Get your electricity deposit back

snoop1130

50 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

There maybe a spanner in the works.  The wife is reading a Thai language story about the deposit and the catch is after you get the refund you are responsible for any repairs to the meter.  As I  don't read Thai I cannot confirm that.

That is also what i heard.

• Like 1

I just read somewhere,can not quote that,but there is good news.

No problem with getting the same (free) repair or replace service of your meter

if you have received your refund back.

Applied online yesterday/25 March for the deposit refund....for our home it was Bt4,000...application approved....having the refund go to a KrungThai Bank acct....really easy.   Supposedly at the end of this month the MEA will begin paying out approved refund applications.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Pib said:

Applied online yesterday/25 March for the deposit refund....for our home it was Bt4,000...application approved....having the refund go to a KrungThai Bank acct....really easy.   Supposedly at the end of this month the MEA will begin paying out approved refund applications.

Thanks for posting the info. 

I could only see the online tool in Thai, or did you find an English version?

And do you happen to know if KrungThai is the only payout option? I‘d prefer not having to open another bank account. Cheers. 

8 minutes ago, fcbkk said:

And do you happen to know if KrungThai is the only payout option? I‘d prefer not having to open another bank account. Cheers. 

It's only in Thai.   KrungThai is just one of the payout options. SCB and K-Bank are two other banks listed for direct payout.   You can also use PromptPay which would go to whatever bank you have PromptPay setup with.  Or use the 7-11/CounterServices for the refund.   

Refund Options

image.png.3b2b99baa4b20d98f445acd17df0ad80.png

10 minutes ago, Pib said:

It's only in Thai.   KrungThai is just one of the payout options. SCB and K-Bank are two other banks listed for direct payout.   You can also use PromptPay which would go to whatever bank you have PromptPay setup with.  Or use the 7-11/CounterServices for the refund.   

Refund Options

image.png.3b2b99baa4b20d98f445acd17df0ad80.png

Thanks much.

12 hours ago, Pib said:

Please can you post the web address you used. The only ones I could find don't work.

On 3/25/2020 at 9:13 PM, Grumpy John said:

There maybe a spanner in the works.  The wife is reading a Thai language story about the deposit and the catch is after you get the refund you are responsible for any repairs to the meter.  As I  don't read Thai I cannot confirm that.

The other spanner in the works is if your meter is stolen you MAY have to pay for the replacement.

Edit.

Instant update.

PEA have, this morning, stated that they will replace stolen meters. 

Edit thanks to SWMBO.

Edited by overherebc

On 3/26/2020 at 8:43 PM, fcbkk said:

I just used google chrome and translated it to English works fine if the account is a Thai name you do need to put the name in in Thai language.

8 hours ago, thaitero said:

Form asks id card number..

if foreigner passport number ? If so have to doublecheck what was the passport used when electricity agreement was done..

Sorry, should have said for the GF. ???? So not sure about foreigner ID.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 9:08 AM, rhodie said:

https://dmsxupload.pea.co.th/cdp/ This is the one posted earlier and seems to work for me.

Many thanks. I tried it and the message it gave me was "Information found but does not meet the conditions for requesting a refund". Maybe temporary/construction meters are not included. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, taninthai said:

I just used google chrome and translated it to English works fine if the account is a Thai name you do need to put the name in in Thai language.

Thank you. Managed to get it done, no English version just slows it down so much, but good practise for my Thai ????

On 3/27/2020 at 8:21 AM, Muhendis said:

Please can you post the web address you used. The only ones I could find don't work.

On 3/27/2020 at 9:39 AM, Pib said:

Here's the website if MEA provides your elecricity.   MEA is for the Bangkok area.

https://www.mea.or.th/refund/

https://measy.mea.or.th/refund2020/main.jsf This is the link for the Bangkok area.    

45 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

PEA site won't accept wife's ID card.

She told me they never change even after change of address is this correct.

I don't want her visit any offices until virus over, can you apply by post?

That's right....a Thai ID number is for life.   Well, I think many decades ago they did change from 10 to 13 digit numbers but that was decades and decades ago.

Are you sure the electric acct is in the wife's name where her Thai ID number would have been used?  Or is it in a relative's name....of if you are renting with the acct in the landlord's name?

A little story about names on an electric acct.  I have some close in-laws who live in side-by-side houses out in a province.  Just various in-laws who have lived next to each other on a little soi for around seven decades.   Around three decades ago when they did some intra-family land/house swapping (i.e., change names on chanotes) one set of in-laws never updated their electric or water accts to the name of the new home owner....they left the old house owner (i.e., the in-law that lived just steps away)....they didn't care as the electric meter man would read the meter once a month, leave the bill in the mailbox, and then someone would go pay the bills.   Name on the acct was unimportant....and the same name was on both house's electric acct.  Now two years ago the in-law whose name is on both electric accts passed away....once again, the family didn't update the name to someone living...in-laws get the bill and simply go pay it.  And with that in-law's death his Thai ID number is no longer active.  So, when the in-laws tried to claim the refund it being refused due to Thai ID number being invalid.   No one is really concerned as they have small 15amp meters where the refund was only going to be Bt300.   And I don't expect they will update the name on the acct either...or at least anytime soon....maybe some future decade....besides, if they ever reach the point of not being able to pay their electric bill they can just tell the electric company to go collect from the relative now resting in a burial urn.

