'Do not travel overseas': Australia raises restriction to highest level

webfact

'Do not travel overseas': Australia raises restriction to highest level

By Swati Pandey

2020-03-18T014604Z_1_LYNXMPEG2H06S_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-AUSTRALIA.JPG

Tables at an open restaurant are seen mostly deserted on a quiet morning at the waterfront of the Sydney Opera House, where scheduled public performances have been cancelled due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Sydney, Australia, March 18, 2020. REUTERS/Loren Elliott

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Wednesday said the country's citizens should abandon all overseas travel because of the coronavirus epidemic and banned all non-essential indoor gatherings of more than 100 people.

Morrison upgraded the official travel advice for Australians thinking of heading overseas to an unprecedented "Level 4: Do not travel" for the entire world.

"The travel advice to every Australian is 'Do not travel abroad. Do not go overseas," Morrison said during a televised news conference. "That is the first time that has ever happened in Australia's history."

Anybody who travels during a Level 4 ban is warned that the Australian government may not be able to assist if they get into trouble while abroad, according the government's official SmartTraveller website. It also recommends people already in a "do not travel" area consider leaving.

Australia has recorded around 425 infections and five deaths, but officials are growing increasingly concerned about the prospect of exponential rise in cases.

Morrison said schools would remain open, citing expert health guidance, and reiterated the need for social distancing and good hand hygiene to curb the spread of the virus.

The travel bans and other restrictions have crippled Australia's travel, tourism, retail and entertainment sectors.

Economists are predicting the country will slip into its first recession in nearly three decades in the first half of 2020.

The government unveiled an aid package for hard hit airlines on Wednesday, including waivers on domestic air traffic control fees.

Morrison has already flagged a stimulus package worth around A$17 billion (£8.44 billion) and said on Wednesday the government was "considering quite extensively further economic measures" to dull the impact on the economy.

The Reserve Bank of Australia this week pumped liquidity into money markets and has promised further stimulus measures will be announced on Thursday.

"This is a once in a hundred year type event," Morrison said. "We are going to keep Australia running. We are going to keep Australia functioning. It won’t look like it normally does."

(Reporting by Swati Pandey; Editing by Tom Hogue and Jane Wardell)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-18

I have deferred my trip to oz for 4 months with TG, no hassle no fuss no cost, done in 15 minutes... wonder how long before airlines will cancel all flight to Australia effectively leaving this continent with no air transport...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I have deferred my trip to oz for 4 months with TG, no hassle no fuss no cost, done in 15 minutes... wonder how long before airlines will cancel all flight to Australia effectively leaving this continent with no air transport...

It may happen...but hopefully not for too long. Nevertheless, once things sort of get back to normal, airlines won't necessarily be scrambling to immediately restore services. Some flights will be restored quickly...but the rest will depend on demand picking up again, which can take months or even as long as 2 years.

• Like 1

The wife and I are booked to fly to Oz next week. We don't expect to be able to return for quite a while, especially as Virgin are cancelling all international flights as of 31st March and Qantas/Jetstar are dropping 90% or their international flights. We tossed up whether to stay or go based on a few factors and go won. The wife is a permanent Oz resident so no problem there. A major factor we considered is where would be like to be when (not if) the virus erupts in Thailand/SEA and we may need quality medical care that may not be available - for her maybe - but for a farang maybe not. We can always come back when the situation improves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tifino said:

But... it is still not actually at the Highest Level!!    

- it is still only an Advisory

Highest level is when All Ozzie International travel is 'Blocked'

just keep up to date here:

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/ 

the 'advisory' currently at:

World map DNT cropped

Only a matter of time before there are no flights out of Australia.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, simple1 said:
2 hours ago, tifino said:

But... it is still not actually at the Highest Level!!    

- it is still only an Advisory

Highest level is when All Ozzie International travel is 'Blocked'

just keep up to date here:

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/ 

We now advise all Australians: do not travel overseas at this time. This is our highest advice level (level 4 of 4). 

Advisory also means any travel overseas whilst if force voids travel insurance

yes but they need to "Order No Travel!" 

- and Close the doors

it has to morph from "Advice" to "Order"

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tifino said:

- and Close the doors

Think you're being somewhat pedantic. My understanding is Travel Advisory 'do not travel' means you could travel outbound from Oz as an Oz citizen if you can find a carrier to do so, but not recommended as usual travel support services unavailable e.g. insurance / isolation issues at destination However, As they say - up to you.

Edited by simple1

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

Isn't the Oz government the first mover worldwide with the OP policy announcement?

I think the story goes, the Australian govt called out the WTO early in the piece and said this will be a pandemic but I guess what has happened since may not have been as China-esque as it probably needed to be.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, simple1 said:
57 minutes ago, tifino said:

- and Close the doors

Think you're being somewhat pedantic. My understanding is Travel Advisory 'do not travel' means you could travel outbound from Oz as an Oz citizen if you can find a carrier to do so, but not recommended as usual travel support services unavailable e.g. insurance / isolation issues at destination However, As they say - up to you.

still I see a big difference between 'You Can, but...' vs 'You Cannot'

The 'Can...', comes with all the warnings and provisos... and still the Level we are at.

smarttraveler even added the comment "...you may even die..."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

That continent has a first tier ranked national air carrier.... and lots and lots of fossil fuel reserves. How on earth will it ever have no air transport? Your veering of into the ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, jany123 said:

That continent has a first tier ranked national air carrier.... and lots and lots of fossil fuel reserves. How on earth will it ever have no air transport? Your veering of into the ridiculous.

