BANGKOK
webfact

German institute: Two years for pandemic to run its course

1 minute ago, PatOngo said:

We're not talking H1N1, we are talking Corona Virus, Wuhan Flu!

I  am talking  " Blame " being irrelevant to coping with Corvid-19.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

and i just heard a german sceintist saying there is out of control hysteria around this virus,

and someone has financial and political interests in spreading this "satanic" fear and panick.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Seems the best plan the top boffins have is

1. Catch it.

2. If you survive it, you are OK

Keep up your contempt of people who have devoted their lives to studying viruses.  It is really helpful.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Atishoo atishoo,   we all fall down ..

Edited by elliss
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, leeneeds said:

The double effect, coming to a place near you.

So is it best to catch it,  recover from it and be immune, the understanding of reoccurrence and to what extent its effect has on the immune system, has a long way to go, sadly many more deaths till we get to that point.

NO!!!!!  There is no guarantee that you will be immune.  Many infections do not impart a full immunity.  Remember that our immunity  depends upon general health and the original response. Some people will  have a weaker immune system as they age. Need an illustration? Herpes Zoster. When we are kids it manifests as chicken pox, but it can return as shingles when we are older, weaker, stressed or sick. Viruses mutate too.   The original SARS wasn't as contagious and we are still susceptible.

And yes you are right. We do have a long way to go and many, many people will die before their time until we get there.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

and i just heard a german sceintist saying there is out of control hysteria around this virus,

and someone has financial and political interests in spreading this "satanic" fear and panick.

You have been spouting your  childish conspiracy nonsense for some time. Give it a rest.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

And mean while people forget ( or choose to ignore )      https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/information_h1n1_virus_qa.htm#d

Not so clever to point  a crooked  finger.

You fail to differentiate between origin and where first identified.

It was first identified in the USA, but the genetic code traces back to Veracruz, Mexico.

The fact that the illness was initially associated with Mexicans and Mexican- Americans has been minimized in an effort to avoid social discrimination. It was not an illness specific to Mexicans, rather, those were the first to be afflicted. 

Edited by geriatrickid

So some say do not blame China for Covid 19, well how about SARS.?  I know

it started in China. I was there and it was being taken very seriously, by the locals,

and the airport we arrived at. nicked named SARS City at the time.

Geezer

In any pre-pandemic period, no government should suddenly be a potential threat to the virus. Just like this virus, many countries have neglected its ability to spread, which has caused the current situation.

20-208161_excision-virus-excision-space-

Image Credit: Virus

In January, I walked outside....guy coughed.  I went into self-isolation 14 days.  First day back, guy coughed....went back into self-isolation.

I've now done 5 self-isolation quarantines.

OK, i'm about to open my door..... OMG, I hear coughing.

another 14-days... 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Chazar said:

and keep  eating bats to wait for the next  one

I prefer still alive monkey brain. Anybody interested?

Edited by Isaanbiker

3 hours ago, englishoak said:

A LOT of people are going to die in the next couple of years from this... thank you China.

All customers for Chinese goods so they have shot themselves in the foot.

Does add to the credence that India will overtake China as the next major world economy.

28 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

So some say do not blame China for Covid 19, well how about SARS.?  I know

it started in China. I was there and it was being taken very seriously, by the locals,

and the airport we arrived at. nicked named SARS City at the time.

Geezer

You can certainly blame the Chinese for their initial response. But given how widespread air travel is nowadays, even a completely open and transparent response wouldn't have stopped the spread. Only slowed it.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

You can certainly blame the Chinese for their initial response. But given how widespread air travel is nowadays, even a completely open and transparent response wouldn't have stopped the spread. Only slowed it.

We all owe the Chinese a lot.  After the initial slow response in Wuhan, they vigorously addressed the epidemic at a national level and successfully slowed it's spread to the rest of the world.  In addition to the direct effect they demonstrated effective measures to control transmission.  The governments of Italy, the US, the UK, Spain, and other countries could have benefited from the two month lead time, but they dropped the ball.

South Korea, by contrast, obtained genetic material on corona in Dec. from China and initiated a program to develop test kits for use on a national scale.  They tested, isolated positives, and tracked contacts reaching a new case rate that is currently very low.  That's competent government by contrast to the countries listed above.  

Edited by cmarshall

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

The Spanish flu of 1918/19, thought to have originated in Kansas, came in three waves, with the mutated second wave being the most aggressive and deadly. 

Most experts however say the second wave was more aggressive because of the 1st World War.

We are not in a world war now, and we have  respirators, antibiotics, HIV drugs and much else which should mean that the conditions of 1918 will not be replicated.

• Like 1