As far as I know the only way to apply is online or by visit to a PEA/MEA office if online application is being rejected.

Edited by Pib

2 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Photo of ID card has to be under a certain size.  Was this the problem?

Just now, Yorkshire Tea said:

Photo of ID card has to be under a certain size.  Was this the problem?

Photo of ID card?   When submitting for the refund on MEA no photo of the ID is required....you just enter the ID card number and then their system either finds it in their database or it don't....if it's found you are good to go.  

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

Photo of ID card?   When submitting for the refund on MEA no photo of the ID is required....you just enter the ID card number and then their system either finds it in their database or it don't....if it's found you are good to go.  

My wife had to send photo of id card & bank book,   This is in Chiang mai.

3 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

My wife had to send photo of id card & bank book,   This is in Chiang mai.

When we did the online application here in Bangkok where MEA is the electric provider vs PEA a person just enters Thai ID number and bank acct number/PromptPay number.....no photos of nothing....all was accepted....received a control number.  Just waiting for payment now which is suppose to start the end of the month.  Surely a batch payment process where tens of thousands upon tens of thousands direct deposits will be processed at the same time.

2 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Is the name on card the same as on bill?  Could be an issue if she changed her name to marriage name for card but not for bill I suspect.

Hey everyone 

I did my request online this afternoon on my computer. I am not sure if the translation was automatic but everything was in English apart from the 4 main choices ( I clicked on the one representing a person and it worked)

I filled up the blanks ( I have a pink ID card but never registered with it at the  MEA as I had my passport ).

I applied for both (two different addresses) successfully.

My name was wrong on one of them ( kind of phonetically spelled ) but it was accepted anyway

No documents were required (photo, ID or else)

2 minutes ago, alyx said:

Hey everyone 

I did my request online this afternoon on my computer. I am not sure if the translation was automatic but everything was in English apart from the 4 main choices ( I clicked on the one representing a person and it worked)

It's in Thai but you probably have a translator, like Google Translator, activated on your computer/phone.  The MEA site does translate well.

I am still trying to  figure  out  what this  "refund" is .

I have  read reports here about  new connection fees being  in a  vast range of cost.

But  when I (we) had a second house and meter connected there were  just  two prices given on a choice  for domestic supply of a  5 amp or 15 amp meter. The fee  for each  was given  at  700 Baht or  4600 Baht respectively  in  rounded   amounts.

We opted  for the  15 amp meter  in a dillusional believe it would  provide a  more consistent supply but that is  irrelevant to the  subject.

We  have two  meters on one property.

The "refund" my wife has already applied for  but still awaiting  the  credit for in her  nominated  bank account is 2000 Baht  which as  far  as I understand from  my wife's explanation is  for  the  15  amp meter.

There is no  option apparently  to make a duplicate claim on  both  meters. Or  maybe in  our situation  it is a  combination. I do  not  know.

For those  who  have a  domestic  connection  on a  5 amp meter the  refund is a nominal  300 Bht.

A  reason I  find interest in this  is that  about 12  months  back PEA  were attempting to  solicit a  further " credit guarantee " deposit from  consumers in our  locality. But  that  was quickly and easily avoided  by  using  the  "counter pay" option rather than at the PEA office. Which incidentally/coincidentally at that time  involved a  complete  demolition  and  rebuild  ! I will give  that PEA office  credit  for the  fact that since then no longer do  consumers have to  wait in a queue for  access in rigid and limited  door opening times to offer up payment to a smug cashier who at times  would significantly and deliberately delay the process in some ridiculous display of  "control".

Strangely  the  same person is now accessible instantly available at all nominal opening hours including  lunch time and is pleasant and efficient ! Sadly  the  supply  is  incredibly variable in current and  voltage to the  degree  an LED  light  will  dip to the level of an indicator  lamp  rather than an actual light source and  fans  will struggle  to  rotate  for up to  30  seconds  at a time at least  every 30 minutes on some days!  I am left wondering  how  far ,if I could  get  my wife to part with the little windfall of   2000Baht, that it would  go in the purchase and  installation of an UPS  that  could adequately compensate  for an issue that PEA  declines to offer an explanation for  let alone any remedy.

Ok.  Grump over ! lol

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Is the name on card the same as on bill?  Could be an issue if she changed her name to marriage name for card but not for bill I suspect.

Well I sked her this she said same, will go when virus over don't thin worth queueing at risk for a pittance and I just know I won't see any of it.????

• Like 1