Laos suspends all types of visas for foreign tourists: report

Laos suspends all types of visas for foreign tourists: report 

LAOS_V.jpg

File photo

The government of Laos has reportedly stopped issuing tourist visas to foreigners as a preventive measure to stop the spread of the coronavirus, COVID-19.

According to the Vientiane Times, “all types of visas on arrival and electronic visas (E-visas) are suspended”, while those already in possession of a visa need to also get a health certificate and provide information on their travel history.

However, Thaivisa spoke to a British national who was returning to Thailand from Savanakhet on Thursday morning. They said that the border was still open and foreigners appeared to be given visas on arrival. Word at the border - although unconfirmed by Thaivisa - was that the suspension of issuing visas for Laos would begin from Friday (20 March).

The news comes after Laos on Tuesday closed some border checkpoints with Thailand.

The four immigration checkpoints near Thailand’s Nakhon Phanom province were closed due to there not being enough personnel to carry out screening of arrivals. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-19

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Slightly misleading headline. "All" visas have not been suspended, just visas on arrival. I am at the Lao Embassy in Bangkok right now, getting one.

with a medical certificate in hand I assume. What a time to be traveling though...couldn't you have waited?

39 minutes ago, drbeach said:

with a medical certificate in hand I assume. What a time to be traveling though...couldn't you have waited?

No, we have a flight booked for tomorrow. No medical certificate required.  Just an extra 200 baht for fast processing.

Hey Using this thread to ask a question regarding a couple of students on a ED visa due to renew their visa ending on the 5th of April fore 90 days,

They are worried about going to Savannakhet and be refused their renewal at the Thai embassy as they have heard funny stories about the clerk treating the applicants. sometimes telling them to go to Vientiane to have their visa issued (where there is a queue number to be obtained)

Do you think that there is a problem ? Of course they will produce the proper documents (same ones they had to show when applying for their visa in Paris as they are French citizens )

From the previous posts I understand that crossing the border back and forth is not a problem but I think that a medical certificate dating the day before their departure to Laos would be a good idea 

Thanks for any insight (and thanks BigT73 for the update )

Archived