Pattaya: Dozens of foreigners flouting virus regulations getting drunk in a bar - owners arrested

snoop1130

12 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Walking dead. They were selfish and ignorant when they were young. They are no different now that they are old. Show them the videos from France, Spain and Italy of the people their age  gasping for breath, lying in their urine and  feces because there is no one available to clean them, let them see those begging for help, slowly dying. Maybe they will get it.

If not, just isolate them all together in a cheap flat  and they can get to know each other some more.

With a name like yours why are you not helping the poor helpless people urinating themselves in Europe?

10 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I fully support and honor these farang and bar owners.....They are all true war heros...They were doing their best to fight the Coronavirus for all of us...They were killing the virus with alcohol one beer at a time...

The alcohol component of much of the commercially available hand sanitiser contains methanol which is distilled in the process of making potable alcohol. It distils at a lower temperature than ethanol, it's drinkable partner in crime.......and is usually separated in the distilling process. Because beer and wine are not distilled they contain both methanol and ethanol, methanol in a much smaller proportion than ethanol. Methanol is a poison but is considered harmless in the small quantities consumed in a bottle of beer. It is yet to be determined whether the methanol present in wine and beer has any effect on sanitising the internal organs of the human body and so I salute anyone who is out there on the front line trying to prove the worth of beer as a foil to the coronavirus. Perhaps the worth of Pattaya could be proven as a world class resort ought to be judged by it's continuing attempts to ascertain whether alcoholic beverages (non-distilled) are the way forward in these troubled times. Don't forget that hundreds of years ago beer was considered to be more pure than the drinking water available at the time. I must point out at this juncture that most distilled spirits will not contain methanol so are no substitute for wine and beer as a means of internal sanitising..........PATTAYA..we're rooting for you!

Edited by sjbrownderby
addition
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Oh, yes it is. It's purposely mistranslated and exaggerated all out of proportion for the very purpose of being misleading and inflammatory. Just marketing. The idea is stir up the peanut gallery and get page views. Just the usual play on TVF posters' paranoia, bigotry, and love of victimism. Worked brilliantly again, too. It's so good that posters are going to ignore the fact that it's fake even when informed that it's fake!

Needs to be some kind of regulation on fake news applied here specifically.

However, don't you dare alter the TVF alteration of headlines & text from other sources!

Big star 

Well said , it seems likely ( with some input from Yinn) that allegedly this headline is slightly misleading.

Maybe we should set up a ‘reality check’ thread on headlines.

I have a suspicion that would not go down too well.

if allegedly this headline has been changed so much - it’s disgraceful.

12 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What? Is there something seriously wrong with you? What does it matter if they are drunk or not? Do you believe that people get immune against the virus if they are not drunk? Seriously! What a stupid comment.

When I see fellow foreigners behaving this way, I feel the shame they put over all of us. That places would try to keep open anyway was expected, but that fellow foreigners can´t get of grip of the severity is totally unfathomable. Shame on all of you that are doing this, showing disregard and disrespect to your fellow human beings.

Maybe they were drinking coffee??

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

because it's xenophobic, emphasizing the foreigners.

and why the gratuitous "getting drunk"?....unless they're conditioning their readers to assume the worst about stinking, filthy, disease-ridden foreigners.

The headline should read Thai Bar Owners Arrested For Flouting Opening Rules. Something has gone very wrong recently with TVF headline writers. Misleading (read lying) headlines to encourage you to read the story, and now headlines blatantly biased against foreigners - who make up the vast majority of their readership. Okay, the story mentions foreigners instead of Thais, but to compound the error by emphasising it in the headline and making it the lead is just plain wrong. It really needs to be stamped on now by somebody in charge. Are the people who write these headlines even journalists, who should know better and display more responsible judgement? Or maybe they don't care and are content with lowering their standards to UK red-top paper level.

• Like 2

People need to eat and having an alcoholic beverage whilst doing so is perfectly legal and doing this is not going to automatically mean that the spread of Covid-19 will expand because of it, the article seems to be aimed at getting clicks rather than real reporting.

There does seem to be a strange moral code amongst some people, how about the social distancing being practised on coaches, baht buses, taxis, trains, BTS, personal cars, motorbikes etc.?

There are businesses who are forcing their staff to work in the office, whilst still sat 3 to a small desk and so on, all are far more risky than going out for some food and having a drink.

Most responsible restaurants have redesigned their seating so that there is at least 1m between the tables, some have given up alcohol sales as the BIB here are interpreting that the sale of alcohol is banned, one place got closed for selling it and has been allowed to reopen only one the premise that no alcohol is served, which doesn't do anything.

The rule should be, if you are there drinking, then you must eat.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mattd said:

People need to eat and having an alcoholic beverage whilst doing so is perfectly legal and doing this is not going to automatically mean that the spread of Covid-19 will expand because of it, the article seems to be aimed at getting clicks rather than real reporting.

There does seem to be a strange moral code amongst some people, how about the social distancing being practised on coaches, baht buses, taxis, trains, BTS, personal cars, motorbikes etc.?

