Logic behind high 'tourist' green fees

chingmai331

9 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Yes i do play Golf,and have done for the last 20 years, i also caddied for 12 years at a private members club in Surrey till i retired 3 years ago. In my time here (on and off since 2007) my Thai drivers license has never made any difference in the Green fees i have payed at any Golf courses in Khon Kaen, Chaiyaphum, Korat, Hau Hin or Chonburi.

Perhaps we're literally living in two different Thailands.  Golf courses in Chiang Mai--and Chiang Rai--have always accepted a Thai DL as proof of Thai residency. 

The only place I knew that excepted the Thai DL for reduced price was the old horror show of a course at Dusit by the race track. Great for a quick round as it was always empty and a good central location, but it was usually in terrible condition. Sadly someone who can't be named reclaimed the land and the course has now gone. 

35 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

The only place I knew that excepted the Thai DL for reduced price was the old horror show of a course at Dusit by the race track. Great for a quick round as it was always empty and a good central location, but it was usually in terrible condition. Sadly someone who can't be named reclaimed the land and the course has now gone. 

The land was leased from the Crown Property Bureau. The lease expired and was not renewed. A disadvantage of leasing land in Thailand.

10 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Further to the above, Phoenix where i am playing tomorrow were not interested in my Dl or Pink card and my green Fee rate for tomorrow is 900 baht...a Thai that i am playing with, there Green Fee is 510 baht.

Thank you Keith for the first reply that gives actual real life experience and useful information rather than rumour, what people thnk, "I've always done this" or irrelevencies.

PH

• Thanks 1

When a club has a promotion, for Thai resident, would it not be easy to pick up a phone and ask what is required to confirm Thai residence. If you can not fulfill the requirements, play elsewhere.

You think decisions are done on a whim. You don't think there are weekly meetings where promotions and all other business requirements are discussed. You think it is left up to the cashier!

I will give you a tip in Thailand. A lot of courses have two websites or two face book pages. One will be entirely in Thai. This is where the promotions will be.

Played Phoenix today....cashier "no need to show passport" .No surprise there really,but might required on another day or somewhere else. After the round,went to find someone senior to the cashiers to ask about said advertised promotion and was told promotion is nothing to do with Phoenix and that 50% discount is for Thai,s only.....and no your driving license and Pink card makes no difference.

Just phoned Siam plantation and the price is 1200bht not 1120bht and that is for Thai,s only.... not even for a foreigner with PR.

Phoned the 2 numbers bottom left hand corner on the poster ....no answer.

Utterly pointless advert imho!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2020 at 6:50 AM, Berkshire said:

Perhaps we're literally living in two different Thailands.  Golf courses in Chiang Mai--and Chiang Rai--have always accepted a Thai DL as proof of Thai residency. 

I have heard that they are the only two areas where this happens, as other posters have said DL or pink ID card doesn't make any difference most other areas, unless u show up of course.......

Edited by mighty

On 5/11/2020 at 4:43 PM, keithsimmonds said:

Just phoned Siam plantation and the price is 1200bht not 1120bht and that is for Thai,s only.... not even for a foreigner with PR.

Phoned the 2 numbers bottom left hand corner on the poster ....no answer.

Utterly pointless advert imho!!!

I checked website, for Thai people only.

23 minutes ago, A1Str8 said:

The logic behind it is to make as much money as possible. Nothing to do with tax. 

They need more paying players, that´s the reason for promotions. If foreigners are willing the double price and don´t say "f... you", why should they change. I wouldn´t play at a course that treat me worse than a Thai and would write this for sure to the management. 

On 7/7/2020 at 4:10 PM, CNXexpat said:

They need more paying players, that´s the reason for promotions. If foreigners are willing the double price and don´t say "f... you", why should they change. I wouldn´t play at a course that treat me worse than a Thai and would write this for sure to the management. 

You probably wouldn't be playing much then if you were in Pattaya and possibly even Bangkok. The Thais have nearly always had cheaper rates then the best foreigner negotiated deals. Unfortunately it is a fact of life here.

5 hours ago, topt said:

You probably wouldn't be playing much then if you were in Pattaya and possibly even Bangkok. The Thais have nearly always had cheaper rates then the best foreigner negotiated deals. Unfortunately it is a fact of life here.

Presumably Thais don't get a discount on the caddy fee and tip? sometimes more expensive than the green fee

Plenty of golf courses in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai offering promotions, they want customers.

Mae Kok, CR. 300 baht, 18 holes.

Gassan Legacy, 1000 baht including caddie and cart, not including tip.

Happy City CR, the same.

Haripunchai down to 700 baht including caddie and cart, not including tip.

Santiburi CR 1200 baht including caddie and cart, not including tip.

Airport course CR, 450 baht, as much golf as can be played in one day. No caddies.

Hang Dong 18 holes 300 baht.

If Alpine want to price themselves out of the market, fine by me.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Presumably Thais don't get a discount on the caddy fee and tip? sometimes more expensive than the green fee

Caddy fee same same but tipping is of course up to the individual.

Some Thais tip more than the average ex pat - and some don't :wink:

Low season gf prices it has always been the way that the cf and average tip will come to more than the gf. Where the gf is 650 or less then that is how it will be.

