BANGKOK
TeacherTango

Who's staying vs who's leaving? Coronavirus edition.

A couple of days ago I decided I was better returning back home to wait out the coronavirus. Everything is progressing so fast and as a teacher I could see that schools were going to get shut down. 

So i'll lose a months salary, my deposit and everything I accumulated here. Safe to say the girlfriends not thrilled. 

Anyone else in the same boat? Who is going to stay in Thailand for lockdown and who plans on getting out of dodge? 

Gonna be a long year.... Keep fighting lads

9 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

I am home, its been it for 15 years ,our house is here ,my wife and son are here ,i have family in the UK as well ,they are in their home . 

home is where your heart is.

You spot on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I guess if I were you it would depend on how much I have saved and how much you currently spend on rent. You could easily switch to a 2-3K room and sit out 2-3 months with a small budget, no need to spend that much. Or leaving, but then you also waste on a flight ticket, might see schools opening 3 weeks after that and needing to buy a flight again to return here + find a new room. 

Can imagine many teachers are going to have relative big problems because of this, often no savings either and on very tight budgets already.
Maybe I will be affected by it sooner or later too, if a global economic collapse happens, it all becomes a chair dance. Can't know who gets hurt upfront.

If you really go into temporary survival budget mode, get a 3K baht room, you should be able to survive for 2-3 months on <1000 usd.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Posted (edited)

I booked to fly back to the UK on the early bird Friday morning flight this morning (after much shouting at the bank on the phone who were sending authorization codes to a completely wrong phone not on my accounts) - assuming Thai doesn't cancel the flight in the next 48 hours. Be honest I do not think they will cancel in such a short time, but you never know, though I am presuming they will start cancelling in the near future potentially.

I have enough money for the wife pay the rent and feed the kid, and will find a bed and breakfast for myself for a few months.

I am one of the at risk people due to an illness I had years back and I need medication from UK hospitals every 9 months, and am due back in the UK in June anyhow.

Do I want to go, no, far from it, but for me the decision is easy due to me own health situation.

Hopefully a few months and I can return - fingers crossed. My retirement based extension end in January, and if everything is not back to normal by then, then I thick many of you reading this may not be here welcoming me back !

I think people should also consider what happens to them if the banks fail here and in other places, what if you lose access to money. At least I know if I am in the UK, I can try and sort it. I think you need imagine worst case scenario rather than just think 'well, not worry, what will be will be'. 

Edited by RichardColeman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1