Trump wants to send Americans $1,000 checks to cushion virus economic shock

webfact

1 minute ago, tonray said:

Essentially it becomes a loan against future tax increases...there is no free ride. Now if they say "we are cutting programs X,Y,and Z to finance it" Ok...but as it stands either you will pay it back with interest in a future tax bill - or- it will add to deficit and and you will pay it back with extended low rates on savings.

Maybe we will follow the example of Europe and charge people to hold our debt. Could be a good earner.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, englishoak said:

Strawman argument and if I may say so a disconnected one to the current situation. The world is shutting down in case you hadnt noticed. 

This isnt normal times and most households arnt going t buy a new phone when they have to pay for food or bills. 

I don't actually care what people do with the money. I give homeless people cash unconditionally I don't worry if they buy booze or drugs. 

2 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I understand that very well, that's why I want them to receive these funds. Middle income people have mortgages too you know. 94% of new jobs in the past 10 years have been gig, part time or contract. No severance, no medical, no security at all. I'm happy these people aren't going to become homeless. I'm happy the homeless will receive funds. Maybe it will change their lives. Maybe it's a turning point for America and they regain their humanity which has been lost. Maybe people will realize we can eradicate poverty. Who knows?

You want to make it need based, fine.  Also, unemployment benefits should be made much more generous. Anyway, if anything is going to kill the Republicans in the next election it's going to be their continued opposition to Universal Health Care.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

You want to make it need based, fine.  Also, unemployment benefits should be made much more generous. Anyway, if anything is going to kill the Republicans in the next election it's going to be their continued opposition to Universal Health Care.

This crisis is world changing, the system is going to change because there will be no option but to, I think UBI of some from is going to have to be implemented by the Republicans simply because 50% of business will be dead by the time this pandemic is over maybe more... we are literally talking years and its only just beginning. 

38 minutes ago, englishoak said:

It costs far less to just give it to everyone rather than means test, let alone the time means testing would take up, people need it now not in 6 mths ... 

Australia was one of the few developed countries in the world which got through the GFC.

Part of the reason was some sage advice from the head of the treasury at the time: “go hard, go early, go households”.

This in the end amounted to a couple of thousand dollars per person followed buy a targeted government funded public works programme that got labourers, electricians etc back to work. 

As you say there is no time for the administrative expense of means testing. What you want to avert is a huge loss of confidence in the economy, so even if they spend the cash in a flat screen TV they know that life will go on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, champers said:

Sounded in the briefing that he wanted to give more, bigly more and immediately. A figure of $1 Trillion was more than mentioned in passing. Steve Mnuchin has been tasked with devising a method of payment.

The greatest general election ploy you could have. Put money into people's pockets .... and the Treasury pays for it all. Top that Biden!

Direct deposit >> internet banking, he may have heard of that, or does he only know twitter?

11 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Direct deposit >> internet banking, he may have heard of that, or does he only know twitter?

Check in the mail to a verified address with in the USA or one of its territories or pick it up in person with valid federally recognized ID such as a driving license with the star and TSA endorsement..

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cryingdick said:

Check in the mail to a verified address with in the USA or one of its territories. 

Inefficient, time consuming, so 20th century, risks theft and then heaps of paperwork for replacement

5 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Inefficient, time consuming, so 20th century, risks theft and then heaps of paperwork for replacement

Done all the time. Prevents fraud. Limits the money to Americans in the USA. Inclusive of people without a home address or bank account.

Edited by Cryingdick

1 hour ago, rabas said:

AOC has criticized Trump for providing $1000 support to Americans, seemingly ignoring her own $93 trillion Green New Deal. Hypocrisy unchained.

You don’t seem to understand the difference between investing in re-tooling the economy and giving out free cash to buy votes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Check in the mail to a verified address with in the USA or one of its territories or pick it up in person with valid federally recognized ID such as a driving license with the star and TSA endorsement..

Adapt post offices to include basic banking services.

1 minute ago, Lipoman said:

@Cryingdick, I agree with you, in general, about limiting the $1,000 to Americans living in the USA. 

But, there are many of us expats, who are retired military, who work with the US Military; we may shop in DoD Commissaries and Exchanges outside the USA.  Typically when we spend money in those two businesses we are helping our US economy. 

I think we too should be allowed to receive the $1,000 so we can spend it on masks, hand sanitizers, and potential clinic visits if we feel flu symptoms (possibly related to Coronavirus). 

To emphasize, the folks in the USA should receive this money first, then, perhaps, we expats should be second. 

We NEED to take care of OUR OWN in a reasonable, manageable way.   Stay safe! 

