Get your electricity deposit back

snoop1130

16 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Well I sked her this she said same, will go when virus over don't thin worth queueing at risk for a pittance and I just know I won't see any of it.????

Same here. Mrs C is getting quite excited about a 5,000 baht refund and is talking about queueing up at the electric co. office to register (we are in Sattahip and get our power from the Royal Thai Navy - seems unlikely, but it's true).

We have been on strict self-isolation for nearly 2 weeks now (I am in my 60's and have some serious past history of lung ailments) so I have had to put my foot down and tell her to stay home.

We are not badly off financially, but the idea of getting money back from the authorities is sorely tempting for her.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pib said:

No one is really concerned as they have small 15amp meters where the refund was only going to be Bt300.

Believe those are 5 amp meters - 15 amp is the normal size now for city homes and is 2,000 baht.

10 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

there were  just  two prices given on a choice  for domestic supply of a  5 amp or 15 amp meter. The fee  for each  was given  at  700 Baht or  4600 Baht respectively  in  rounded   amounts.

Those would have been the total costs including 300 baht meter deposit for 5 amp and 2,000 for 15 amp.  

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe those are 5 amp meters - 15 amp is the normal size now for city homes and is 2,000 baht.

yea...they probably are....I was probably thinking the "meter class" rating on the meter which is a higher amp rating.  

Almost all PEA/MEA meters will have a ratings plate that gives specs such as test amps, max amps (meter class), voltage, single or three phrase, etc.  I'm pretty sure my in-laws PEA meters are like the first image below I googled-up where it shows a 5(15)A rating meaning test/calibration amps of 5 and max amps (meter class) of 15.   

The first amp rating is usually how meters are commonly referred to although that is just amps the meters are tested/calibrated at when at the factory/being serviced and also what it is assumed the meter will be pulling on the average over a 24 hour period in a typical residence.....basically pulling/measuring an amperage around one-third of its max rating...continuously measuring an amperage around one-third its maximum rating.   And the second rating is the max rating. 

Most people with a 5(15)A meter will exceed the 5 amps just as soon as they turn on their one A/C along with the other typical household electrical items running....probably around 7 to 10 amps with one A/C.....but that's OK because it's below the meter's max rating.  And if they are have a 3000 watts water heater, well, that pulls around 14 amps by itself....will probably exceed a 5(15)A meter's rating with other household electrical items running....probably will not blow-up but it will eventually shorten the meters life...cause it to blow some internal safety fusing. 

image.png.903701239ce5debec66c62e6e5226e2e.png

Now for my home I have a single phase 30 (100)A meter which would be referred to as a 30A meter although I routinely pull more than 30 amps when the clothes dryer and/or 6000W water heaters are running along with the other stuff like a TV, lights, fans, frigs, internet stuff, etc.  Heck, just one 6000 water heater  and the clothes dryer running at the same pull 50 amps just between those two items.   But with just my typical household items running along one large invertor A/C running I typically pull around 6 to 10 amps....10 amps when the invertor A/C is running full speed.

And then you get into three phase meters which have similar ratings to single phase meters.  While walking the dog around the moobaan this morning I glanced at probably a dozen meters as I walked by them.  About half single phase meters and half three phase meters.  Most of the three phase meters had a large amp rating right next to the indicator....like it would have in big black letters 30A...but when looking at the plate below it were more rating details were listed it said 30(100)A.  And some three phase meters had a big black letters rating of 15A with a rating plating list 15(45)A  None of the single phase meters had a rating in big black letters like saying 30(100)A on the specs plate but then also having a 30A listed somewhere else like the three phase meters did

PEA Single phase 5 amp meter...rating 5(15)A

image.png.903701239ce5debec66c62e6e5226e2e.png

PEA Single Phase 15A meter....rating 15(45)A

image.png.9b35af8c83eb8b942ce2b1ea7d071d77.png

On 3/19/2020 at 6:56 PM, Assurancetourix said:

A security deposit has nothing to do with paying a monthly consumption.
And as for those who do not consume much or the old workers over 70 years, some pay nothing at all each month, like my mother-in-law who is 77 years old.

A few km from my home, a Frenchman has a factory and 380 volts; monthly consumption rarely exceeds 3,000 baht

I have a standard house (140 sq.m, air conditioner and refrigerator and my power bill frequently approaches or exceeds 3,000 baht. 

