Phuket bars, clubs closed for 14 days over COVID-19 fears

webfact

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Anyone who promotes the current and coming reality as a hoax has some serious mental issues.

Of course it's not a hoax, but several board members are right that this is a massive beat up with people in today's world primed with fesr. It exaggerates everything, especially with the constant talk about it and irresponsible media stoking it constantly. 

4 minutes ago, FreemanBlu said:

Of course it's not a hoax, but several board members are right that this is a massive beat up with people in today's world primed with fesr. It exaggerates everything, especially with the constant talk about it and irresponsible media stoking it constantly. 

There's no vaccine or confirmed effective cure for this virus as yet, so the only way to stop it from spreading to much of the entire population and overwhelming the health care system is to take preventive measures -- closures, social distancing, masks, hand washing, etc etc.

If people aren't persuaded that the situation is serious and that they need to take preventive measure to help protect the health of everyone, the situation is going to get even worse. So I don't see that as irresponsible. I see that as prodding people to take the right steps for safeguarding the health of everyone.

On 3/18/2020 at 6:27 PM, alex8912 said:

Have there even been a case of Corona here?  I hope restaurants stay open They were crowded last night. Gyms as well. 

"A case of Corona". I'm sure there are many, both the good and bad.

• Haha 1

Well Xylo, you are clearly a very kind and empathetic guy and if you can spare the cash and time then that is an honourable course of action.

However, the latest updates would indicate that this crisis is going to continue for many months and so I think that most of the girls (and boys!) in the hospitality business are going to have no choice but to leave Phuket and return to their families.

I have been chatting on social media with one girl who lost her main job today and, like many, she has nothing to fall back on apart from prostitution. Sady, I am not in a position to help her....

Edited by London Lowf
To make it better.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, London Lowf said:

However, the latest updates would indicate that this crisis is going to continue for many months and so I think that most of the girls (and boys!) in the hospitality business are going to have no choice but to leave Phuket and return to their families.

Would it not be better to stay put if possible than all doing a mass migration back to the villages? 

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Would it not be better to stay put if possible than all doing a mass migration back to the villages? 

As the old saying goes, "they are between a rock and a hard place"...........going back home would entail travel fares which can amount to a few thousand baht anyway, but then there is the question of where they are currently living/staying.

Many of them will have lived in the same rooms for quite some time and will not want to give them up (especially if they have found one which is good value and in which they have some furniture) so if that's the case they will want to keep them, and that means they will have to pay rent? So they will pay rent whether they go or they stay!

Paying some sort of nominal rent, and keeping the room, and moving back home with family will at least ensure that they are fed and watered, however it's a difficult decision I would imagine, and I do feel so sorry for them.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DLock said:

Let me help you understand the seriousness of the situation, Snowflake.

Now forward to Italy in the last 24 hours - almost 6,000 new cases and 627 dead overnight...and now you can see where the UK is heading.

It's not all about You. Educate yourself.

Can you please post without insulting other people?

Edited by stevenl

A post containing an insulting comment toward other members has been removed as well as the replies:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

• Thanks 2

On 3/21/2020 at 2:00 AM, London Lowf said:

Well Xylo, you are clearly a very kind and empathetic guy and if you can spare the cash and time then that is an honourable course of action.

Thank you for your kind words, and the latest is............. 

I contacted a girl who was getting the girls together for a night out at her place, and asked her to round up the girls so that I could take them to a restaurant nearby a couple of days later, and she said she would do this.

Got a call this morning to say that none of the girls want to risk going to a restaurant with the virus about!!!! So that plan is all but scuttled, so maybe I'll distribute some cash amongst the girls so that they can eat where and when they want?

I have used that favourite bar for many years now and know many of the girls by name, and they me likewise, so would love to do something to help.

PS. Afterthought.......I could put a little money their way and also give them two or three bottles of wine to help out, as I do collect the stuff and have enough spare.......so they can eat and drink as and where they want!

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 2

On 3/21/2020 at 11:51 AM, xylophone said:

As the old saying goes, "they are between a rock and a hard place"...........going back home would entail travel fares which can amount to a few thousand baht anyway, but then there is the question of where they are currently living/staying.

Many of them will have lived in the same rooms for quite some time and will not want to give them up (especially if they have found one which is good value and in which they have some furniture) so if that's the case they will want to keep them, and that means they will have to pay rent? So they will pay rent whether they go or they stay!

Paying some sort of nominal rent, and keeping the room, and moving back home with family will at least ensure that they are fed and watered, however it's a difficult decision I would imagine, and I do feel so sorry for them.  

Another couple of astute high quality Posts xylophone ????????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To quote a well known phrase from Star Trek, "it's life Jim, but not as we know it"............ 

And that seems to apply here because the life we have known before seems to have come to an abrupt halt with very few people around the shopping malls, and bars and restaurants closed.

I haven't seen any "panic buying" as such, however a couple of days ago at Tops in Phuket Central, I did see a Thai lady with two full trolleys of various things, although no toilet paper involved!

And my efforts to be able to help the girls from my favourite bar have come to nothing because I have been told by their "leader" that none of them are coming out and they are staying in their rooms, even after I offered to drop off some money and bottles of wine for them!

In addition my Thai daughter who is in Phuket town, sent me a long email about wearing a mask and washing my hands, and has even bought some facemasks online for me, because she is worried about me – that's very nice to know (she is a great young lady).

Will have to see how this pans out in Patong, as it seems to be a case of those who are genuinely scared, versus those who are just following "orders"?

• Like 2

Well Xylo, you seem to have been a good influence on me as I have just given a helping hand to my main regular squeeze from my last visit – she did go above and beyond!

I think that the problem is that Thais in general do not save for a rainy day – as soon as they get some cash they send some home to the family and then whatever is left over is blown on clothes, shoes, yet more tattoos, cheap jewellery and also their friends – they do seem to look after one another. When a crisis strikes, or their customers dry up, they have nothing to fall back on.

My friend is now out of work and wants to go home, but can not even get her hands on B1,500 for the fare, so I sent her that and some extra to make the transfer worthwhile.

She talked me into using PayPal rather than my preferred Western Union so she will probably lose 20% in fees and forex charges.

I was worried that she would just blow it, but I don ‘t think that any shoe shops are open so maybe she will make it home!

Edited by London Lowf