Families struggle to come to agreement over precautions in dealing with CV

riclag

I cringe when my wife tells me she's going to the moo ban to visit her family!

Lovely people but  their hygiene is less than desirable !

She always eats with them when she visits! They have this ritual of sharing everything it seems,

spoons,forks,dishes glasses , cups and a good time laughing and talking.

Quite often one or two are sick with something! Fortunately, she very seldom gets sick but

I'm very concerned now with the CV!

She is rather clean when she's home but I think  old habits in the village remain with her!

So when she comes home,I do what I have control over, I disinfect the inside of the cars hard surfaces, steering wheel, door handles,seat buckles ! I have seen her many times use alcohol to clean her hands!

All I can do is hope she doesn't bring anything back to our home!

Fingers crossed

Edited by riclag
  • Haha 1

Go bang your  head against a  wall, they wont change, got the  same here now with 5 workers  sharing the same tin cup for  water, stupidity but  all good  fun for them, better still 3  of  them smoke so if they get it they are even higher  risk

• Like 1

This is why local authorities they are so paranoid about people returning from overseas or from pattaya/bangkok. The villagers are very close together with limited resources and an outbreak would see everyone in the village get it. Their best hope is to keep it out of the village if possible. 

Sad but true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And closing all the bars in Bangkok has just infiltrated most villages in the whole country with returnees.

Would have been better to have kept them in one place with extra care like 10pm closing.

upgraded toilet washing facilities & plenty gel

• Like 2

Stupid naysayers will soon be enlightened to the severity of this virus.   And hygiene in Thailand is not very good and saying this isnt a direct attack  , it's just noted.    Same with Chinese.   They had that record setting attempt for biggest meal gathering in wuhan  right at the wrong  time.  I have eaten with Chinese at a table with a rotating center and no need for using a separate serving spoon just grab a taste and if good grab a serving

Same in thailand . Maybe same In some western families but deadly now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

Just wondering - if you think Thai people are so ridiculous and you can't appreciate or at least respect different cultures and different ways of thinking to your own - why do you choose to live here? 

You weren't responding to a post of mine. But given what you said, I'm kinda curious -- do you really believe wearing an amulet or doing Buddhist chanting is going to protect you from contracting some illness?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You weren't responding to a post of mine. But given what you said, I'm kinda curious -- do you really believe wearing an amulet or doing Buddhist chanting is going to protect you from contracting some illness?

Whether I believe it or not is not relevant. The Pope believes he was chosen by God, as do millions of Christians. Billions of people all over the world prey to God, Allah and other divine entities in many languages too get protection, wealth, health, children, husbands/ wives. Now, if one were to ridicule or somehow try to change society where one was born is one thing. 

The point I don't understand why would anyone choose to move from his own country to a country with different ways of life, different culture if he finds the people in that country so stupid and ridiculous

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Whether I believe it or not is not relevant.

Thanks for NOT answering the question I posed to you....  do you believe that chanting or wearing an amulet is going to protect you from coming down with a contagious illness?  Should doctors treating CV patients be wearing amulets only instead of masks and gowns?

I grew up in a Christian household, more out of my parents' choice than mine. But I can honestly say, I have never believed that praying or wearing a crucifix around my neck would somehow protect me from catching a contagious disease. And I'd say, that any Christian who believes that is equally deluded.

Christians may pray for all kinds of things. But the share of them who actually think praying or wearing a crucifix will protect them from catching a contagious illness in today's world is probably pretty darned small...at least in any reasonably educated country.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Saltire said:

My wife and I are fully onboard with isolating for as long as it takes.

She takes care of her elderly parents next door - they never come inside our house.

Unfortunately her brother who has a room in our house is a problem.

He runs a small company providing music for weddings, funerals etc so is always in crowds, eating and drinking and sharing as people describe above. We asked him to change a few things to help us. I don't think they are unreasonable.

1. Use hand sanitizer as soon as he comes home after an event before he touches anything in the house.

2. Put that days clothing into a sealed laundry box we gave him and wash same or next day in the machine.

3. When he is not working stay home or thereabouts - every day he just is all over the village hanging out with friends.

4. Wash hands more often, etc.

He just scoffed saying it will never come here, but reluctantly changed his mind when the wife and I told him to move out to the fathers shack next door. We were not jokiing, she was for packiing his stuff there and then.

He lives here for free, is no problem generally, very considerate normally, but on this is comng accross as brainwashed by television mostly saying Thailand will be fine and not to worry.

Today there are 3 separate Nang Buat monk ordinations taking place, despite the poo yai tannoying good advice, one of the celebrations is at his house. Can't win here sometimes. The BiL is doing the music at one of them.

Incidentally I am 65, generally healthy but have diabetes, blood pressure slightly high and a heart condition so don't say I am being paranoid. With a bit of effort we can survive this.

Your spot on ! You aren't unreasonable to request this ,especially with your conditions.