I don't disagree with that. Thank you for bringing that issue to my attention. Military personnel that served our country and maybe met their wife overseas or developed a life over there should definitely receive their share.

Just now, lannarebirth said:

Adapt post offices to include basic banking services.

Why not? That's the case in many countries such as Poland and Japan. However the service is usually terrible but it should be an option that isn't hard to implement.

13 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

You want to pile on costs to the program, just because you have a vendetta against expats because you felt mistreated in Thailand. Well, guess what, they'll do this the same way they did it last time, when Obama cut a $400 check to everyone and had it direct deposited. Everyone was eligible by having filed taxes the year before or by filing a blank form if you were on SS or disability? BTW, are you getting a monthly check from the government already?

3 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I don't disagree with that. Thank you for bringing that issue to my attention. Military personnel that served our country and maybe met their wife overseas or developed a life over there should definitely receive their share.

With all due respect those military member chose to live overseas and accept all the inconveniences that entails

• Like 1

Ah man, my head is spinning. Things happening so fast. A trillion stimulus? Thousand dollar checks? My only issue is that pork is added in to such packages. 

Steven Mnuchin is someone I have a certain amount of trust in. He's been down a similar road before.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Langsuan Man said:

With all due respect those military member chose to live overseas and accept all the inconveniences that entails

I have a suspicion that some of these people wanting an exception for expats who retired military are themselves retired military. They, you see, deserve it. Nobody else does.

2 minutes ago, zydeco said:

You want to pile on costs to the program, just because you have a vendetta against expats because you felt mistreated in Thailand. Well, guess what, they'll do this the same way they did it last time, when Obama cut a $400 check to everyone and had it direct deposited. Everyone was eligible by having filed taxes the year before or by filing a blank form if you were on SS or disability? BTW, are you getting a monthly check from the government already?

I am fluent in Thai and I never minded hanging out with Thai people. Ilived most my time in Laos and did so successfully founding a resort for Lao people that is self sustainable ow to this day. Don't project.  I feel that you have a way of singling me out and suggest you stop doing it.

I feel expats shouldn't get the money because it doesn't add to the US economy. Okay if you are an expat that earns and pays taxes fair enough. However when SS was conceived it was before airplanes and FDR could not have conceived that so many would drop out and leave the USA. Sending money to an expat on entitlements is money leaving the USA and counter productive.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Why exactly would you give money to people who still have their full time jobs. Obviously you want the cash to go to those who need it most: the unemployed and the underemployed $1000 per month is not going to keep the unemployed afloat.

Actually, this isn't really about helping anyone, it's simply about attempting to keep the economy moving. That helps because bills get paid, but it's not really about charity.

7 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I am fluent in Thai and I never minded hanging out with Thai people. Ilived most my time in Laos and did so successfully founding a resort for Lao people that is self sustainable ow to this day. Don't project.  I feel that you have a way of singling me out and suggest you stop doing it.

I feel expats shouldn't get the money because it doesn't add to the US economy. Okay if you are an expat that earns and pays taxes fair enough. However when SS was conceived it was before airplanes and FDR could not have conceived that so many would drop out and leave the USA. Sending money to an expat on entitlements is money leaving the USA and counter productive.

I agree with you 100% and live in Bangkok!

12 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Ah man, my head is spinning. Things happening so fast. A trillion stimulus? Thousand dollar checks? My only issue is that pork is added in to such packages. 

Steven Mnuchin is someone I have a certain amount of trust in. He's been down a similar road before.

That's my concern. <deleted> like pork and tax credits totally unnecessary. Just send people the money. They'll know best what to do with it.

Bernie should have come out with this yesterday when Yang was imploring him and Biden to speak out.  

Bernie Sanders calls for emergency $2,000 cash payments to every household in America every month for the duration of the crisis.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, zydeco said:

I have a suspicion that some of these people wanting an exception for expats who retired military are themselves retired military. They, you see, deserve it. Nobody else does.

Retired military, that is called a pension, and you are damn right we deserve it! The situation of injecting cash into the United States economy, as part of an economic stimulus in response to crisis, is not meant to stimulate the Thai economy. That is obvious. Residency in the USA, proved by having local address should be a requirement. Residing in Bangkok!

Edited by WalkingOrders
Clarity
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Actually, this isn't really about helping anyone, it's simply about attempting to keep the economy moving. That helps because bills get paid, but it's not really about charity.

The most effective way to help the economy is to distribute money to those who are most likely to spend it. Economists have a phrase for it: marginal propensity to spend. The rule is the lower your income the more likely you are to spend any additional funds you get. 

• Like 2