8 hours ago, dodgybros said:

I have never tipped as low as 200, 300 -500 is more normal, if you are around Pattaya, Rayong, area there quite some decent deals until the end of September

When you have a totally turd caddy they are lucky to get 200, in any other tipping environment they'd get zero, but tips are usually 300-1,000

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

When you have a totally turd caddy they are lucky to get 200, in any other tipping environment they'd get zero, but tips are usually 300-1,000

Indeed...my "standard" is 300.  Have often given 250, and occasionally 200. Ocne (Subaprick, or whatever it is called) gave 200 which was over the top.  CAddy looked disgusted, and started complaining loudly to her friined about it.  Took it back.  She was not happy, but became very apologetic once she realised that 200 is better than zero.  MAybe she learnt a lesson.  But robably not given her attitude all day.  If I could have fired her after three holes I would have.

PH

8 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Indeed...my "standard" is 300.  Have often given 250, and occasionally 200. Ocne (Subaprick, or whatever it is called) gave 200 which was over the top.  CAddy looked disgusted, and started complaining loudly to her friined about it.  Took it back.  She was not happy, but became very apologetic once she realised that 200 is better than zero.  MAybe she learnt a lesson.  But robably not given her attitude all day.  If I could have fired her after three holes I would have.

PH

I have never experienced a caddy that bad after playing 15 or so different courses, have you ever considered it might be your attitude? they are not slaves. Not sure of your country of origin but 300THB equates to about $15AUD, cheap as chips for 3 1/2 hours of someones life.

1 hour ago, dodgybros said:

I have never experienced a caddy that bad after playing 15 or so different courses, have you ever considered it might be your attitude? they are not slaves. Not sure of your country of origin but 300THB equates to about $15AUD, cheap as chips for 3 1/2 hours of someones life.

Since this was a one off, and I have played hundreds of rounds in Thailand, then no, I do not think it is my attitude.

But thanks for asking.

PH

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, dodgybros said:

the bad caddies are out there who should be docked a tip otherwise you are paying a good caddy the same as a bad caddy. Two examples a tom boy with a very bad chip on her shoulder, really poor attitude. Another a granny who was always 200 yards behind me so i had to find the ball first. Both of those should have found alternative jobs

• Sad 1

Back on topic....i for one do not give up up as the fellow mentioned below in an extract from todays Bangkok Post will soon find out when i send him a copy of that poster from the Pattaya TAT office offering 50% discount on Green Fees....... for Thais only.

Tanes Petsuwan, deputy governor for marketing communications for the Tourism Authority of Thailand, said he was not happy about foreigners being subject to dual pricing. He said he had already raised the issue with officials from the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment about the situation in the parks.

Edited by keithsimmonds

• 4 weeks later...

Where my wife and I have membership we always tip at least the caddy fee.

Normally will not play where there is 2pricing ...exception being the EGAT Courses, not all have 2pricing, as they are good value anyway. Srinakirin Dam is 100 for my wife and 400 for me and the buggy is cheap and you can share ..it's a bit hilly to walk especially as we are getting older.

On 8/14/2020 at 1:46 AM, keithsimmonds said:

The PSC website on my phone says Treasure Hill 200baht Green Fee every day till the end of November....that,s 550baht walking with caddy.....excellent value....so long as they don,t insist on compulsory cart???

Would like to hear what the real price is from someone who played while this "special is on" .  I suspect cart will be mandatory but having said that it is still good value :

GF   200

CF   350

Cart 600

Tip   300

IMHO  1450 all in is value for money .  Treaure Hill beats me up everytime I play it but it is a course I enjoy becasue of reasonable pricing and I find the staff customer friendly .  

Don't get me started on fairways with trees , big bloody  trees , right in the middle ????.

On 3/16/2020 at 8:21 PM, ChouDoufu said:

make it his business.

3000 for tourist, but 1300 for resident?  offer the cashier 500 to give you the resident fee.

Perfect solution . Thai culture summed up . 

On 8/14/2020 at 12:46 PM, keithsimmonds said:

The PSC website on my phone says Treasure Hill 200baht Green Fee every day till the end of November....that,s 550baht walking with caddy.....excellent value....so long as they don,t insist on compulsory cart???

1 hour ago, smylee52 said:

Would like to hear what the real price is from someone who played while this "special is on" .  I suspect cart will be mandatory but having said that it is still good value :

GF   200

CF   350

Cart 600

Tip   300

IMHO  1450 all in is value for money .  Treaure Hill beats me up everytime I play it but it is a course I enjoy becasue of reasonable pricing and I find the staff customer friendly .  

Don't get me started on fairways with trees , big bloody  trees , right in the middle ????.

Just make sure you get the voucher from PSC to get the price - it is not a walk in price. The voucher should also list any conditions.

Treasure Hill is not normally compulsory cart. Was in very good condition when I last played it a couple of weeks ago. 

7 hours ago, smylee52 said:

GF   200

CF   350

Cart 600

Tip   300

Strange one Treasure Hill, because it's a poorly designed course it beats majority\all of people up everytime but people play it because it's cheaper. Better to pay more and play a course you enjoy or skip a day