Get your electricity deposit back

snoop1130

10 minutes ago, moontang said:

No, MEA..submitted on 30 March..been using the same app for 18 months+.

OK, it wasn't a special app developed just for refunds.  So maybe that image of a the MEA app I posted above...that I cut and pasted from the MEA refund webpage explaining how to do it how more banks were listed if a person can scroll on the app.  

But I did the refund via computer browser in late May and it only offered three separate banks of KTB, SCB, and Bkk Bk.

I submitted for the MEA refund on 25 March which I think was the first day a peron could apply...got the control number....but it didn't give any specific estimated date for the refund....just said I'm good to go for a refund.  Read in the news paper over the coming days that MEA would start actually sending the refunds beginning 1 April.  And sure enough, got the direct deposit on 1 Apr.

On 4/1/2020 at 4:21 AM, Pib said:

Unless the acct is really in the GF's name vs yours, I don't see how the acct info could have been retrieved unless maybe you were using one of the other refund methods where maybe you also entered your MEA acct number and then they found the acct number info.  

Did the GF go with you when you first opened the acct in Dec 17?  If so, maybe the acct is really in her name.

And yea, the refund supposedly will not happen unless electric acct number name and name on bank acct match.

When the wife and I applying for the refund (the acct is in the Thai wife's name), the only two numbers entered was her Thai ID card 13 digit info....the MEA found the info, and then showed her name and Bt4K refund amount....then ask how to do the refund via PromptPay, one of three banks, or 7-11 Counterserve.   We entered her bank acct number at one of the three participating banks and completed the refund application process....got a control number issued.

But during that process I wondered with how Thais are so laissez-faire with their Thai ID card info that anyone with a person's ID card number could have applied for the refund but entering their bank acct info and then get the refund unless the electric company & banks are going to ensure a name match on the refund; otherwise, the payment goes back to the electric company.   

It's like if you are bad guy and just happen to know the ID card numbers of a couple of Thais and you have a couple of different bank accts you could just apply for the refund (before the real person did) and possibly fraudulently get the refund.   It's kinda like how in the US identity theft bad guys will file federal tax return before the real person does....the filed returned includes a refund....the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) pays a refund.  Then when the real person gets around to filing the IRS rejects the return since a return has been filed/refund paid already....then the person goes through the process to recover from this identity theft with the IRS.

Edit:  Just checked the wife's bank acct....refund receive 31 Mar around 7:30pm.  We also have a 30(100)A meter and paid a Bt4,000 a dozen years ago when opening the acct.  During the refund application the MEA online system said a 4,000 baht refund was approved....but actually it turned out to be a few baht more based on the refund rec'd...probably interested earned....as said we'll had the acct for 12 years....if the extra Bt3.47 was interested earned then MEA pays close to nothing interest-wise.

image.png.ed3ac9687e5206dd3c6827555327f582.png

Electricity contract in my name. Bank account in my name. MEA would not accept my passport number as too few digits so used GF's Thai ID. We were not together when I took over the contract of the MEA account. I'll update once I get the refund or not - as my account is KBank, MEA are stating 10 working days for refund to arrive in account. If not I can always go to the MEA office after Covid-19 subsides. I don't beleive the refund period is time limited.

• 7 months later...