Pattaya: Dozens of foreigners flouting virus regulations getting drunk in a bar - owners arrested

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Wuhan is not a race.

It originated in Wuhan, China and nobody is going to forget that.

WuFlu is a great name for it.

Yes and we should call the "Spanish" flu of 1918-1920 the Kansas flu, or the Yankee flu. The best evidence suggests that it started in Kansas, and went on to kill 50 to 100 million people. Makes Covid 19 look harmless. 

Edited by Nigel Garvie
spelling
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Surprised, as the bar in the photo was definitely not open when I went out for a look earlier this afternoon.

12 hours ago, david555 said:

Same Sam but little different 5555…..

they are very  active latest , I saw them on Theprasit rd. check points for long time ,several times checking both directions moto cycles AND cars (just looking thru windows for safety belt wearing  I guess...)

And not only Farang or other foreigners , Thais also ….

So some high ranks could be"  loaded " now

How do they boost their pensions by looking through a window?

46 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Big star 

Well said , it seems likely ( with some input from Yinn) that allegedly this headline is slightly misleading.

Maybe we should set up a ‘reality check’ thread on headlines.

I have a suspicion that would not go down too well.

if allegedly this headline has been changed so much - it’s disgraceful.

Reality check thread would be great, love that. Pinned right at the top of the news forum. No, that ain't gonna happen!

Disgraceful . . . and in my view immoral, stoking paranoia and racial hatred in farangs reading the forum. Not atypical.

2 minutes ago, Accidental Tourist said:

Why we are getting still in rage of the "Foreigner"issue? The virus will note no difference...

It's time for Thailand to wake up and introduce strict measure to ALL in the country; as partying and mass gathering are still taking place ALL over the country...sick

Too right ... but some Farangs are too smart to get this.

The virus knows no borders, that should be clear to everyone with even only half a brain now.

At least do your part, the least you can do.

Edited by RedPill

13 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What? Is there something seriously wrong with you? What does it matter if they are drunk or not? Do you believe that people get immune against the virus if they are not drunk? Seriously! What a stupid comment.

When I see fellow foreigners behaving this way, I feel the shame they put over all of us. That places would try to keep open anyway was expected, but that fellow foreigners can´t get of grip of the severity is totally unfathomable. Shame on all of you that are doing this, showing disregard and disrespect to your fellow human beings.

they look like they are waiting for food, that is allowed

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, CHdiver said:
13 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Walking dead. They were selfish and ignorant when they were young. They are no different now that they are old. Show them the videos from France, Spain and Italy of the people their age  gasping for breath, lying in their urine and  feces because there is no one available to clean them, let them see those begging for help, slowly dying. Maybe they will get it.

If not, just isolate them all together in a cheap flat  and they can get to know each other some more.

Without a link to this "videos" I would say you are scaremongering. I did see some videos from Italian Hospitals, but beside showing people in beds even in the hallways, there was no urine or feces. So, please show us some effidence, or <deleted>.

Repost

Scaremongering and Idiocy needs the light of day

13 hours ago, david555 said:

…"getting drunk "

They ware just starting trying to getting to that stage ….I assume ????

after one beer the officer get drunken. So, also Farang must be drunken...

They see only alcohol and think beer and Whiskey, what the usually drink, would be the same.

I don't call it beer by the way. I call it German Water, while it is for us supposed to be just food, and explain how it was in the mid-age when people became sick of dirty water, but not from beer and wine.

59 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Have you self isolated?

Have you been to a restaurant? To a shopping Center? Tesco? 7-11?

How exactly were they behaving?

Is the Thai government still sitting? Is that showing disrespect?

Are the Thai markets still open? Is that showing disrespect?

Thai banks refusing to change cash from abroad, but still allowing Thai money to be in circulation, is that respectful? Is it only our money taht can get infected?

Get over yourself!

What in the world are you babbling about? If anybody should get over themself, it will be a restricted job only for you, dear Sir.  Why, you can easily understand by the answers below:

I have self isolated as much as possible, and if everybody would do that then the spreading of the virus would be smaller. You do what is absolutely necessary, and then you keep home. That is a way of showing that you understand the situation and want to do you part to help minimise the spread of the virus. Something that should be built in to every single individual.

They were behaving in the form of gathering in a place that should have been closed and were a group of people where almost nobody was wearing a face mask. Gathering in groups at one place is also something that pose a bigger risk for transfer the virus between people.

Question 3 is totally irrelevant to the rest of your comment on my post.

All Thai markets are not open, but many will continue as usual. That out of the reason to provide people with things they need. Entertainment venues is not included as a necessity. Neither is drinking beer in public during a virus outbreak.

The banks are taking safety precautions. That the Thai baht is still in circulation is because it has to be used on a daily basis. The choice to not handle any physical transaction with foreign currency at present time is also a precaution, that will help to lower the spread of the virus.

