I think there is a fair chance I already had Covid-19 and now there may be a way to find out

Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

This test according to that conference isn't even available in the U.K. yet but will be. So questions remain about when it will be available, the cost, how widespread such testing for previous cases might be done, and also the question of the timing of access to it in Thailand, if any.

If it is the one produced by Alphabio that was featured in the UK's media then its proposed cost is £125 + vat but it does appear to be aimed at the commercial and health sectors for organizations that wish to test employee's to try and prevent any who are unaware they may be infected from furthering it amongst the rest of the workforce .. As far as can be seen production of the kits will be directed to those organization deemed to need them the most before there will be any private availability .. If you have contracted it J T drink loads of water , eat loads of fresh fruit for the vit's content and aspirin to treat the symptoms .. some say Ibuprofen but the evidence for its effectiveness is not great ..

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp

Yes Boris Johnson just mentioned that they are in negotiation to buy hundreds of thousands of the new antibody tests and he mentioned again about the usefulness of knowing about the numbers of people that have HAD the virus already distinguished from testing for current infections. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It will also be helpful in deciding (or at least prioritizing) who to vaccinate. Once a vaccine is ready it will still take a lot of time to produce the vast quantities needed to met demand.

Yes once a vaccine is ready for the public you're obviously right that people in high risk groups should be and probably will be prioritized. 

However such a vaccine is not likely to be available for a year and more likely 18 months so I question whether they would know that infection over a year ago would still provide any current immunity that would rule out giving a vaccine especially to people in high risk groups. 

On 3/19/2020 at 1:13 AM, Jingthing said:

Because of the theory that having it already provides at least some level of immunity.

We had the discussion about a possible vaccine based on the antibodies an infected body produces .

AFAIK it did not work .

Immunity may not last a long time , and there have been reports of already cured patients in China who became reinfected .

44 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

We had the discussion about a possible vaccine based on the antibodies an infected body produces .

AFAIK it did not work .

Immunity may not last a long time , and there have been reports of already cured patients in China who became reinfected .

Those reports about reinfection are rare and most likely due to testing error according to Dr. Sanjay Gupta. Most likely having had it does provide some immunity. The question is how much and for how long. Of course there is a lot that is not definitively known yet about this virus as it's so new. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Antibodies and PCR tests are not relevant for the outcoming of a  "cold" both tests can be positiv. The critical question is whether the virus has mutated or not inside the host organism.

• Like 2

According to what I've read, there are two variants of the virus. It sounds like they're very similar, but one is better at infecting humans. I suspect immunity to one would provide immunity to the other, but I've seen no data on that.

In the future, we may see stains different enough to require a new vaccine every year. We'll see.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Those reports about reinfection are rare and most likely due to testing error according to Dr. Sanjay Gupta. Most likely having had it does provide some immunity. The question is how much and for how long. Of course there is a lot that is not definitively known yet about this virus as it's so new. 

That is correct .

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/20/819038431/do-you-get-immunity-after-recovering-from-a-case-of-coronavirus

----In studies, human volunteers who agreed to be experimentally inoculated with a seasonal coronavirus , ( not Covid 19 ) , showed that even people with pre-existing antibodies could still get infected and have symptoms. ----

Time will tell ... If a lasting immunity could be acquired after having been cured of Covid , a vaccine against it will be developed soon ...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Unify said:

According to what I've read, there are two variants of the virus. It sounds like they're very similar, but one is better at infecting humans. I suspect immunity to one would provide immunity to the other, but I've seen no data on that.

In the future, we may see stains different enough to require a new vaccine every year. We'll see.

Correct , there is the S and the L stain . one is a little more contagious than the other , but both are basically the same .

There is also the possibility that the virus itself mutates into a more ( or less ) deadly version .

Mutations in viruses are very common .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Unify said:

It's probably likely that this virus is with us indefinitely but that it will eventually not be an epidemic threat but a more normal one where a vaccine is available.