• Confused 1

Two houses normal size 10 x 7 I imagine, big fridge freezer, another smaller freezer, 2 computers 24/7, big water pump, lights, fans in kitchen, A/C in 2 rooms, kitchen and showers are gas mainly = no more than 1500 per month.

We have a 15(45) meter.

fri ggin gas bottles cost 400 now, 300 twenty years ago.

Edited by OneeyedJohn
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 6:52 PM, Yorkshire Tea said:

No. but it's a 30 amp meter.   Never heard of anyone paying 300bt.  A few thousand is normal.

Yes, deposit for 30 amp meter = 12,000 and deposit for 15 amp = 6000 Bahts. I don't know how much deposit they pay for 5 amp.

Can have been cheaper years back.

Edited by Misab

13 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Two houses normal size 10 x 7 I imagine, big fridge freezer, another smaller freezer, 2 computers 24/7, big water pump, lights, fans in kitchen, A/C in 2 rooms, kitchen and showers are gas mainly = no more than 1500 per month.

We have a 15(45) meter.

fri ggin gas bottles cost 400 now, 300 twenty years ago.

You certainly must live in a different province than I do.  I'm in Amnat Charoen.  My bills from the past year average 2061 baht ranging from 3094 to 935!

5 minutes ago, Misab said:

Yes, deposit for 30 amp meter = 12,000 and deposit for 15 amp = 6000 Bahts. I don't know how much deposit they pay for 5 amp.

Can have been cheaper years back.

Single phase meter deposit is as listed post 65

15(45) meter deposit is 2,000 baht

As i understand this is if you take the refund you lose the guarantee for the box, so if anything goes wrong with the box you are down to pay for the replacement. to remove it a new unit and refit it. If you don't take it it's still free.

15 minutes ago, nsn1 said:

As i understand this is if you take the refund you lose the guarantee for the box, so if anything goes wrong with the box you are down to pay for the replacement. to remove it a new unit and refit it. If you don't take it it's still free.

They have clearly stated that is not the case.  

Here you go...googled it up....been in several newspapers like the Bangkok Post and the The Nation on 26 March....below link is to The Nation article which includes a video in Thai....and I've include a partial quote for the article.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384866

“Many want to know if they will be charged a repair fee if the electricity meter got damaged after they had already got their deposit back,” he said. “MEA will still be responsible for the repair/replacement fee of meters in case they malfunctioned, got damaged by natural disasters, or loss.”

However, if the meter got damaged by overcapacity usage, or can be proved that the damage was caused by the users, then electricity users must pay for the repair/replacement, he added.

Jaturong added that the deposit to be refunded was not originally reserved for meter repair or replacement. “We keep this deposit to cover the loss when electricity users do not pay their power bill,” he added.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nsn1 said:

The wife phoned yesterday and was told, we would be responsible for the meter if we took the refund.

I was going to say that how do meters go wrong. Then remembered that my 30/100a meter stopped working last year before being before replaced by MEA. The meter simply stopped counting the usage. I had free electric for over 2 months while they sorted it out. What are the changes of a meter overcharging?

I paid 4000 Baht deposit in December 2017 for my Bangkok Condo meter (30/100a). When I went to MEA they used my passport as ID. When applying online it would not accept my passport as ID as the number is too short. So, the GF used her Thai ID and it pulled up my contract account name all good. It does say that they will only refund if contract account name and bank name match - they do. I got the confirmation number for refund and printed it out. I'm checking my KBank daily to see if refund arrives. Anyone think there might be problems? Seems a hassle to call MEA by phone and the offices take 45 minutes by Taxi.

Can anyone post here once they actually receive their refund please?

12 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I paid 4000 Baht deposit in December 2017 for my Bangkok Condo meter (30/100a). When I went to MEA they used my passport as ID. When applying online it would not accept my passport as ID as the number is too short. So, the GF used her Thai ID and it pulled up my contract account name all good. It does say that they will only refund if contract account name and bank name match - they do. I got the confirmation number for refund and printed it out. I'm checking my KBank daily to see if refund arrives. Anyone think there might be problems? Seems a hassle to call MEA by phone and the offices take 45 minutes by Taxi.

