Scottish Square Sausages.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Possum, there is an outfit in Bangkok called Zing street, they have all sorts of Indian spices.

They have a website, deliver all over the country, good stuff at very reasonable prices, i use them myself.

Thanks Colin, I;ll check it out.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks Colin, I;ll check it out.

makro has dried coriander and whole nutmeg, havta grate it yeself...I useta like square sausage on our visits to Glasgow...the MiL useta know the best butcher in the neighborhood up on the Sheddleston Road...

• Thanks 1

Coriander? Yuk!! Keep that muck away from a sausage. Mace will be better than nutmeg, if available. Square sausages are Scotland's greatest invention; ideal for sausage butties with fried onions and mustard.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, champers said:

Coriander? Yuk!! Keep that muck away from a sausage. Mace will be better than nutmeg, if available. Square sausages are Scotland's greatest invention; ideal for sausage butties with fried onions and mustard.

Unless you are putting them on a round bap, then you'll get the corners sticking out.   LOL

2 hours ago, stouricks said:

Unless you are putting them on a round bap, then you'll get the corners sticking out.   LOL

Sliced white is the bread of choice, lightly toasted if you fancy. Round baps are for sausage burgers. ????

• Haha 1

Since nutmeg and coriander (cilantro) are not native to Scotland, why is it called Scottish?

Is this more Sassenach messing about with our traditional. plain Lorne sausage?

Onywye, back tae ma porridge....

On 3/20/2020 at 8:48 AM, stouricks said:

You mean like a Wendy's burger patty (in the US)?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Since nutmeg and coriander (cilantro) are not native to Scotland, why is it called Scottish?

And yet haggis contains not only nutmeg (Indonesian), coriander (Iran), and pepper (south Asia) and there's nothing more Scottish than a haggis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

And yet haggis contains not only nutmeg (Indonesian), coriander (Iran), and pepper (south Asia) and there's nothing more Scottish than a haggis.

Not in MY (traditional, bland and tasteless) bloody haggis there isn't!

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

How the hell do you make a square sausage?

No skin or casing, heavily compressed in a square-formed pan or similar before slicing.

Now, ask me one on (tasteless) haggis.

Edited by NanLaew

Just now, NanLaew said:

No skin or casing, heavily compressed in a square-formed pan or similar before slicing.

Now, ask me one on (tasteless) haggis.

Then it's not a sausage, it's a rectangular meatloaf.

Tried haggis twice. I know why the Scots drink whisky with it.

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Then it's not a sausage, it's a rectangular meatloaf.

Tried haggis twice. I know why the Scots drink whisky with it.

Not quite. Meatloaf is meatloaf, Lorne sausage is Lorne sausage, "and ne'er the twain shall meet". Meatloaf is cooked in the pan and sliced after cooking whereas Lorne sausage is compressed and then sliced before cooking.

Obviously picked the wrong scotch. The only scotch that truly compliments haggis (even my bland one) is The Famous Grouse.

Edited by NanLaew