Drama in downtown Buriram: Drug dealer shot dead by police after fleeing sting through department store

webfact

Drama in downtown Buriram: Drug dealer shot dead by police after fleeing sting through department store

9pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported that a well known drug dealer in Buriram was shot dead after fleeing a police sting in the car park of a department store in Muang district. 

Muang police had been conducting a sting when the suspect got wise and tried to fire on officers twice but his gun failed to fire. 

He then ran off though the department store panicking shoppers. 

Continuing he ran out the front of the store and holed up in a second hand goods yard opposite the store.

For twenty minutes police tried to persuade him to give himself up. 

He then ran off again this time discharging two shots that missed police. 

Officers fired back and hit him in the chest. 

He was then on the ground next to a convenience store where several members of the public were hiding in fear of their lives. 

Police cordoned off the area and waited amid fears that the suspect might shoot again. 

Finally they decided to charge and found the suspect mortally wounded. He was given CPR but was dead on arrival at Buriram Hospital.

He was found in possession of a .357 revolver that still had four bullets in it. He had a phone and a quantity of Ya Ba. 

Sanook reported that he was a well known and influential drug dealer in the area known by the nickname "Sant Nong Don". 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-18
  • Haha 2

Near BigC, where I saw a guy on a motorbike deposit a green plastic bag near a rubbish bin. Immediately another guy went to pick it up and disappear. Call the police? And give what description, say what? I didn't have a car cam then. 

• Confused 2

Was doing some shopping in the BigC and the guy followed by several armed police ran right past us, not good seeing an armed guy in a shopping mall so we got the hell out of Dodge, later heard the outcome, not a very clever move of the police doing such an operation with a potentially armed drug dealer on the parking place of a BIg C....

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Sanook reported that a well known drug dealer in Buriram was shot dead after fleeing a police sting in the car park of a department store in Muang district. 

I take it he wasn't selling face masks then.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Shooting near innocent people and you call it well done? 

Were any innocent people hurt?

Did the drug dealer shoot as well also near those innocent civilians, or doesn't that matter to you? What if he had taken a civilian as a hostage and then killed the hostage?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jip99 said:

So you would rather they just left him alone ?

No not saying that, it's one less to worry about, but if he was a known " famous" drug dealer they probably knew he could carry a firearm, so would be wiser to choose a less crowded place for their sting operation

5 minutes ago, Dutchbike said:

No not saying that, it's one less to worry about, but if he was a known " famous" drug dealer they probably knew he could carry a firearm, so would be wiser to choose a less crowded place for their sting operation

Fair point but the 'sting' was set up in the car park. Whether they had considered a possible escape through the store is an interesting point.

I guess you can't set these things up in an open field - was Big C car park the best place? In hindsight probably not. Perhaps they didn't expect him to have a gun - or shoot it. Thankfully it was a good result I am happy to praise the police for ensuring that the general public were not harmed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, puchooay said:

Not "Lockdown". The use of that word has caused a lot of confusion.

Life goes on as normal for anyone who has not recently arrived in Buriram. No closures, no restrictions on movement.

Agree with you except for one correction. The Tue., Thur., Sat. evening outdoor market, near the back entrance to Taweekit has been closed down. (I'm guessing they'll shutdown the Sat./Sun. walking street market down town too.)

18 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Fair point but the 'sting' was set up in the car park. Whether they had considered a possible escape through the store is an interesting point.

I guess you can't set these things up in an open field - was Big C car park the best place? In hindsight probably not. Perhaps they didn't expect him to have a gun - or shoot it. Thankfully it was a good result I am happy to praise the police for ensuring that the general public were not harmed.

Actually living here, I'm familiar with this BigC. (In fact the missus and I were there about 2 hrs. before this occurred.)

There are two actual parking lots/entrances. The front/main parking is on the main road leading into town. Around back, there is a second and slightly larger lot that actually abuts a large open field (sometimes used for overflow parking for the Songkran holiday shopping crowds). From the OP, my guess is that they set up the sting out back, where there are many empty parking spots at the edge of the parking lot near this open field. When he sussed out the situation, he must have run into the back entrance of the store and out through the front, hoping to shake the coppers in the crowd. From the photos I saw, it appears he tried to run across the main road out front and may have been shot on the opposite side of the road from BigC. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hank Gunn said:

Actually living here, I'm familiar with this BigC. (In fact the missus and I were there about 2 hrs. before this occurred.)

There are two actual parking lots/entrances. The front/main parking is on the main road leading into town. Around back, there is a second and slightly larger lot that actually abuts a large open field (sometimes used for overflow parking for the Songkran holiday shopping crowds). From the OP, my guess is that they set up the sting out back, where there are many empty parking spots at the edge of the parking lot near this open field. When he sussed out the situation, he must have run into the back entrance of the store and out through the front, hoping to shake the coppers in the crowd. From the photos I saw, it appears he tried to run across the main road out front and may have been shot on the opposite side of the road from BigC. 

Yes, in Thai social media the Fortune hotel was mentioned.