My friend works for qantas. He flew out of oz yesterday but said it will be his last flight out for some time.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

"This is a once in a hundred year type event,"

I hope that he is right , but I do not think so ...

Humanity is just taught a lesson on how to avoid future virus infections be eliminating the original cause : No more wildlife markets or bushmeat trade .

We need to realize ( and act consequently ) that we need to preserve the biosphere and ecosystem ( keep it in balance ) .

If we do not learn ( and that is very possible ) , we will get more and worse until we understood ... but it will probably be too late by than ....

Edited by nobodysfriend

25 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

I hope that he is right , but I do not think so ...

Humanity is just taught a lesson on how to avoid future virus infections be eliminating the original cause : No more wildlife markets or bushmeat trade .

We need to realize ( and act consequently ) that we need to preserve the biosphere and ecosystem ( keep it in balance ) .

If we do not learn ( and that is very possible ) , we will get more and worse until we understood ... but it will probably be too late by than ....

Give it a rest with the 'we'.

I don't eat bush meat and neither do you.

'We' (civilised white folk) need to stop 'them' if anything is to change.

And the only way that will happen is by a war of extermination, Chinese to die first ....... good luck with that!

So the reality is nothing will ever change.

'We' will do what we want to do, and 'they' will do what they want to do.

....... and 'they' have the goddamned cheek to call 'us' 'dirty farangs' ............

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Sujo said:

My friend works for qantas. He flew out of oz yesterday but said it will be his last flight out for some time.

This may be true but it does not effect the content of my post... to wit, The airline and its capacity to provide air transport still exists within Australia. The quarantine is self imposed. It will not leave the countries without access to air travel. 

15 minutes ago, jany123 said:

This may be true but it does not effect the content of my post... to wit, The airline and its capacity to provide air transport still exists within Australia. The quarantine is self imposed. It will not leave the countries without access to air travel. 

Current info on Qantas, Virgin have cancelled all international flights out of Australia.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-17/qantas-coronavirus-cuts-capacity-by-90-per-cent/12062328

Edited by simple1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

Current info on Qantas, Virgin have cancelled all international flights out of Australia.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-17/qantas-coronavirus-cuts-capacity-by-90-per-cent/12062328

Sounds good. This should help Australia recover quicker, or at least “flatten the curve”. IMO, all countries should shut down ASAP, such that all countries suffer for the minimum time (vs any need to panic... simply simultaneous action)

That said, as long as Quantas, and other domestic Australian airlines, dont decommission their fleets, Australia will not be in a situation where it is without air transport.

lol... and even if they do... Boeing will replace that fleet pretty damn quick, to reestablish Australia’s air transport requirements.

i say all this obvious blah blah blah because my posting was originally a response to another members claim that Australia would be without air transport, the longer it isolates, which is ridiculous, for these and many other reasons.

Edited by jany123

Heading back on Tuesday. Don't want to take the risk of not being able to get back. Much rather be in an ozzie hospital when the sh!t hits the fan than laying, dying as my lungs fill up with mucous from pneumonia in an Issan hospital or more likely the village, which is the reality that a lot of the Thai and expat population can look forward too. Lot of rockets going off in the near future I suspect. Overreaction?...maybe ....worth the risk for me and the Thai wife...nuh.

5 hours ago, jany123 said:

Sounds good. This should help Australia recover quicker, or at least “flatten the curve”. IMO, all countries should shut down ASAP, such that all countries suffer for the minimum time (vs any need to panic... simply simultaneous action)

That said, as long as Quantas, and other domestic Australian airlines, dont decommission their fleets, Australia will not be in a situation where it is without air transport.

lol... and even if they do... Boeing will replace that fleet pretty damn quick, to reestablish Australia’s air transport requirements.

i say all this obvious blah blah blah because my posting was originally a response to another members claim that Australia would be without air transport, the longer it isolates, which is ridiculous, for these and many other reasons.

Agree. the planes will still take off and land with pilots only to keep them serviceable. No way will any responsible owner let the fleet go to wrack and ruin. Apparently the 737 Max planes are doing something similar elsewhere ( Canada maybe)

Edited by emptypockets

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Give it a rest with the 'we'.

I don't eat bush meat and neither do you.

'We' (civilised white folk) need to stop 'them' if anything is to change.

And the only way that will happen is by a war of extermination, Chinese to die first ....... good luck with that!

So the reality is nothing will ever change.

'We' will do what we want to do, and 'they' will do what they want to do.

....... and 'they' have the goddamned cheek to call 'us' 'dirty farangs' ............

Nothing wrong with bush tucker. eaten a lot over the years. Wild pig is great. Roo is not too bad either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Nothing wrong with bush tucker. eaten a lot over the years. Wild pig is great. Roo is not too bad either.

Indeed... and croc... but for some, bush tucker went out of vogue when milk started coming from cartons instead of cows.

Edited by jany123
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jany123 said:

Indeed... and croc... but for some, bush tucker went out of vogue when milk started coming from cartons instead of cows.

Philistines, should be taken out the back and shot.

Its the waste that gets me. Hadn't been back to Oz for quite a few months and the daughter (picked us up at the airport) pointed out a skeleton of a deer with no head near the gate to the property. She was disgusted as she had seen it before decomposition. Obviously some tosser wanted the head and antlers as a trophy, but why waste the meat? Decent feed of venison gone to waste by a city cowboy with no clue. Probably couldn't afford to eat the same meat in a fancy restaurant.

Edited by emptypockets