Covid-19: Italians who caused a panic in Samui report to police - now in hotel self isolation

webfact

Covid-19: Italians who caused a panic in Samui report to police - now in hotel self isolation

1pm1.jpg

Channel 7 screenshot

Channel 7 reported that two young Italians caused a panic on holiday island Koh Samui after it was reported online that they had refused hospital quarantine. 

The reality was somewhat different and has been put down to a miscommunication by health officials. 

Immigration, the regular police and health authorities were all hunting for them in response to the social media outcry. 

Janik A. and Josef G., both 24, contacted the police to say they would go into the Bo Phut police station to report themselves as the online scaremongering included pictures of their passports. 

They have now done that and been tested and do not have the virus. 

Channel seven quoting their sources said that the two men had gone into Koh Samui Hospital on Saturday wanting to sort out problems with an ankle.

Staff at the hospital on finding out they were Italians wanted to get them into quarantine but they did not want to do that and went back to their hotel and subsequently visited tourist sites on the island. 

Now after being tested on Monday they have agreed to self isolate at their hotel for 14 days and report their condition/symptoms via the app to health authorities. 

The media noted that not one person out of 11,763 arrivals by air or 39,784 who came by ferry to the island who were screened have been found to have the virus.

Source: Channel 7

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-17
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Ramdas said:

Confusion and mishandling of the current situation is expected to happen in Thailand on a regular basis because of xenophobia and further discrimination towards westerners by the so called health officials ????????‍♂️
Besides, the name s do not even appear to be Italians either ! 
And they’re not even affected by the virus !!! 

But it is weird that thai coming from korea has to go into quarantine and italians arriving here just can go where they like, even walking into a hospital without wearing mouthmasks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

So, what do you suggest? If they are as stupid as travelling when a virus is spreading all over the world, then they should have more than only a 14 day punishment according to me.

If they have paid 10,000 Euros or so for flights and accommo dation, it's hard to give that up

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Now after being tested on Monday they have agreed to self isolate at their hotel for 14 days and report their condition/symptoms via the app to health authorities. 

Knowing this , odds on they will be politely - or not - be asked to leave

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

So, what do you suggest? If they are as stupid as travelling when a virus is spreading all over the world, then they should have more than only a 14 day punishment according to me.

They've been tested. Does that imply negative? If so what's the point of isloation for 14 days ?

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

They've been tested. Does that imply negative? If so what's the point of isloation for 14 days ?

You don´t read much news, do ya? The test is to make sure they are not already infected. Then they would have been taking to hospital. That they do not show anything as of today, means that they are allowed to self-isolate for 14 days. That due to the virus can take that long time, or even more, to show up on tests after a person have contracted the virus.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

If they have paid 10,000 Euros or so for flights and accommo dation, it's hard to give that up

Yeah, sure! 10 000 euro for flight and accomodation. That´s always what the regular tourist do. :cheesy::cheesy:

If so, it´s even more stupid that they do not pay extra for the possibility of cancellation, when a virus is as active as it has been for the last 1-2 month.

14 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

You don´t read much news, do ya? The test is to make sure they are not already infected. Then they would have been taking to hospital. That they do not show anything as of today, means that they are allowed to self-isolate for 14 days. That due to the virus can take that long time, or even more, to show up on tests after a person have contracted the virus.

Not really, no. Most of it it is <deleted> and sensationalistic. I'd love it if for once they would report how many people recovered rather than how many people died.

So back to my main point, if they have been tested and found not to have it then do I assume that the test is redundant as they could still have it 14 days later ? What am I missing here ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

So back to my main point, if they have been tested and found not to have it then do I assume that the test is redundant as they could still have it 14 days later ? What am I missing here ?

What you are missing??? Ops, that´s painfully obvious. They do a test, to check if they already show as positively infected. They have to self-isolate in hotel because they can still shoe as positively infected for a future period of 14 days. If you don´t understand that, I can´t help you.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Nice holiday, hope the sea-view from the balcony is a good one!

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What you are missing??? Ops, that´s painfully obvious. They do a test, to check if they already show as positively infected. They have to self-isolate in hotel because they can still shoe as positively infected for a future period of 14 days. If you don´t understand that, I can´t help you.

Then whats the point of the test?

It can show you as being OK but you can still get it 14 days later. Why bother? Just quarantine everyone for 14 days!

That's my point and glad I've helped you.

3 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Then whats the point of the test?

It can show you as being OK but you can still get it 14 days later. Why bother? Just quarantine everyone for 14 days!

That's my point and glad I've helped you.

As I said. Can´t help you.

3 hours ago, rhyddid said:

I would let them spend 15 days locked in a immigration room as quarantine venue and then send them back home, all charged at 5 star hotel prices

Why would immigration bang up anyone that is visa compliant and virus free & what would the likely effect be?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

No you can't because you, like all of us don't have the answer.

Yes I have! They test you to se you are already infected. After that you have to self-isolate for another 14 days and test again. If negative you are out.

I think even you can understand that, right? On the other hand, you already answer that you do not read much before. Maybe you´ve just lost the capability.

Edited by Matzzon