Thai authorities set to clarify situation on visa overstay as a result of COVID-19

webfact

37 minutes ago, keith101 said:

I was concerned about the border being closed and not being able to do my 90 day out/in next month so contacted Siam Legal who told me i can get a 60 day extension from my local Imm office if needed .

Which immigration office is that? So you just turn up at the immigration office and apply for a 60 day extension and it will be granted? Is that for all visa holders of any visa?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ColtenSloan said:

Interested to see what will happen exactly. I've always had tourist visas for the last 3 years. 

Now I'm just on a visa exempt, which I am due to EXTEND next week for 30 days. 

Been curious what I will do once that time is up, as my flight has been cancelled to Singapore, my travel plans to Vietnam are currently not possible due to Vietnam suspending visas, and now Laos has just stopped issuing visas, so I couldn't even potentially go to Laos for a Thai visa, or border hop. Even the thought of going to Laos for a month or two is now not possible. 

(Canadian citizen btw) 

And no not travelling back to Canada. 

Hmm ????????????

Are all flights cancelled to Singapore or just your one flight? I would think there are other flights there still.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Are all flights cancelled to Singapore or just your one flight? I would think there are other flights there still.

Yes, but that is something I'm not to worried about, it's the fact of staying in Thailand. 

I was just stating about my travels plans, honestly I wasn't even going to Singapore. That was just a fun flight for when I arrived at the airport. 

But as I was planning a move to Vietnam that is not possible at the moment. 

So than I was going to head to Laos and stay for a month or two see if things calmed down, or go to Laos and get a Thai visa and come back. 

Either way I'm very curious to see what immigration will say about overstaying visas. Due to not wanting to travel back to home countries, or not being able tohit up a neighboring country for a visa run/border run. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ColtenSloan said:

Now I'm just on a visa exempt, which I am due to EXTEND next week for 30 days. 

And no not travelling back to Canada. 

Hmm ????????????

I have the same exact situation: currently in the Kingdom on a visa exempt, that upon arrival did not intend to extend because I already have a one year visa for India, and wanted to spend a month in the Phillipines as well before returning there. But given the situation, I decided to extend my visa exempt here in Thailand. And it will expire in less than 10 days now.

I am self-isolating in my private room, and I am not hoarding, and I am keeping healthy, and I am not in any type of high-risk category, and I have enough money to remain here for the duration of at least a few months.

I hoping somehow to extend my tourist exempt again to avoid traveling ANYWHERE for a while. Perhaps even for 2 or 3 months is fine for me. Don't think I'll need it, but the healthcare here is reputed to be just as good as my own county's in America, and at  much lower prices for the same-same!

Please let us know how it goes for you when you try to extend!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Let's hope we don't get a typical Immigration announcement that asks more questions than it answers.

i'm thinking its going to require a covid19 certificate* but i'm guessing

(*on sale 25K baht at my local private hospital)

• Haha 1

Went to Jomtien immigration yesterday afternoon.....never seen it so busy! I Have a visitor, a Spanish kid who was at united in Guangzhou. He arrived in Thailand in February, went to Krabi and overstayed, 11 days total. I advised nhom to go to Krabi immigration and sort it.  He did but could not afford the fine and extension! So they let him go, at that point only 8 days overstay.

He got the bus to Bangkok and Pattaya, I picked him up and took him to Jomtien. They looked at everything, and insisted first a TM30 (23 ahead in the queue, but I did it online, and got the confirmation printed next door (50 Baht) , a photo (another 50), Photocopies (10), got the queue ticket for extention (38 ahead! ), got sent to Overstay (11 days@ 500 = 5500Baht) no concessions given! ) and 2½ hours later got an extension for 30 days.....from his original visa date, no concessions even though we asked. Another 1900 baht. So he's fixed, until 6th April. He can't go back to China and he can't go back to Spain, his credit card is lost and his debit card maxxed out. So, the Bank of Mum and Dad is going to have to transfer some money to me, so I can top up his finances. But they are locked down in Spain.

It's a mess! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

I am currently in Thailand on a 30 day (visa exempt) stamp. I am due to leave the Kingdom on 28th March. However, the country I am supposed to be returning to has closed its borders. Will it be possible for me to apply for a visa to stay here, or is it better to try to get an extension on the 30 day stamp?

3 minutes ago, domgaf said:

I am currently in Thailand on a 30 day (visa exempt) stamp. I am due to leave the Kingdom on 28th March. However, the country I am supposed to be returning to has closed its borders. Will it be possible for me to apply for a visa to stay here, or is it better to try to get an extension on the 30 day stamp?

I would get the extension. I already have one so being blocked from Taiwan flight has put me in a bad situation. Laos land exit is also blocked.

Seems like getting any kind of visa will require a proof of being covid free and may also require proof of medical insurance if you can even get to an issuing country.

Edited by vermin on arrival
more info

1 minute ago, sapson said:

Just had a thought they could actually kill two birds one stone etc .....by making a free 90 extension for all as above..........

Also now close all immigration offices for at least a month or two, so to ease the worries from staff continually having to deal with the unwashed in crowded offices and contain the virus spread.

I'd love that but since they make tons of money on extensions and overstay fines it seems unlikely. Area K alone in Chaeng Wattana probably generates 1 million baht a day now with all the extensions

It will end up as the following for people who overstay.

No blacklist for overstay, but still have to pay 500THb per day for your overstay. 

They ain't gonna let Ai'Farang off the hook that easily! 

Mark my words.

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

I'd love that but since they make tons of money on extensions and overstay fines it seems unlikely. Area K alone in Chaeng Wattana probably generates 1 million baht a day now with all the extensions

It would appease all the stressed out stranded worried farangs and the immigration staff and one less headache for Prayut.

However as you rightly say and I had forgotten, the loss of millions of baht in daily revenue nationwide would be a deciding factor.