Who's staying vs who's leaving? Coronavirus edition.

On 3/17/2020 at 9:19 PM, TeacherTango said:

Who is going to stay in Thailand for lockdown and who plans on getting out of dodge? 

What is "locked" down in LOS?  Its all the other highly infected countries who are locking down.  

Don't forget to take your own toilet paper back with you.

Good luck

Peace

My school has told us to prepare online/remote lessons for the first 8 weeks of school!  The English teachers are mostly preparing videos, but as a Science teacher I'm preparing powerpoints with follow-up questions.  I'll schedule live Q&A sessions using Zoom or Google Classroom.

I teach older students, P6 to M3, so I shouldn't have much difficulty teaching this way.  The teachers who teach very young students are not looking forward to this!

Hopefully, this will just be a contingency plan and classes will begin in mid-May as usual. 

As for the OP, I am obviously staying.  I just renewed my WP and will be extending my Type O visa for another year in August.

On 3/17/2020 at 10:23 PM, RichardColeman said:

I booked to fly back to the UK on the early bird Friday morning flight this morning (after much shouting at the bank on the phone who were sending authorization codes to a completely wrong phone not on my accounts) - assuming Thai doesn't cancel the flight in the next 48 hours. Be honest I do not think they will cancel in such a short time, but you never know, though I am presuming they will start cancelling in the near future potentially.

I have enough money for the wife pay the rent and feed the kid, and will find a bed and breakfast for myself for a few months.

I am one of the at risk people due to an illness I had years back and I need medication from UK hospitals every 9 months, and am due back in the UK in June anyhow.

Do I want to go, no, far from it, but for me the decision is easy due to me own health situation.

Hopefully a few months and I can return - fingers crossed. My retirement based extension end in January, and if everything is not back to normal by then, then I thick many of you reading this may not be here welcoming me back !

I think people should also consider what happens to them if the banks fail here and in other places, what if you lose access to money. At least I know if I am in the UK, I can try and sort it. I think you need imagine worst case scenario rather than just think 'well, not worry, what will be will be'. 

All airlines will cancel flights really right up until boarding time if it is worth more to them to do so than to keep the plane scheduled.  Really comes down to whether the flight will continue flying (storage/dock fees can be more expensive depending on location).  Whether they can get pilots/staff for the flight, etc.  If the country/countries are in are allowing the flight.  Assuming the flights are reasonably booked, the current prices likely would make it beneficial to fly.

On 3/17/2020 at 9:58 PM, geriatrickid said:

I don't believe that people will be able to go home for some time. International flights are being suspended. The flights left will be very expensive.

At this time entry into most countries will require self isolation for 2 weeks and I doubt some of the returnees have the means or the  locations where they can go to self isolate.

Australia is advising its citizens to return home asap and aircraft carriers have to fit them in without any extra payment for a change of flight.

So I will go back 2 weeks earlier than had intended.

I worry  about my gf mom in her village.  No little ghost in her village but maybe many out of work people returning  now or at songkran of travel is allowed.   If I had a choice I would be with my woman and ride it out.  Unfortunately we are separated by 13 000 km. 

6 hours ago, sletraveler said:

I hate to think what it will be like in the US when the numbers get into tens of thousands.    I rather take my chances here but overall it’s gonna suck everywhere.   

At least in rural Thailand you can easily grow your own food.  In western cities where people are reliant on supermarkets it could get ugly.   

• Like 1

One can't aquire herd immunity..With respect, Boris is nuts, uninformed..Italy is worse' than China (was) according toBBC last night (for me, 11:00 GMT

Soap & water destroys any Microbes, wear a mask, (I can't find one in Hawaii) and wash w dry or liquid Soap after touching public counters before touching your eyes or mouth (face?) be careful removing mask or gloves! Stay safe!!

Aloha

• Like 1

When the US annouced today that all Americans should come home, I looked at flights to LA.

Then I thought, why. My rent here is paid in advance. My places in the USA are rented out so I would have to rent another place, or stay with family, like my 86 year old mother. That means Im living in a hotel room for two weeks first. Cant stay with my nephew he just had a new baby, etc.

