Thailand designates 10 more countries as COVID-19 “high-risk”

webfact

Thailand designates 10 more countries as COVID-19 “high-risk”

AP-vir-6.2.jpg

A person wearing a mask stands at a window of a staff accommodation block where British nationals recently flown back from China and at risk from the new virus are being quarantined, at Arrowe Park Hospital, on the Wirral, in Liverpool, England, Wednesday Feb. 5, 2020. Britain on Tuesday urged all of its citizens in China to leave the country because of the outbreak of a respiratory illness from a new virus, while Belgium became the latest nation to announce a confirmed case. (AP Photo/Jon Super)

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) has designated ten more countries as “high-risk” for COVID-19, and citizens of these countries travelling to Thailand are now required to produce proof of health insurance and doctor’s certificate to enter Thailand. They could also to be subjected to 14-days of quarantine at locations designated by the Thai government.

The ten countries are Spain, France, Germany, Britain, Switzerland, Japan, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and the United States.

On March 6th, China, South Korea, Iran and Italy and two Chinese territories, Hong Kong and Macau, were designated as “high-risk” or “Dangerous Infectious Disease” zones.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-designates-10-more-countries-as-covid-19-high-risk/

thaipbs.jpg

34 minutes ago, riclag said:

Non O retirement and marriage  visa holders will imop be required to get medical insurance soon, despite living in Thailand before the CV started in China 

80% of  people recover  with  mild  symptoms, picking  up  my  new  1 yr  extension at immigration  today, marriage

Edited by Chazar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

What about returning Brits on retirement visa ie me????

Me too. In the UK at the moment with my dual citizen son. Due to return on 30th. Extension renewal on 23 April. Things a bit tight now. Maybe there will be some concession for parents of Thai citizens. I have medical insurance but how I could get a medical certificate in the UK that would satisfy Thailand immigration who knows, 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sniggie said:

Me too. In the UK at the moment with my dual citizen son. Due to return on 30th. Extension renewal on 23 April. Things a bit tight now. Maybe there will be some concession for parents of Thai citizens. I have medical insurance but how I could get a medical certificate in the UK that would satisfy Thailand immigration who knows, 

Go to a Dr and ask to get a letter stating that you and son have no symptoms of the virus. That will help with the IOs at swampy. Probably needs to be done on the day you fly. If there is a Thai Govt form then use that.

• Like 1

"citizens of these countries " ??

I very much doubt that is actually how the rule is worded.

More likely people (of any nationality except possibly Thai nationals) traveling from these countries..

That is how the rules have been worded so far.

I certainly hope so as I am traveling to the Poipet/Aran border crossing today.

No update so far on https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, riclag said:

Non O retirement and marriage  visa holders will imop be required to get medical insurance soon, despite living in Thailand before the CV started in China 

does your keyboard type without any input from you, if so gt it soted, and post something that is sensible, who at this stage would cover for coronavirus

30 minutes ago, steve187 said:

does your keyboard type without any input from you, if so gt it soted, and post something that is sensible, who at this stage would cover for coronavirus

I know I took it out last August before any Corona hit the fan, but my Cigna policy will pay for tests and any consequent hospitalisation due to Covid. Got it in writing last week.

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

"citizens of these countries " ??

I very much doubt that is actually how the rule is worded.

More likely people (of any nationality except possibly Thai nationals) traveling from these countries..

That is how the rules have been worded so far.

I certainly hope so as I am traveling to the Poipet/Aran border crossing today.

No update so far on https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php

That's what I was wondering. My visa expires on 2 April but I need to be back here as I had a recent operation here and the doctor wants me around so he can do follow-up consultations for the next month or so. I have a UK passport but haven't been to the US (or Europe) for about a year. 

4 hours ago, sniggie said:

Assuming that UK is added to the list of danger zones (not yet on MoPH website as such but announcement made to that effect so probably about to happen) I think it is unlikely you will be able to travel on the 30th unless you can meet the twin requirements of medical certificate and proof of insurance and/or rules change.