• Like 1

My daughter in law  comes to eat on occasion! She works in a coffee shop at the mall. I was curious to watch how she cleans her hands when she comes over! Even though they  told her I imagine, to start cleaning your hands (handling money).It wasn't sufficient! She wet ,wash one side,rinse and dry with the same towel !

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks for NOT answering the question I posed to you....  do you believe that chanting or wearing an amulet is going to protect you from coming down with a contagious illness?  Should doctors treating CV patients be wearing amulets only instead of masks and gowns?

I grew up in a Christian household, more out of my parents' choice than mine. But I can honestly say, I have never believed that praying or wearing a crucifix around my neck would somehow protect me from catching a contagious disease. And I'd say, that any Christian who believes that is equally deluded.

Christians may pray for all kinds of things. But the share of them who actually think praying or wearing a crucifix will protect them from catching a contagious illness in today's world is probably pretty darned small...at least in any reasonably educated country.

You didn't answer my question as well. If you think most Thai people are uneducated, stupid and ridiculous why did you choose to come live in Thailand? 

4 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

You didn't answer my question as well. If you think most Thai people are uneducated, stupid and ridiculous why did you choose to come live in Thailand? 

I don't think that, and I never said I did... But I do think that any people who think amulets and chanting (or praying and crucifixes) will protect them from the CV are deluded...

I don't see Thai doctors going in to treat CV cases wearing only amulets.... Rather, they're wearing masks and gowns and gloves... Perhaps they know something some in the general population fail to grasp.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't think that, and I never said I did... But I do think that any people who think amulets and chanting (or praying and crucifixes) will protect them from the CV are deluded...

I don't see Thai doctors going in to treat CV cases wearing only amulets.... Rather, they're wearing masks and gowns and gloves... Perhaps they know something some in the general population fail to grasp.

So what is your point? That some Thai people are stupid and some are not?I guess that's true for any nationality. During this time with the covid19 as well as any time. I know of people in France that although were instructed to stay home thought it's much more fun to go out and sit along the river bank and read a book. In other countries that are practically shut down due to the virus people take it as a great opportunity for holiday and go in masses to the beaches, national parks, playgrounds with their children and so on. Personally I try to live my life as normal as possible with some precaution such as keeping a bit more distance, rubbing my hands with alcohol before touching my face or eating, but I still go to markets and shops as I need, still meet with friends

7 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

So what is your point? That some Thai people are stupid and some are not?I guess that's true for any nationality.

No nationality or religion has the exclusive market on ignorance. I'll certainly agree with you about that!

But what started the entire exchange was your response to another poster's comment here who said:

got the  same here now with 5 workers  sharing the same tin cup for  water, stupidity but  all good  fun for them,

On 3/19/2020 at 10:54 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A few years back our daughter was pretty ill with some form of virus or something. Anyway wife and family took her off to the next village where there is a very important monk.

He chanted away for a few minutes, tied the obligatory strings around the wrists and sent them on their way.

As we were leaving he pulled me over and asked in pretty good English if we had been to the hospital. When I confirmed that we had he smiled and said "good"

Anyway daughter recovered overnight and his status was confirmed yet again in the local community.

Sometimes better to cover all bases!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 1:23 PM, LukKrueng said:

I think  the majority of them are as you describe, it gets proven many times in daily life.

I chose to live here to avoid paying home country tax / for the weather / and for the cost of living ( albiet that's worn off now ).

I find the locals to be friendly for the most part and can manage with them until it's time to get some info or something done at the house, they have very low work ethics and pride in what they do.

my wifes cousins drove down from Bangkok for a weeks holiday for 10 days because their daughter was at home from school, I found out when they all rocked up to our place, when my wife brought our daughter back from her uni in Bangkok before inter region travel was banned she did a 2 week home isolation & worked from home to be safe but didnt worry about her cousins coming here at all(7 of them). They also went to the beaches for days out while here too, still dont know how they managed to get here from Bangkok or drive back(around 700 klm) as they have to drive through other provinces, she is a doctor and he is an airforce officer/pilot so maybe that helped but goes to show thais think family are ok to do as they please during this time even if its against the laws but everyone else has to follow them

We live in a small town. My wife drove 10 hours to visit her family. She was immediately told by her parents, that she would not be allowed to visit with her 2 year old niece, at all. That is the main reason she went! She was also told that some local authority would come around the next day, and get all of her ID, and then lock her down in the house for two weeks. Fortunately, I spoke to her three hours after she arrived. I told her to get in the car that night, as 9pm, and drive back here. Stop along the way, get a hotel room for a few hours, get some rest, then hit the road again. Luckily she did just that. I was furious with her parents for days. Such nonsense. 

There are just over 2,400 cases here. Just 30 deaths. Just 54 cases in the past 24 hours. It appears to be leveling off, as we have had only 485 new cases in the past six days, and only a few deaths. That is a like a small pimple on the cheek of a teenager. Yet, you would think this was the Zombie Apocalypse. 2,400 cases, but over 60 millions cases of insanity, panic, and a complete lack of reason.