Any point in visiting pattaya during 14 day lockdown?

ghworker2010

2 hours ago, tropo said:

The most extreme example comes out of Italy with 1 person dying every 4 minutes

Ok, but Italy also has the second oldest population in the world.  This does raise their statistics.

Edited by Leaver

12 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Ok, but Italy also has the second oldest population in the world.  This does raise their statistics.

they always get a pass on sanitation (Italy), and reality is far different.

Edited by moontang

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Perhaps one of the worlds largest tourism industries might have increased the risk.

Looking at a list of the world's most visited countries, we have France, Spain, USA and Italy in the top 4 of 5 spots. The other is China. Spain is not far behind Italy and France is catching up in the number of infections.

7 minutes ago, tropo said:

It's not spreading? It's a fake pandemic? I don't know, I just read the news.

Not really what I said. Just that the amount of testing will impact on the number of results, and confirmed cases are only the result of testing I believe.  Statistics have to be viewed with the background in mind.

I am just being told by Italian doctors that their frightening statistics do not include those who die in care homes and at home. People there admit to wanting to keep their sick elderly family members at home, as once they are sent to hospital, they will never see them again. 

Edited by jacko45k

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I am just being told by Italian doctors that their frightening statistics, do not include those who die in care homes and at home.

Are you talking to them in English or Italian ?

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not really what I said. Just that the amount of testing will impact on the number of results, and confirmed cases are only the result of testing I believe.  Statistics have to be viewed with the background in mind.

I am just being told by Italian doctors that their frightening statistics do not include those who die in care homes and at home. People there admit to wanting to keep their sick elderly family members at home, as once they are sent to hospital, they will never see them again. 

Let me use some of today's news out of Australia as example. Australia is taking this threat VERY seriously (in contrast to the half hearted effort in Thailand) with NSW and Victoria about to go into lockdown, and all non-essential services shut down and schools closing on Monday.

Quote from ABC News:

"The country's rate of new confirmed coronavirus cases is now growing at 20-25 per cent a day, with some projections showing between 1 or 2 million Australians could be infected by the end of April.

If those numbers were reached, tens of thousands of people would be dead based on the mortality rate recorded by China earlier this year"

Those projections are truly frightening. Australia's population is close to 1/3 of the population of Thailand 24.6/69.04 million (2017). So if the projections are so dismal in a country locked down and taking this threat seriously, what are the projections for Thailand?  

The short story is I definitely don't think Pattaya will be back to normal anytime soon, and not by April.

On 3/21/2020 at 3:03 PM, tropo said:

Have a look at the latest infection updates from around the world. The most extreme example comes out of Italy with 1 person dying every 4 minutes and the rest of Europe is on a similar trajectory. In Iran, it's one person dying every 10 minutes. This has just begun. It was not long ago that they witnessed the first human to human infection. You won't be able to party in bars in Pattaya anytime soon. Of particular note are the US statistics. Confirmed cases were in the hundreds a few weeks ago, and now they've topped 20,000 confirmed cases.

Even in a "normal" year 4 Italians die every 4 minutes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Nice try. In a normal year they die from 100's of different causes.

Using CIA Factbook estimates, the death rate (pre-covid19) in Italy is 5 deaths per 4 minutes.

Yesterday morning there were 3400 reported deaths from covid19. In just over 24 hours that has risen to just over 4800 deaths. 1400 deaths since yesterday.

Yesterday I mentioned 1 person dying of coronavirus every 4 minutes. That has just increased to 1 person dying per minute, virtually doubling the "normal" death rate in Italy.

Try as you might, you can't spin this in a positive way. 

15 hours ago, Henryford said:

These are deaths specifically from Covid-19. Possibly the death rate is now 8 every 4 minutes. Actually the number of daily deaths and new infections was reduced yesterday over the previous day... a glimmer, I hope. 

On 3/21/2020 at 12:25 PM, Finspin said:

I’ve been in Pattaya for 4 days, lockdown conditions were inposed the following day. Was put into pub crawl by police closing down the bar I’d just entered that first night. Restaurants serving alcohol have now been told to stop serving beer. Some establishments are ignoring the new rules. They are becoming harder to find.

i like to have a normal massage every day. Can’t now, all closed down. I’ve found somewhere after much searching for a beer and good company , but I’m not telling .

Had I expected the current situation to occur, I would have cancelled my trip.. I’m here now and will try to make the best of it

A good time to brush up on your Thai language 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 9:06 PM, ghworker2010 said:

come on. Its only a virus. Im not an old fogie and thus will not die from it. We can all handle a runny nose and cough. My advice to you is not get too caught up in all the media drama

I went to Macro a couple of weeks ago - can't remember exactly - and I was "temperature-checked" on my forehead by the security guy with the thermometer gun (or whatever it was called), and I failed; I believe mine was over 37.4 (could be the incorrect number), so he gestured I wait to one side. After a few minutes he indicated I re-test, which I again failed. This happened a third time, so I went back to the car and sat in it with the a/c till the car cooled down and waited for a few minutes. I then returned to try to get in to Macro... and this time I passed.

On 3/22/2020 at 8:21 AM, Don Mega said:

To be fair in Thailand it is only 6 cases per 1 million of population so it really is naff all.

Because the official tally is sooooo accurate. They were ignoring Pneumonia cases for weeks. So few have been tested. 80% asymptomatic. Combined with the SOP of this regime and.... their number are SUPER reliable. ahem....

• Like 1

Two posts removed

17) You will not discuss the specifics of prostitution. Though Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgement of that fact is not forbidden, ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

On 3/19/2020 at 7:08 PM, Mac98 said:

Have you ever walked the business side of Beach Road, in either direction,  and felt like you were trying to go uphill during a landslide? Well, it's not like that now. And you can enjoy strong ocean breezes. There are some bars open. I'm sure you could find a massage girl on Beach Road. I enjoyed a massage today.

err... no..

3 minutes ago, safarimike11 said:

I thought about adding that, but decided it would be wasted.

(But seriously) I just raised the subject with my wife, mentioning my question about the first signs of the coronavirus - that you said it was a "pain in the throat, well you were correct, but in English we would actually say a sore throat"; she laughed - which indicated to me that she understood.