cost a few hundred baht, like in other countries.  

If they charge 6 to 10000 baht , how many people can afford to get tested? Not many, so I suspect there must be at least 20000 infected in Thailand.

The way I read that list - it listed the private hospital prices (i.e. jumping the queue).

If the government (using it's criteria) requires you to be tested, I believe it is free (at certain specific hospitals).

• Like 1

And still one of the main sources is Thais who had contact with foreigners.  With the government be anti foreigner expect more from its citizens.  It is already starting to happen.

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

That's quite a jump, two days in a row, and which can only be partially offset be people coming home with it already. The numbers over the next few days will be very telling on if it will progress slowly or if wildfire season is upon us.

I have a suspicion that it's a mix of locals who have mingled with people returning from foreign countries...  the time scale is about correct for more people to start showing symptoms. Self isolation at home has also been an issue, infecting family then they go out as normal.

The numbers will now steadily rise each day.

This is cases. 

Not deaths. 

Because of more testing it makes sense that more cases will be found. 

China is reducing its numbers of intensive care doctors.

So its a positive sign that the peak has been and gone from there.

Hopefully Thailand and other countries will follow suit.

50 minutes ago, simtemple said:

Unless I missed it, that article says that Covid-19 can be transmitted in hot and humid weather. It doesn't say whether the rate of transmission is slower, faster, or the same.

I read something similar in a CDC article. They said that yes, it can spread in hot weather, but no data on whether it decreases the R0.

16 hours ago, Xaos said:

And how many tests they did?

Apparently its 3500 for thais in gov hospitals and it can be 25 000 in Bangkok Hospital - saw poster pic here o other thread.

Anyone got that Bangkok hospital poster pic with 25k test ad?

Here are the costs if you do get a coronavirus test at a hospital:

Public/University Hospitals

• Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital: Tests are 3,000 – 6,000 baht, same price for foreigners. Admission available. 
  • Ramathibodi Hospital: Due to limited test kits, testing will only be given to those with Covid-19 symptoms. Tests cost 5,000 baht for Thais, 7,000 baht to foreigners. 
  • Siriraj Piyamaharajkarun Hospital: Does not provide Covid tests unless patients already have Covid-19 symptoms. The hospital said they cannot determine the price for a test, since they can only be prescribed by doctors. 
  • Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute: Tests cost 8,000 – 14,000 baht, but may be free depending on the doctors’ discretion. 

Private Hospitals

• Ramkhamhaeng Hospital: 6,500 baht for a Drive Thru service where doctors will swab your nose and throat. Medical results will be sent through text messages within eight hours. Same price for both Thais and foreigners. Book via their Facebook, though the service is fully booked through Thursday.
  • Vichaiyut Hospital: 7,500 baht, not including any prescribed medicine. Same price for Thai and foreigners, but tests are reserved for those showing symptoms.
  • Bangkok Christian Hospital: 8,200 – 10,000 baht. Same price for Thais and foreigners.
  • St. Louis Hospital: 8,000 baht but will only test those showing Covid-19 symptoms. Same price for Thais and foreigners.
  • Phyathai 2 Hospital: 6,500 baht, but will have additional service fees. Same price for Thais and foreigners.
  • Phyathai 3 Hospital: Same price as Phyathai 2, but will only test on those with symptoms or recent travel to at-risk countries. 
  • Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital: Will not say how much a test costs. Tests can only be prescribed by doctors, no walk-in check ups available. 
  • Samitivej Hospital Thonburi: 8,000 – 10,000 baht, same price for foreigners.
  • Bumrungrad International Hospital: 10,500 baht for those with no Covid-19 symptoms, test results available within 48 hours. Those with symptoms pay 7,500 – 18,500 baht, but the hospital will not admit Covid-19 patients. They will be sent to other hospitals.
  • Paolo Phaholyothin Hospital: 5,000 baht for Thais, 7,000 baht to foreigners.
  • PatRangsit Hospital: 8,000 baht for both Thais and foreigners.
  • Praram 9 Hospital: 10,000 baht for patients with symptoms, 8,000 baht for those without. Same price for Thais and foreigners.
  • Mongkutwattana Hospital: 6,000 baht for both Thais and foreigners. 