Frankly, Im better off here. I think I would be in more danger of transiting in LAX than I would in just chilling here in Siem. So Im riding it out, live or die.

• Like 1

I am a US citizen living in Bangkok. Staying or leaving both have risks. Ironically fleeing the virus, going to crowded airports, sitting on a plane for 20 hours. Possibly getting quarantined back home for two weeks may put you at greater risk of catching the virus than staying put. I see pros and cons to staying here. Big cities are of course going to have way more cases than rural areas but if I did get it I think my odds of getting a private hospital bed are better here. A number of effective treatments are very close and my ability to get them here are better than other areas. Many businesses are shuttered and I see way less people mulling about. It has become easier to practice social distancing in Bangkok than times past. My wife and I have visas that don't require us to leave the country so that's not an issue. My cost of living here is at least 1/4th of what it is in the USA and that is not even counting health care for which it is probably 1/20th the cost. That is also not counting transit costs and establishing a US residence again. I can't see why I should rush home deplete my funds and likely end up around more people who have the virus than I will here. If the situation changes I will change but for now staying.

• Like 2

I think the order to return to the US is primarily for those who have a plan to be in the US in the near term.   For those who do not reside in the US on a regular basis, then it's 'shelter in place.'  

If you have the appropriate visa and circumstances to remain where you are, you are probably better off staying.   The virus appears to just getting a good start in the US.   I wouldn't advise returning unless you need to.   If you need to, then sooner is better than later.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Im in the process of returning to Thailand before the borders close.

Would rather sit it out in Thailand than Australia. 

Will you have to show a health certificate and health insurance?

On 3/19/2020 at 11:24 AM, BobbyL said:

No. We're in school and teaching online lessons to the students at home ????.

The last two days have been pretty torturous pre - recording lessons, doing live Google Meet video calls with the whole class in the morning and afternoon and then being inundated with messages like, 'Where is the Science lesson posted?' 'Can I have lunch now?' 'Is it time to do maths?' ????

That sounds like a bit of a cluster ****. We have about 2 months before students are back from holidays, so have some breathing space to sort things out. I'm looking at a few programs to see which will work and will get the students to do some practice woth me before the school starts. Nothing else to do the next 2 months, so may as well do prep. 

• Like 2

Yes, my high tech friend at U of Hawaii said that making an online lesson plan is difficult, unless using something familiar like Google docs is easier, but the student wish it was prettier..(more pretty?)

Gmail works also..

A hard task, and You should be commended!

Alohoho

12 hours ago, DavisH said:

Will you have to show a health certificate and health insurance?

Just posted an update on the forum.

Based on Thai Airways latest travel advice. 21/02.

A ticket obviously. 

Medical certificate issued no more than 72 hours before. GP.

A coronavirus test result also no more than 72 hours before. 

Proof of travel insurance with $US 100,000 coverage.

NO mention of the coronavirus insurance. 

(Which is virtually impossible to get since January 23)

The airline is responsible for the boarding. 

I have re entry and retirement extensions.

Screenshot_20200321-105211_Thai Airways.jpg

Screenshot_20200321-105701_Thai Airways.jpg

Screenshot_20200321-105810_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

On 3/20/2020 at 8:48 AM, wasabi said:

I am a US citizen living in Bangkok. Staying or leaving both have risks. Ironically fleeing the virus, going to crowded airports, sitting on a plane for 20 hours. Possibly getting quarantined back home for two weeks may put you at greater risk of catching the virus than staying put. I see pros and cons to staying here. Big cities are of course going to have way more cases than rural areas but if I did get it I think my odds of getting a private hospital bed are better here. A number of effective treatments are very close and my ability to get them here are better than other areas. Many businesses are shuttered and I see way less people mulling about. It has become easier to practice social distancing in Bangkok than times past. My wife and I have visas that don't require us to leave the country so that's not an issue. My cost of living here is at least 1/4th of what it is in the USA and that is not even counting health care for which it is probably 1/20th the cost. That is also not counting transit costs and establishing a US residence again. I can't see why I should rush home deplete my funds and likely end up around more people who have the virus than I will here. If the situation changes I will change but for now staying.