On 3/18/2020 at 8:24 PM, Justgrazing said:

If it is the one produced by Alphabio that was featured in the UK's media then its proposed cost is £125 + vat but it does appear to be aimed at the commercial and health sectors for organizations that wish to test employee's to try and prevent any who are unaware they may be infected from furthering it amongst the rest of the workforce .. As far as can be seen production of the kits will be directed to those organization deemed to need them the most before there will be any private availability .. If you have contracted it J T drink loads of water , eat loads of fresh fruit for the vit's content and aspirin to treat the symptoms .. some say Ibuprofen but the evidence for its effectiveness is not great ..

Hi, The use of anti inflammatory medicines are not advised to treat this virus ! There have been warnings on TV and the international press ! Apparently can make the infection worse . If you think you have caught this virus, use only Paracetamol wisely , if you have a fever and call your doctor.

On 3/19/2020 at 6:26 AM, Jingthing said:

To be clear, I had these symptoms LONG AGO. I don't have the symptoms now so  there is nothing to treat.

I thought I made that clear enough. 
There is strong evidence that the virus was circulating in Wuhan for MONTHS before information about the crisis became public.

During those MONTHS before anyone knew about any virus, before "social isolation" masks and alcohol gels was on the mass public's consciousness there were masses of Chinese tourists in Pattaya. While the bus tour type were largely isolated to people serving them a fair portion of those Chinese tourists were independent travelers. I had frequent exposure to them over a long period of time in crowded Chinese restaurants. 

So yes I do think it's entirely possible that I caught the virus during the earlier days of this, well before Golden Week where there were mass cancellations. I can't possibly know the odds either way.

Back to the topic. Yes I would like to know if I did have it before for the reasons stated in my OP so if there's a test for that I'd be interested.

There was some noise that people were getting reinfected on the news but just tonight a famous U.S. t.v. doctor Dr. Gupta rejected that and attributed that to testing error.

Of course if this become a seasonal thing (entirely possible) that never goes away then immunity from this year would either be limited or nonexistent and high risk people would need to get new annual vaccine jabs. 

Good luck with the test once you find out if positive, will you take the time frame trace it back to who you were in contact with before and after now that would be interesting?  Because of that I hope you just had the flu.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes once a vaccine is ready for the public you're obviously right that people in high risk groups should be and probably will be prioritized. 

If you already have the antibody, then that's nothing to worry. Doctors might even want your antibody for their patients.

7 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Good luck with the test once you find out if positive, will you take the time frame trace it back to who you were in contact with before and after now that would be interesting?  Because of that I hope you just had the flu.

As far as I know the type of test I'd be interested in that would show that person had it before but doesn't now is not available in Thailand or even perhaps in the U.K. yet. So your second question is moot. 

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If you already have the antibody, then that's nothing to worry. Doctors might even want your antibody for their patients.

I'd like to know because it would probably mean at least some current immunity. Not about worrying. About worrying less. Funny what you say about the use of such blood. I don't know if this is something to be proud of or not but back in the day my blood was used as part of a study that eventually led to the development of the Hepatitis B vaccine.

On 3/19/2020 at 9:23 PM, ukrules said:

In a few months time antibody tests will be plentiful and I believe they will replace PCR tests for diagnosis, they're quick and cheap but they're still in development at the moment.

By the time you show symptoms there will be antibodies, I read about a test being launched by a Japanese company which is based on antibody detection and can detect them before it reliably shows up in PCR tests.

This new technology is coming.

I have been looking at various tests in development, plus the Chinese test alleged to be an antibody test. It's not clear that these tests will distinguish between someone sick and someone who has already recovered from the virus. Can anybody explain this?

13 hours ago, donnacha said:

It means we can ask those people, the immune, to fill roles that come into contact with the vulnerable, or assist the infected without any danger to themselves, or even just do tasks where being in contact with large numbers of people is unavoidable.

Works if those who are 'over' Covid-19 do not relapse into a 2nd case of Covid-19. There seems to be evidence a further case of Covid-19 after the first case is possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1