BANGKOK
webfact

'Single biggest shock': Airlines, airports battle coronavirus cash crunch

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Had I known what a shower they were I'd have flown a different airline.

you might do someone else a favour by naming them

Frankly, I hope this leads to the permanent destruction of mass tourism. Downsize the airlines, curtail the reliance on airports, and restore the idea of an overseas vacation as something special to be planned for carefully and budgeted wisely. It would be better for the world to return to the tourism numbers and costs of the 1950s and 1960s (and maybe a dip to the 1930s would give some people a perspective on life as well). Make Pattaya Great Again!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

you might do someone else a favour by naming them

Legal reasons I don't.

3 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Frankly, I hope this leads to the permanent destruction of mass tourism. Downsize the airlines, curtail the reliance on airports, and restore the idea of an overseas vacation as something special to be planned for carefully and budgeted wisely. It would be better for the world to return to the tourism numbers and costs of the 1950s and 1960s (and maybe a dip to the 1930s would give some people a perspective on life as well). Make Pattaya Great Again!

Agree 1,000,000%. Mass tourism is a plague on the planet. Anything that reduces it is good in my book.

Mass tourism has destroyed the once friendly and sanuk land of Thailand, IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

You were one

I would have paid a lot more to go if it meant the end of the sort of tourist that travels half way around the world to lie by a swimming pool or get drunk on Had Rin.

I was a tourist in the 70s before mass tourism and a Boeing 707 was a big plane.

• Like 2

I really don’t think you guys get how much of a dire situation this is . The stock market is tumbling there is going to be some huge businesses that are going to go down the pan with millions of jobs with it . Along with that will be defaults on pensions . And world debt !! This is going to get very bad as panic and hysteria have kicked in big time . 

• Like 2

what about the major drop of oil prices ? if there was no corona, prices would not go down

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Thanks for that. I remember watching this after 9/11. I'm generally against bailouts. Let the weak die off and strong pick up the pieces. In this case, those left standing may not have enough capital. I'm struggling with my non-interventionist principles and the airlines being a pretty vital industry. More than that, the overhead involved is so high. From the US domestic view, we have Southwest, Fedex and UPS that are really solid. Other than those three, the rest can't last long. Obviously, Southwest can't take over the entire US passenger industry. So do we prop up these clowns like United, Delta and American who've already screwed the pooch? I don't like it. I also know I don't have all the answers.

2 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Thanks for that. I remember watching this after 9/11. I'm generally against bailouts. Let the weak die off and strong pick up the pieces. In this case, those left standing may not have enough capital. I'm struggling with my non-interventionist principles and the airlines being a pretty vital industry. More than that, the overhead involved is so high. From the US domestic view, we have Southwest, Fedex and UPS that are really solid. Other than those three, the rest can't last long. Obviously, Southwest can't take over the entire US passenger industry. So do we prop up these clowns like United, Delta and American who've already screwed the pooch? I don't like it. I also know I don't have all the answers.

Buffet will buy at least one of the airlines.

Better the airlines than the cruise ship industry. Why would anybody consider the cruise ship industry as something to bail out? Ought to buy torpedoes, instead. But for the airlines, whatever they get, they must reduce executive pay to a bare minimum. No more bonuses or sky high salaries for companies that need the taxpayer in order to survive.

48 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

There is a significant lack of demand for the products and services businesses will produce, given that many millions of Americans will be without financial resources beyond caring for their own family's sustenance and many many without even that. If any sort of "normality" is to be re-established it will have to start with the economic security of the citizenry and let that "trickle up" to businesses and industry. It seems to me there's been a serious misallocation in stimulus measures thusfar.

Of course . They have cut rates to banks and added billions into the stock market but us everyday joes will see none of it . I’m telling you this is going to turn into a depression very quickly . 

• Like 2