Jump to content
BANGKOK
possum1931

Scottish Square Sausages.

Recommended Posts

Anyone know where I can get nutmeg and coriander to use in making Scottish square sausage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possum, there is an outfit in Bangkok called Zing street, they have all sorts of Indian spices.

They have a website, deliver all over the country, good stuff at very reasonable prices, i use them myself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makro has a wide range of dried spices,but I don't

remember seeing Nutmeg.

regards Worgeordie

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lotus and Big C both sell the small bottles. El Avion or Tesco own...that's Pattaya

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Possum, there is an outfit in Bangkok called Zing street, they have all sorts of Indian spices.

They have a website, deliver all over the country, good stuff at very reasonable prices, i use them myself.

Thanks Colin, I;ll check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks Colin, I;ll check it out.

makro has dried coriander and whole nutmeg, havta grate it yeself...I useta like square sausage on our visits to Glasgow...the MiL useta know the best butcher in the neighborhood up on the Sheddleston Road...

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coriander? Yuk!! Keep that muck away from a sausage. Mace will be better than nutmeg, if available. Square sausages are Scotland's greatest invention; ideal for sausage butties with fried onions and mustard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thai nutmeg, available in supermarkets, is different from "regular" nutmeg:  it's incredibly hard and almost impossible to grate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As ever if you look on Lazda you can buy ground Nutmeg.

I use it for baking ............. off to make a Custard Tart with Nutmeg topping (just like my mother made)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, champers said:

Coriander? Yuk!! Keep that muck away from a sausage. Mace will be better than nutmeg, if available. Square sausages are Scotland's greatest invention; ideal for sausage butties with fried onions and mustard.

Unless you are putting them on a round bap, then you'll get the corners sticking out.   LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stouricks said:

Unless you are putting them on a round bap, then you'll get the corners sticking out.   LOL

Sliced white is the bread of choice, lightly toasted if you fancy. Round baps are for sausage burgers. 😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since nutmeg and coriander (cilantro) are not native to Scotland, why is it called Scottish?

 

Is this more Sassenach messing about with our traditional. plain Lorne sausage?

 

Onywye, back tae ma porridge....

 

On 3/20/2020 at 8:48 AM, stouricks said:

Unless you are putting them on a round bap, then you'll get the corners sticking out.   LOL

You mean like a Wendy's burger patty (in the US)?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Since nutmeg and coriander (cilantro) are not native to Scotland, why is it called Scottish?

 

And yet haggis contains not only nutmeg (Indonesian), coriander (Iran), and pepper (south Asia) and there's nothing more Scottish than a haggis.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oxx said:

 

And yet haggis contains not only nutmeg (Indonesian), coriander (Iran), and pepper (south Asia) and there's nothing more Scottish than a haggis.

Not in MY (traditional, bland and tasteless) bloody haggis there isn't!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...