Small Car For Pattaya Traffic - Suggestions

I want a small car to drive around in Pattaya and trips to Bangkok/Satta Hip. I have limited driving experience in Bangkok/Pattaya using rental cars (Toyota and Honda) from AVIS. What car would be idle? Should I buy new or used? 
Budget is less than 600K BHT (20K USD). 

Thinking about a Toyota Yarris/VIOS or Honda city/Jazz. Any other choices? 

Edited by Mulambana

4 minutes ago, essox essox said:

mitsubishi mirage, do not know the price of new one !!!

I had a Mitsubishi Attrage, great little car, and the Mirage is about the same. Prices upto 540k for the top models. But the Yaris/VIOS all good cars.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, essox essox said:

mitsubishi mirage, do not know the price of new one !!!

I'm checking mirage also. 510K for the base price with automatic. How is it compared to Yarris/Jazz accessery wise? Between Yarris/Mirrage which one is better accesory wise? Engine/performance may be same. Price of Yarris base model is 30K more compared to mirrage but does not have screen display. Mirrage has screen display in the base model. Assuming both are ABS and have both driver side and passenger side airbag. None have cruise control. Leaning towards mirrage now.

Edited by Mulambana

2 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Does it sew also ? 555

Yes, it has the similar numbers/HP as my ol' 1071cc Cooper S, and handles much the same with the addition of power steering and brakes that work......Oh what fun eh......????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mulambana said:

I'm checking mirage also. 510K for the base price with automatic. How is it compared to Yarris/Jazz accessery wise? Between Yarris/Mirrage which one is better accesory wise? Engine/performance may be same. Price of Yarris base model is 30K more compared to mirrage but does not have screen display. Mirrage has screen display in the base model. Assuming both are ABS and have both driver side and passenger side airbag. None have cruise control. Leaning towards mirrage now.

why do you need cruise control ?? when you want to drive around pattaya ???

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, essox essox said:

Erm...  duh !! cos someone may wish to drive a little further afield !!!... 

Op.. the little Mazda’s come fairly well specced out.

https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/mazda-2-sports-high-connect-bangkok-metropolitan-srinagarindra-thepharak/6635688

Or even a Mazda 3

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mulambana said:

here are some tips from me:

- original accessories in cars are often obsolete and grossly overpriced, it's often better to have aftermarket gadgets fitted afterwards

- the one thing that will always be a limitation is cargo space. buy the car with the most cargo space

- newer cars are much more expensive to maintain and fix due to expensive electronics and they have many more small parts that suffer wear and tear, often newer cars require original parts too that are much more expensive

- brand mechanic shops in Thailand are 2 to 3 times more expensive than the tinkerer around the corner

I think you will get the best value for your money buying cars such as a 2010 Honda CRV. These are quite cheap.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

Yes, it has the similar numbers/HP as my ol' 1071cc Cooper S, and handles much the same with the addition of power steering and brakes that work......Oh what fun eh......????

The best - excellent choice !

4 hours ago, transam said:

I have a weeeeeeeee Suzuki Celerio with CVT, goes well, can park near anywhere too. Engine is just under 1000cc, so is cheap to tax and insure, plus runs on E20. Mine has bigger wider wheels than standard so is a blast to chuck around....

The base automatic is 399K, seems to be the cheapest. How did you get bigger wheels? Is it an option?

1 hour ago, Mulambana said:

The base automatic is 399K, seems to be the cheapest. How did you get bigger wheels? Is it an option?

After market....Stock were 14x5 (165/65x14) I think, it now has 15x7 195/50x15...????

suz.jpg.bb8d6cf5a2d6b530d4719f93511010e2.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tgw said:

I think you will get the best value for your money buying cars such as a 2010 Honda CRV. These are quite cheap.

Not a bad idea. But I would prefer a VIOS/CIVIC/JAZZ small cars. I see 2011/2012 models are selling for around 100K with around 100K kilometers. Is that too cheap to beleive or the right price?

4 hours ago, essox essox said:

I agree. I’ve got CC on my bigger Honda, and even on the motorways the driving by others is so irrational I’ve only used it about 6 times in 3 years. Not sure any of the smaller cars have CC, but might be wrong.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Erm...  duh !! cos someone may wish to drive a little further afield !!!... 

Op.. the little Mazda’s come fairly well specced out.

https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/mazda-2-sports-high-connect-bangkok-metropolitan-srinagarindra-thepharak/6635688

Or even a Mazda 3

If I were to get a Mazda i would get a diesel. But not for reasons described in the OP

2 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

Whatever you decide, don't buy one that is "idle".  You want one that moves when the engine is on and the appropriate pedal is pressed.

Good point but I don't know who buys idle car (may be a mechanics). I'm now leaning towards a cheap celero or a 150K baht car with 100K KMs. I have only bought one used car in my life 40-years ago when I was in college. I always bought new car with cash payment and run it till it is 100K or more. My last car I bought a chevy Malibu in 2005 (the ame year I first visited Thailand) but it has only 47K miles and most of the time parked in my garage in the USA. Had to buy a new battery last time  I was in the USA. Used car does not attract me unless it is substantially cheap than a new one. For a few thouand dollars difference, I would prefer a new car. 

Edited by Mulambana