Lucky we live in Chiang Rai!

villagefarang

On 3/27/2020 at 9:09 AM, sceadugenga said:

I have my scheduled tests at the Overbrook next month, not sure how that is going to work out.

I'd appreciate feedback on the Overbrook, which is close by. I've heard the doctors there are arrogant towards farangs, and it's expensive. Data and your thoughts welcome.

1 hour ago, SoilSpoil said:

I have the feeling that Villagefarang seems like a genuine nice bloke, dont get me wrong  but is he  taking a significant portion of prozac, or something? Living in Chiang Rai is a @#$$, hell right now, and among the most polluted places on earth. Just pay a visit to the local hospitals and say hello to some of the children on respirators there. With your 'happy' voice.

To post that living in CR is so wonderful, with your air purifiers and ac's, is as intelligent as posting that life on Mars is so great. It reeks to a mix  of arrogance and ignorance.

Sometimes its better to say nothing all and just enjoy your privileged life in silence. Like I tend to do.

hook , line and sinker .. your first few words are not correct .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

VF you sure take a lot of <deleted> on this forum. :clap2:

I just want you to know I still have that photo of you bending all the way over doing yoga and when the time is right I will release it into the world again like the corona virus.  

I have some great photos if you know where to look .. Ncc1701A want to swap.

Edited by kevvy

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'd appreciate feedback on the Overbrook, which is close by. I've heard the doctors there are arrogant towards farangs, and it's expensive. Data and your thoughts welcome.

I've been a regular there for nearly two years and never had any problems with doctor attitude.

I suppose price depends on your needs, major surgery is expensive, sure, other stuff not so much by western standards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

VF you sure take a lot of <deleted> on this forum. :clap2:

I just want you to know I still have that photo of you bending all the way over doing yoga and when the time is right I will release it into the world again like the corona virus.  :cheesy:

good luck with your great life.

It is not all bad.  The love can sometimes be quite embarrassing.

19 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Living in Chiang Rai is a @#$$, hell right now, and among the most polluted places on earth. Just pay a visit to the local hospitals and say hello to some of the children on respirators there. ...

To post that living in CR is so wonderful, with your air purifiers and ac's, is as intelligent as posting that life on Mars is so great. It reeks to a mix  of arrogance and ignorance.

Hmmm...

I don't live in Chiang-Rai but it is one of my favorite places to visit.

True, I haven't been there at the peak of the pollution the city and province suffers.

And before relocating there I would surely check out that aspect in full before taking the decision.

But without the mostly self-inflicted pollution, it's imo a great place to live so I can easily relate to VillageFarang's posts.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Hmmm...

I don't live in Chiang-Rai but it is one of my favorite places to visit.

True, I haven't been there at the peak of the pollution the city and province suffers.

And before relocating there I would surely check out that aspect in full before taking the decision.

But without the mostly self-inflicted pollution, it's imo a great place to live so I can easily relate to VillageFarang's posts.

So can I, but not his timing.

On 3/28/2020 at 5:48 PM, SoilSpoil said:

living in CR is so wonderful, with your air purifiers and ac's, is as intelligent as posting that life on Mars is so great

Thanks, SoilSpoil.

5 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

It seems to me city life loses its appeal when one is required to self isolate.  No work, no entertainment, no restaurants, people crowded into high-rise buildings with no place to exercise.

Living in rural Chiang Rai we know our neighbors and don't share elevators and public spaces with strangers.  There is space to grow fruit and vegetables, as well as walk the dogs.  Keeping your distance from others is easy and we all know who has returned from another part of Thailand, so we can exercise additional caution while still being polite and friendly from a distance.

A drive through the countryside with a stop or two to share an excess of Mayomchit from an over productive tree is relaxing.  Open space and nature is generally more soothing than concrete and confined spaces.

All things considered, I still think Chiang Rai is where I would rather be and I feel lucky to live here.????

I hear you

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yes VF a very rare site these days on my many trips to the hospital in CM drove by it on a regular basis for quite a few months and never saw it not totally busting at the seems  with tourists. That must have been a very pleasant walk around . Thanks great photos as always.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@villagefarang

Which part of Chiang Rai province do you recommend staying that is not too isolated and not too busy like in the capital of the province?

Not too isolated means we can find supermarkets like BigC there. 

We don't need all the high-end Tops, Rimping, Tesco etc., just the smaller ones will do.

Edited by EricTh

6 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

Was the Royal Project shop open?

I didn't notice it so can't say for sure.  We were in that area because the bathrooms on the lower level were the only ones open and all the shops on that level were closed as far as I could see.  The produce vendors located between the two buildings were selling and Tops was busy but everything else seemed pretty much deserted.  I was looking for Greek Yogurt and a few other things which were out of stock on our last visit.  We got everything we wanted.

Also stopped at Chiwit Thamma Da for some takeout and bread along with a stop at the Baan Mai market not far from there.  That is my wife's favorite market when we are in town.  Filled up the car with goodies and headed home.  It was nice to get out of the house for a change.????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

@villagefarang

Which part of Chiang Rai province do you recommend staying that is not too isolated and not too busy like in the capital of the province?

Not too isolated means we can find supermarkets like BigC there. 

We don't need all the high-end Tops, Rimping, Tesco etc., just the smaller ones will do.

There is a Makro and BigC on the north side of town near the airport intersection.  The other BigC is pretty much across the highway from Central Plaza and they are located more on the southern end of town.  Chiang Rai really isn't that big so there should be lots of choice within 10 km of town.  We are over 50 km east of town in Phayamengrai and I love it here but it is not for everyone.  Sorry I don't have any experience living in town close to shopping so don't know how to advise you on that.

Edited by villagefarang