There are businesses who are forcing their staff to work in the office, whilst still sat 3 to a small desk and so on, all are far more risky than going out for some food and having a drink.

Most responsible restaurants have redesigned their seating so that there is at least 1m between the tables, some have given up alcohol sales as the BIB here are interpreting that the sale of alcohol is banned, one place got closed for selling it and has been allowed to reopen only one the premise that no alcohol is served, which doesn't do anything.

The rule should be, if you are there drinking, then you must eat.

You're so out of touch with what's happy around the world. "Shelter in place" is saving lives what don't you get?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And meanwhile in my BKK neighborhood, the same exact kind of places are operating and open just fine...

And the few tourists that I see around, mostly western now, are sitting around outside at bars and restaurant-bars eating and drinking table to table, just like nothing bad was happening anywhere.

Same in the UK,no ban on pubs yet,peopĺe still going for a drink,although some.pubs closing voluntarily.

8 minutes ago, TherealG said:

You're so out of touch with what's happy around the world. "Shelter in place" is saving lives what don't you get?

What are you going on about or suggesting?

Should all places be closed so that those without the facilities to cook starve?

I am pointing out simple facts, there are far more serious and potentially dangerous practices going on by the minute, than some foreigners or locals going out for food and having an alcoholic drink whilst doing so, so long as the restaurant is practising social distancing, protecting their staff and providing a clean environment.

The restaurants should enforce that if you are drinking alcohol, then you must be there to eat and not only drink.

I'd take my chances on this, rather than been crammed in on a BTS train, holding grab handles that have been touched by hundreds between cleans, or being forced to work where there are 30 plus people crammed in a few square meters of space.

In reality, unfortunately there is even some evidence to suggest that even total lock downs don't necessarily reduce the risks, Italy is still, sadly, suffering terribly, despite them acting quite swiftly and decisively.

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

You hope that they were all cautioned?! Oooh, that´s great! If one of the foreigners that sat there was infected, and transmitted that to others. Then you happened to meet that person and got infected. Yeah, I am sure you would be happy that they were cautioned.

You know, I actually like your expression and your way of thinking, if this was normal circumstances in ordinary life and no risk of a dangerous virus infection was included. I times like this, people don´t care at all about being cautioned. Too many are stupid enough, so the only thing is to scream to reality in their face or giveém a good beating to understand.

I don't condone the foreigners lack of regard for the present pandemic but I also believe in freedom of choice. One can only hope that people use a common sense approach to the situation and if they can't see the reality I don't think 'a good beating' will work either. (Where I live there are quite a few foreigners who ride the wrong way on their m/b, don't wear helmets and I have pointed it out too. If they blatantly break that law well...)

Okay this has nothing to do with Thailand but because it is the same issue, have you seen this? The relevant issue is at about 1 minute and 8 minutes concerning young people.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Hows Thailand expecting to make up for the lost revenue? Whats the plan Thailand all the money makers are closed.

It's the same the world over.   Thailand is not an exception.

12 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

because it's xenophobic, emphasizing the foreigners.

and why the gratuitous "getting drunk"?

Try to get over this.

And why getting drunk you ask? It's about keeping social distance at the moment, and not gather for a few beers together in a pub.

Only for 2 weeks. To keep it from spreading in an uncontrolled manner and the hospitals are overran and you have to lay in a 

sports hall or field somewhere.

It's difficult to comprehend ... I fully agree with Mazzo, some ppl will not get the message.

They have been asked 'nicely' to refrain from going to the bars for a moment. 

If they don't do it ... you will have military on the street in 3 weeks and they will tell you in a different way.

5 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

I don't condone the foreigners lack of regard for the present pandemic but I also believe in freedom of choice. One can only hope that people use a common sense approach to the situation and if they can't see the reality I don't think 'a good beating' will work either. (Where I live there are quite a few foreigners who ride the wrong way on their m/b, don't wear helmets and I have pointed it out too. If they blatantly break that law well...)

Okay this has nothing to do with Thailand but because it is the same issue, have you seen this? The relevant issue is at about 1 minute and 8 minutes concerning young people.

In a situation like this, the reality and dangers override the thing you call freedom of choice. That needs to be a part of the common sense you are trying to mention.

Normally I also believe in freedom of choice, but not when it has a potential to pose a danger or a problem for other people.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Daveyh said:

there is no excuse whatever way you twist it. I'm definitely ashamed how my fellow countrymen act when on holiday here in Thailand ........ their lack of manners, selfishness & ignorance of their surroundings really makes me cringe, but it's tolerated here locally as money has been the priority here for years

Fully agree with you.

And then I read for years from all those Farang's how 'superior' they are in the West, in terms of education.

Look at the news what's going on in Europe and how fast it spreads.

Switch your brain on and you don't want this kind of crisis here in Thailand ... as a foreigner with hardly a flight out and the hospital system not on par. And without the support from your Western gov.

I can't believe those ppl ... really have a hard time.

• Like 1