Agreed..when unemployment may be skyrocketing it is not a good time to repatriate..and housing costs haven't dropped a nickel.  Even BKK can be a good place to chill..DC area, where I am from, is one of the worst places on Earth to be if you do not have a very good paying job..Mexico looks tempting at 25 peso per dollar..worth mentioning.

On 3/20/2020 at 10:19 PM, DavisH said:

That sounds like a bit of a cluster ****. We have about 2 months before students are back from holidays, so have some breathing space to sort things out. I'm looking at a few programs to see which will work and will get the students to do some practice woth me before the school starts. Nothing else to do the next 2 months, so may as well do prep. 

As it is still term time we have to keep going. We have to do 180 days teaching / year so if we stopped now we would have to do make - up days in July. It was a pretty frustrating few days last week but hopefully next week is easier. Still two more weeks until our scheduled Easter / Songkran holiday. 

On 3/22/2020 at 12:04 PM, BobbyL said:

As it is still term time we have to keep going. We have to do 180 days teaching / year so if we stopped now we would have to do make - up days in July. It was a pretty frustrating few days last week but hopefully next week is easier. Still two more weeks until our scheduled Easter / Songkran holiday. 

Good luck.Looks like we are all goign to ahve to go through this. I wonder how teachers will teach pe, music and dance online. I teach maths so it shouldn't be a problem. Prefer to do it from home rather than school, though. 

I've gotta stay, there's not much to go back to. As others have said, the Corona situation has now become worse in the US. Staying with family wouldn't work, they've since moved to other places, and have their own challenging situations. The job situation is worse, I'd be joining the many who are now out of work.

I've also now got a wife and family here. Don't get me started on trying to get these in the US.

I could get one of my old jobs at a supermarket back, as former coworkers tell me people aren't showing up, because they're scared. But there's nowhere to live around there, certainly not with a supermarket salary, and I'd have to go sleep under a bridge between shifts.

I've been teaching in Thailand for awhile now, with good experience and qualifications, not just a BA and TEFL. But that still doesn't translate well to entry into the American educational system, with all of its issues.

Thus, I'm waiting it out here in the moo ban, with a job offer from a good international school near Bangkok. Hopefully they open on time in May, and if I still can't go to class, hopefully I'll be able to give those online classes I see others are doing.

The best case scenario is that schools in Thailand will reopen in September or October. There will be fewer jobs and lower salaries for foreign teachers, especially in private schools. The economic recession will bite Thailand hard on the butt. Money is going to be tight, even for the middle class.

Edited by Sunderland
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 10:49 PM, Sunderland said:

The best case scenario is that schools in Thailand will reopen in September or October. There will be fewer jobs and lower salaries for foreign teachers, especially in private schools. The economic recession will bite Thailand hard on the butt. Money is going to be tight, even for the middle class.

Yep think it's folly to think that schools will reopen as normal in May.

My preference is to delay the opening rather than do online learning. Don't think it's really feasible for the younger children. Plus families with multiple children would require multiple laptops and in some cases parent supervision.

Not quite the same as being in a classroom.

On 3/28/2020 at 1:43 AM, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

This corona-hysteria will all soon calm down, when they find out that its mortality rate is on par with the ordinary flu and the economy meltdown will destroy the countries. By May it will all be so much more relaxed. Schools will start up by June or at the latest July 1. Just enjoy your holiday ????

July 1st is the starting date now. 

On 3/21/2020 at 10:38 AM, moontang said:

Agreed..when unemployment may be skyrocketing it is not a good time to repatriate..and housing costs haven't dropped a nickel.  Even BKK can be a good place to chill..DC area, where I am from, is one of the worst places on Earth to be if you do not have a very good paying job..Mexico looks tempting at 25 peso per dollar..worth mentioning.

Unemployment skyrocketing of minimum wage jobs. You couldn't even think about living on that income.

Working for a Fortune 50 company, we are all afforded the luxury of working at home. This is just super!