Can anyone post here once they actually receive their refund please?

Unless the acct is really in the GF's name vs yours, I don't see how the acct info could have been retrieved unless maybe you were using one of the other refund methods where maybe you also entered your MEA acct number and then they found the acct number info.  

Did the GF go with you when you first opened the acct in Dec 17?  If so, maybe the acct is really in her name.

And yea, the refund supposedly will not happen unless electric acct number name and name on bank acct match.

When the wife and I applying for the refund (the acct is in the Thai wife's name), the only two numbers entered was her Thai ID card 13 digit info....the MEA found the info, and then showed her name and Bt4K refund amount....then ask how to do the refund via PromptPay, one of three banks, or 7-11 Counterserve.   We entered her bank acct number at one of the three participating banks and completed the refund application process....got a control number issued.

But during that process I wondered with how Thais are so laissez-faire with their Thai ID card info that anyone with a person's ID card number could have applied for the refund but entering their bank acct info and then get the refund unless the electric company & banks are going to ensure a name match on the refund; otherwise, the payment goes back to the electric company.   

It's like if you are bad guy and just happen to know the ID card numbers of a couple of Thais and you have a couple of different bank accts you could just apply for the refund (before the real person did) and possibly fraudulently get the refund.   It's kinda like how in the US identity theft bad guys will file federal tax return before the real person does....the filed returned includes a refund....the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) pays a refund.  Then when the real person gets around to filing the IRS rejects the return since a return has been filed/refund paid already....then the person goes through the process to recover from this identity theft with the IRS.

Edit:  Just checked the wife's bank acct....refund receive 31 Mar around 7:30pm.  We also have a 30(100)A meter and paid a Bt4,000 a dozen years ago when opening the acct.  During the refund application the MEA online system said a 4,000 baht refund was approved....but actually it turned out to be a few baht more based on the refund rec'd...probably interested earned....as said we'll had the acct for 12 years....if the extra Bt3.47 was interested earned then MEA pays close to nothing interest-wise.

image.png.ed3ac9687e5206dd3c6827555327f582.png

Edited by Pib

20 minutes ago, moontang said:

I applied on 3-30, got the 10 digit control number...nothing has shown in my bbl account...yet.

I guess you used PromptPay as a Bkk Bk was not one of the three separately listed participating banks consisting of KrungThai Bk, SCB, and K-bank for a MEA refund....or at least for a MEA refund.   I expect you'll get the refund this week as long as the name on the electric acct matches your bank acct/PromptPay name as that's a requirement---apparently that is checked by MEA/PEA only when actually doing the refund.

image.png.3b9a65e8022fc63349903682cda07f5d.png

11 hours ago, Pib said:

I guess you used PromptPay as a Bkk Bk was not one of the three separately listed participating banks consisting of KrungThai Bk, SCB, and K-bank for a MEA refund....or at least for a MEA refund.   

Bkk Bank was listed as an option when i registered via regular web browser (not phone App). The registration was confirmed, but without stating the amount.

As yet no refund has arrived. 

8 minutes ago, fcbkk said:

Bkk Bank was listed as an option when i registered via regular web browser (not phone App). The registration was confirmed, but without stating the amount.

That is how mine was in Android App..there was also a other bank slot, but I selected bbl to try and keep it simple...and it did not say the amount for me either.  I wanted to get it in before they realized they were refunding foreigners, which seemed way out of character for them, and/or they didn't know how to spot foreigner ID number.

59 minutes ago, fcbkk said:

45 minutes ago, moontang said:

That is how mine was in Android App..there was also a other bank slot, but I selected bbl to try and keep it simple...and it did not say the amount for me either.  I wanted to get it in before they realized they were refunding foreigners, which seemed way out of character for them, and/or they didn't know how to spot foreigner ID number.

Are you guys talking a refund from PEA? 

When I did my refund from MEA Bangkok Bank was not listed separately.

33 minutes ago, Pib said:

No, MEA..submitted on 30 March..been using the same app for 18 months+.

Edited by moontang

30 minutes ago, Pib said:

It's for a refund from MEA (not PEA). I did it online only a few days ago and BBL was one of the banks listed (I checked the box for refund into my BBL account).

• Thanks 1