Pattaya: Dozens of foreigners flouting virus regulations getting drunk in a bar - owners arrested

snoop1130

16 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

The death rate is not 43% - that is a false assumption and wrong.  

2502 deaths from 31506 equates to 7.9%.

But that is also a false assumption - the 31506 are those very sick and tested - most people  get mild symptoms - some none.

China has 3231 deaths from 81116 and that equates to 3.9% - but that is also false assumption for same reasons.

It will only be when they test many people later and sample who has the specific antibodies to then be able to calculate the true infection rate and the true mortality rate.  Right now it is the sick and risky that are being tested - it is too early to state the death rate or infection rate. The indicators, based on past viral infections is that it is highly contagious and that the death rate (entire popluation) will be about 1%.  But no one knows for sure.  

What you are saying is that the death rate from driving on Thailand roads is 43%. You are only measuring those involved in serious accidents and taken to hospital.  The actual death rate is much much lower - but still way too high.

It's about cases that had an outcome. People can check for themselves. Click on a country. For Italy, closed cases of 7,845, deaths 3,405 = 43%

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Screenshot_20200320-064453.png

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, david555 said:

Golden times now for the B.I.B 's "pension funds" 

'They face jail of one year and or a 100,000 baht fine.'  BIB are rubbing their hands in glee.  There's fewer motorists to extort so this is a whole new revenue stream.

5 minutes ago, iamariva1957 said:

Ease up! We should all take the global situation seriously... but we should also not panic. As. For being ashamed... I see more Thais acting this way.... no masks either by the way. So my suggestion.... take it easy. For it is going to get worse before it gets better.  Certainly this government is going to make it worse as this is the perfect excuse to 'manage us farangs' even more.

There is not any talk about panic in my post. Just shameful and irresponsible behaviour. As you point out, there are also many Thais the are irresponsible and behave shameful in this situation. However, it seems like many foreigners here are quick to point that out. To get the right to do that, one must also clean ones own act.

10 hours ago, Ian Nagle said:

I think you are struggling to comprehend  the severity of the global crises situation, all things considered.

I don't read people's minds. The only way to know what they are thinking, is to ask them. Otherwise it is merely my opinion and has little merit.

• Like 1

a lot of the bars are actually guest houses and have people staying there just like hotels 

I saw a few places yesterday serving people but they could have been guests 

If they were not guests then the owners should be held responsible for letting passing trade walk in - same goes for hotels

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, sahibji said:

what are they expected to do in thailand? perhaps the 4 ft distancing could be practiced.

At present time they are supposed to do nothing. That´s why they should not travel to Thailand at this time. If they want to break the rules, stay home and destroy the life for other in your home country.

As for the expats. They should understand better, use common sense and adhere to the rules and recommendations.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What? Is there something seriously wrong with you? What does it matter if they are drunk or not? Do you believe that people get immune against the virus if they are not drunk? Seriously! What a stupid comment.

When I see fellow foreigners behaving this way, I feel the shame they put over all of us. That places would try to keep open anyway was expected, but that fellow foreigners can´t get of grip of the severity is totally unfathomable. Shame on all of you that are doing this, showing disregard and disrespect to your fellow human beings.

Agree, they go drinking in an open restaurant.

Walking Jomtien beach road other day around 4:30 I came upon a big party: seemed to be hash house harriers, perhaps 60-70 people, mostly farangs, filling both beach walk and sidewalk above. No "social distancing" at all, couple barbecues going, plenty of beer. Scene like pre virus behavior. I had to walk on the road to get around that crew.

<deleted>?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And meanwhile in my BKK neighborhood, the same exact kind of places are operating and open just fine...

And the few tourists that I see around, mostly western now, are sitting around outside at bars and restaurant-bars eating and drinking table to table, just like nothing bad was happening anywhere.

Exactly.

When is a pub not a pub, but a restaurant?

I saw many young Thais in what I would call pubs last night.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

There is not any talk about panic in my post. Just shameful and irresponsible behaviour. As you point out, there are also many Thais the are irresponsible and behave shameful in this situation. However, it seems like many foreigners here are quick to point that out. To get the right to do that, one must also clean ones own act.

Calm down. The panic is world wide... though you do not mention the word... you do sound as if you are leaning in that direction. Panic never helps. As for your last line... yes thailand should clean up it own act. As for us farangs... well... behave better sure. Understand the culture her better... sure. Follow the rules... okay.  But to keep quiet... on TV never happens...5555

• Like 2

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Maybe it was just the angle of the photo, but I couldn't see remotely close to 30 people, let alone foreigners in the bar.

I just declined my weekly table tennis and backgammon after at the pub/restaurant, which was still open, on the health and safety of me and them, so to be going out on the lash, surrounded by people you don't know is pretty irresponsible.

When these people get infected they will probably put it down to bad luck, rather than complete stupidity.

A stock photo, no doubt