Covid-19 Tests Unavailable At:

• BNH Hospital
  • Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital
  • Bangkok Hospital
  • Siriraj Hospital
  • Rajavithi Hospital; but treats patients sent via the Department of Disease Control for free. 
  •  

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2020/03/16/some-hospitals-apply-farang-pricing-for-coronavirus-testing/?fbclid=IwAR2knMsX6DXB7xVbYLn8YC69OVwhMt-SBlPNs-MMOfOioi45titts4FE4_8 

That's terrible some thai's can.t afford that.thought it would have been free for thai's at government hos

14 hours ago, Timwin said:

There should have been that explosion already many weeks ago because Thailand was much more exposed to Chinese tourists. There will be more cases but the spreading will be much slower than in Europe because of hot&humid&UV. 

There is no science behind your claims. Guessing is not science. If you want to be taken seriously, perhaps you should phrase your words into questions that make it clear that you are putting forth a theory, a hunch, or an opinion, that has no scientific fact behind it. It makes for more intelligent reading. 

4 hours ago, mbenson said:

As regards the hot & humid hypothesis: Malaysia now has 566 cases. Far fewer tourists and a smaller population. Singapore reports 243.

Malaysia's cases are largely centered on a large Islamic gathering that was attended by over a thousand people from abroad. Malaysia is still in containment phase.

Ramathibodi Hospital: Due to limited test kits, testing will only be given to those with Covid-19 symptoms. Tests cost 5,000 baht for Thais, 7,000 baht to foreigners. 

It's so annoying to see some of them taking an extra zip from us!

As we wouldn't already pay a lot into the system. 

13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I have seen this graph circulating for days. A doctor in Hat Yai asked out loud why there has been an unusual spike in pneumonia cases in Thailand in recent weeks, while the number of official #COVID19 cases has remained low (until recent days). Many have wondered the same.

https://twitter.com/Thai_Talk/status/1239530795611504642

I have also read somewhere on here that it is difficult to distinguish the dengue virus from Covid-19 and that there have been  20,000 cases of dengue fever so far this year which is double the number for the same period last year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Traubert said:

There are no reported cases of surface to person contagion. Theoretically it is acknowledged but all the documented cases are person to person.

Thats what the CDC said also https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/election-polling-locations.html

See middle of first paragraph : Background.

Still precautions are in order  

Edited by morrobay

15 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

That’s right now that it’s getting hotter the numbers are starting to go up much more rapidly.That must mean this virus likes the hot temperatures.

As I read from the well informed , the virus does not survive in temperatures above 27°c , so now with the very hot weather starting that should augur well for Thailand . I am advised that if you get a sore throat , to gargle with either salt or vinegar added to warm water , alternatively with some 40 degrees alcohol . Either way will kill the virus and hopefully prevent more serious development .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toscano said:

As I read from the well informed , the virus does not survive in temperatures above 27°c , so now with the very hot weather starting that should augur well for Thailand . I am advised that if you get a sore throat , to gargle with either salt or vinegar added to warm water , alternatively with some 40 degrees alcohol . Either way will kill the virus and hopefully prevent more serious development .

27, and how cold it is in shopping malls, supermarkets, airports, most offices ?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Timwin said:

That is actually good news. The spreading is not exploding the same way as in northern countries. It is the hot&humid&UV lowering the R0 down. 

Yeah right, and Nth Queensland with similar climate has more case, more like many are not reporting or seeking treatment, I would put money on the number being at least 10 times what is claimed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

I have also read somewhere on here that it is difficult to distinguish the dengue virus from Covid-19 and that there have been  20,000 cases of dengue fever so far this year which is double the number for the same period last year.

Outward appearances may be similar on arrival at hospital , but a blood test easily distinguishes between the two .