BANGKOK
chingmai331

Logic behind high 'tourist' green fees

Big promotion at Alpine, a top course near CM, last Sunday. Thai and Thai resident pay 1300 baht, tourist pays 3000 baht.

Yeah, i get the logic behind the public parks charging 'farang' fees at 2x the local since the locals pay tax and must live with govt.  But how on earth can golf courses charge 2x, or more, simply because of a tourist stamp, not a long-term visa.  Is there a govt reg which  specifies what green fee to pay at private golf courses?

Don't the private courses want more players?  

Alpine was not crowded but my friend stayed home.  

Thailand not same your country na.

Logic? You know we are in Thailand, right?

I would walk up, ask the fee. When told 3,000, I would simply say "I can afford 2,000". If they did not take that, then I would walk. Maybe if enough people did that, they might rethink their pricing.

• Like 1

You are obviously not long enough in Thailand when you are still looking for some logic.

There is no logic! You can search for it as long as you want but you won't find it because if was never there.

Don't expect logic and life becomes a lot easier.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, timendres said:

I would walk up, ask the fee. When told 3,000, I would simply say "I can afford 2,000". If they did not take that, then I would walk. Maybe if enough people did that, they might rethink their pricing.

The guy at the cashier has her/his rules and is not the boss who can decide. So it´s useless to try it. It´s not the cashier´s business so she/he doesn´t care if you leave or not.

23 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

Not always. Depends on their numbers/overheads etc.

For logic try this perhaps the promotion was to try and encourage people to play more often there (maybe join) so did not want to offer to tourists who will not be regular customers..........

Or maybe to reward regulars.

Anyway sounds a great price for the weekend - I hope you took advantage of it? 

12 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

The guy at the cashier has her/his rules and is not the boss who can decide. So it´s useless to try it. It´s not the cashier´s business so she/he doesn´t care if you leave or not.

make it his business.

3000 for tourist, but 1300 for resident?  offer the cashier 500 to give you the resident fee.

and now she/he cares.

On 3/16/2020 at 7:54 PM, timendres said:

Seriously?  Cashiers get paid the same whether you play or not.  Besides, farangs who are Thailand residents get the same price as Thais.  Only the tourists get fleeced. 

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Seriously?  Cashiers get paid the same whether you play or not.  Besides, farangs who are Thailand residents get the same price as Thais.  Only the tourists get fleeced. 

Not exactly a gimme to become a Thai Resident is it.....only 100 can apply and be accepted every year??

Just show the poster below which says these prices are upto September 30th 2020.

image.thumb.png.26938d0e9adcbffa9c4c99f2d58bd1b4.png

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 7:40 PM, chingmai331 said:

Thai and Thai resident pay 1300 baht, tourist pays 3000 baht.

Yeah, i get the logic behind the public parks charging 'farang' fees at 2x the local since the locals pay tax and must live with govt.  But how on earth can golf courses charge 2x, or more, simply because of a tourist stamp, not a long-term visa.  Is there a govt reg which  specifies what green fee to pay at private golf courses?

Alpine was not crowded but my friend stayed home.  

This is why it is unlikely that many tourists will return, they are not stupid. 

Double pricing does irk people. To have it published and endorsed by the government as official policy as in Natl. Parks makes it worse. 

Add this to the unknown of Covid phase 2 and people will be unlikely to commit to flying long distance only to be stuck outside their country again.

Might get the odd Chinese but do they play golf and visit natl. Parks?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Not exactly a gimme to become a Thai Resident is it.....only 100 can apply and be accepted every year??

Nope, only need a Thai driver's license. 

• Like 1

It is ridiculous to complain about dual pricing.

Many western countries do it.

The City of San Diego gives big golf discounts to residents.  One of the courses is Torrey Pines where they will play the US open in the future.  Big discount I believe about 1/2 green fee for those with a resident card.

And places like Disneyland have offered discounts to state/local residents during certain times for years.

So, no need to cry discrimination.  If you don't like it or cannot afford it, then don't go.

• Like 2