Point of enforcement is at check in so check with the airlines as to what they will accept.  

If you do not have insurance could try the various Thai companies advertising COVID special policies and see if any will issue one online and to a foreign national.

Note that even if you get in may face a 14 day mandatory quarantine on arrival.

Also quote possible flight will be cancelled. 

Yoy may have to just delay return and start all overwith a non-O issued by Embassy in UK.

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

From the CAAT website updated yesterday:

"1. Where the Ministry of Public Health defines any territory outside Thailand as a Disease Infected Zone of the Coronavirus Disease (COVID–19) Outbreak, or where Department of Disease Control defines any territory as an Ongoing Local Transmission Area, the passengers with the travel history in the last 14 days in such Disease Infected Zone or Ongoing Transmission Area must be subject to quarantine and any other measures for the prevention and control of communicable diseases as imposed by the Government of the Kingdom of Thailand....."

(It does not list the countries, just references the MoPH website which is nto yet updated but of course could be at any time).

Nothing about citizenship. 

Once again bad reporting.

This is also not bad for staying updated. It covers all of Asean: https://www.aseanbriefing.com/news/coronavirus-asia-asean-live-updates-by-country/

This is total madness. On Friday PM Prayuth included UK & 9 other countries on list requiring the impossible-to-get health certificate. Yesterday this was contradicted by the MOH statement https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/ind_outbreak.php Now the CAAT says the requirement is back!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Inepto Cracy said:

T I C, Travel International Consultants, does cover me on an existing policy,

I have this in writing from 3 weeks ago, for Corona Virus - 19.

Don't know about other insurance policies.

My insurer (April) has emailed several times (unsolicited) confirming COVID is covered. I think this will be true for any regular (i.e. not travel insurance) international health policy already in effect.  Travel policies however soetimes have clauses excluding epidemics. And likely anyone newly getting insurance now will face an exclusion for COVID.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I think it is unlikely you will be able to travel on the 30th unless you can meet the twin requirements of medical certificate and proof of insurance and/or rules change.

Sheryl, welcome back!

Another thread from yesterday had a sample medical certificate blank:

no guarantees, of course, as to whether this is real or would stand up for an IO. But I have seen many reports in foreign media (AU, UK etc) of GP surgeries telling people not to even think about trying to get one signed.

4 hours ago, sniggie said:

Go to a GP three days or less before you leave and get a medical cert. There will most llikely be a charge. Try and get it stamped if possible with contact details for the practice on it.

5 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Wasn't the UK put on the high risk list several days ago....? 

It was put in Category 2, which was one of being a country of 'ongoing transmission', or words similar to that. Officially at least, that meant arriving in Thailand still allowed  travel around the country but using this dud reporting app, reporting daily. Category 1 nations (China, Iran etc) were serious problems, an obligatory quarantine in one place.

It sounds like UK is still category 1, but if you need this medical clearance in advance now I can just imagine people cancelling at the UK end because if I read things correctly this certificate has to be presented to the airline at the UK  check in. It wouldn't be worth the hassle coming here now, unless somebody is an expat here. 

Some things are closed, possibly expanding into more close down soon, money changing booths closing, return flights being cancelled by airlines, I say the biggest issue somebody would face would be zero sympathy in Britain for anyone who knowingly leaves UK now and gets stuck. Even at this stage the usual angry culprits are ranting about people who have been out of the country for months, only experiencing issues now when this was largely only China based for the bulk of their time out of the UK.

You can guarantee these people  come out for a rant, just as they harrang anyone who is an experienced hiker and gets into trouble in the mountains 'once' ("Selfish arrogant fools putting others lives at risk", blah blah).

Anyone leaving the UK now will get no support in the event of getting stuck here further down the line- only overt hostility from other Brits.

The current UK stance is that it is not their call but the duty of airlines to assist. People are on their own if they head out here now.