BANGKOK
possum1931

Scottish Square Sausages.

Anyone know where I can get nutmeg and coriander to use in making Scottish square sausage?

Possum, there is an outfit in Bangkok called Zing street, they have all sorts of Indian spices.

They have a website, deliver all over the country, good stuff at very reasonable prices, i use them myself.

• Like 1

Makro has a wide range of dried spices,but I don't

remember seeing Nutmeg.

regards Worgeordie

• Thanks 1

Lotus and Big C both sell the small bottles. El Avion or Tesco own...that's Pattaya

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Possum, there is an outfit in Bangkok called Zing street, they have all sorts of Indian spices.

They have a website, deliver all over the country, good stuff at very reasonable prices, i use them myself.

Thanks Colin, I;ll check it out.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks Colin, I;ll check it out.

makro has dried coriander and whole nutmeg, havta grate it yeself...I useta like square sausage on our visits to Glasgow...the MiL useta know the best butcher in the neighborhood up on the Sheddleston Road...

• Thanks 1

Coriander? Yuk!! Keep that muck away from a sausage. Mace will be better than nutmeg, if available. Square sausages are Scotland's greatest invention; ideal for sausage butties with fried onions and mustard.

• Like 1

Thai nutmeg, available in supermarkets, is different from "regular" nutmeg:  it's incredibly hard and almost impossible to grate.

As ever if you look on Lazda you can buy ground Nutmeg.

I use it for baking ............. off to make a Custard Tart with Nutmeg topping (just like my mother made)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, champers said:

Coriander? Yuk!! Keep that muck away from a sausage. Mace will be better than nutmeg, if available. Square sausages are Scotland's greatest invention; ideal for sausage butties with fried onions and mustard.

Unless you are putting them on a round bap, then you'll get the corners sticking out.   LOL

2 hours ago, stouricks said:

Unless you are putting them on a round bap, then you'll get the corners sticking out.   LOL

Sliced white is the bread of choice, lightly toasted if you fancy. Round baps are for sausage burgers. 😉

• Haha 1

Since nutmeg and coriander (cilantro) are not native to Scotland, why is it called Scottish?

Is this more Sassenach messing about with our traditional. plain Lorne sausage?

Onywye, back tae ma porridge....

On 3/20/2020 at 8:48 AM, stouricks said:

You mean like a Wendy's burger patty (in the US)?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Since nutmeg and coriander (cilantro) are not native to Scotland, why is it called Scottish?

And yet haggis contains not only nutmeg (Indonesian), coriander (Iran), and pepper (south Asia) and there's nothing more Scottish than a haggis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

And yet haggis contains not only nutmeg (Indonesian), coriander (Iran), and pepper (south Asia) and there's nothing more Scottish than a haggis.

Not in MY (traditional, bland and tasteless) bloody haggis there isn't!