• Like 1

If this is the place I think it is, the old Rich Bar and Restaurant, after the change of ownership and refurbishment, I think they were still doing meals there.

Probably opened as a restaurant, which is still legal, but no music and band. 

How do you stop someone going to a restaurant, and they only order alcohol?  Maybe they have done nothing wrong. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

I think bad idea. 

If arrested must go to police station.

This law for to isolate people. Put them together is opposite= make the problem. 

Spread in the jail/spread together/spread to police. 

You guys really should think more.

Actually, you are right! Isolate them together. I pay for the rent of the house.

13 hours ago, glennb6 said:

Anut just closed the country Health certificates and 100k USD WuFlu Terror insurance required for all visitors. Won't be any bars around because there won't be any tourists to drink in them. 20% of thai gdp is was tourism. Good night!

Ban Govt

lol no but it is ban the border runs, unless you have a real visa for long term stay you're going to be hooped and I really don't see any much of a grace period if you end up on overstay - not when you have morons like in the OP, disregarding health measures to feed their addiction to alcohol.. 

10 minutes ago, johnarth said:

they look like they are waiting for food, that is allowed

Really?! Do you think that´s why the police arrested the owner and license holder? Would they have done that if it was considered to be allowed?

21 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

Restaurants, bar/restaurants, grocery stores and shopping malls are still open in bkk and at this point are not yet required to close. I am still able to have my morning coffee and bagel at local au bon pain shopping as normal and eat at my local Thai outdoor restaurant and watch the world go by. Hand sanitizer is everywhere and I use frequently plus the number of tourists is near zero so social distancing is also easy. Plenty of “sports bars” also in my area are all open because they serve food so when I get the weekly craving for a cheeseburger I have a place to go. 

Yes, restaurants were never part of the supposed closures list...  But pubs and bars were...supposedly. Perhaps the Thais define "pub" differently than we do, because most of the farang "pubs" I've seen in my neighborhood, places that also serve food, are continuing to operate.  But more to the point, I've also got several drinks-only bars in my neighborhood that are remaining open... And those, I can't understand or explain, given the supposed closure order.

13 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What? Is there something seriously wrong with you? What does it matter if they are drunk or not? Do you believe that people get immune against the virus if they are not drunk? Seriously! What a stupid comment.

When I see fellow foreigners behaving this way, I feel the shame they put over all of us. That places would try to keep open anyway was expected, but that fellow foreigners can´t get of grip of the severity is totally unfathomable. Shame on all of you that are doing this, showing disregard and disrespect to your fellow human beings.

EXACTLY! thank you

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, steven100 said:

88 next tuesday 

oh btw ... don't worry, you are in the low risk group.

From ppl your age, I would have really expected some better response to this on a public forum.

My head is spinning right now ???? Never stop learning about my fellow farangs in Thailand.

• Haha 1

It's a tough situation for people living in a small condo with no kitchen.  I did it myself for 2 of the 4 years I lived in Pattaya.  Ate out for every meal.  Tough when someone tells you you cannot go to a restaurant when that's how you live day to day.  And a lot go where alcohol is served....which is almost everywhere! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Thank you. My sentiments exactly. Punters who blatantly ignore the advice of experts put not only their lives at risk but the lives of others. Good that the bar owners were arrested. Glad that the authorities are at least taking this seriously. Forces ignorant farangs as well as Thai's to social distance, at least to the extent that closures of non-essential businesses will allow. Bars, restaurants gogo's, massage parlors etc.. are not necessary businesses. Grocery stores, pharmacies, banks, clinics are and will remain open. SF Bay area was one of the first to do this (probably because the SF bay area USA has the highest concentration of intellectuals found anywhere in the world)

Edited by likerdup1
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

In a situation like this, the reality and dangers override the thing you call freedom of choice. That needs to be a part of the common sense you are trying to mention.

Normally I also believe in freedom of choice, but not when it has a potential to pose a danger or a problem for other people.

Don't agree. Just because this virus has been labelled a pandemic doesn't mean you should start giving people 'good beating', as you previously wrote. This would be tantamount to 'hysteria'. If you are going to that for Covid 19 what about other contagious diseases? My point is where do you draw the line? The last thing I want to read, and I suspect other expats too, is that extreme measures were applied to foreigners for going into an establishment that shouldn't have been open.

I, personally only go out when it is necessary, in fact that is the way I live 90% of the time. I don't smoke, am TT and I spend lot of time on knowledge and I have keep a close net of friends. But trying to impose that on others, even for a short time, isn't morally or ethically correct.

No, we each know what should do in bad times and we can only politely encourage it to happen. There will always be extremists at both ends.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Don't agree. Just because this virus has been labelled a pandemic doesn't mean you should start giving people 'good beating', as you previously wrote. 

I, personally only go out when it is necessary, in fact that is the way I live 90% of the time. I don't smoke, am TT and I spend lot of time on knowledge and I have keep a close net of friends. But trying to impose that on others, even for a short time, isn't morally or ethically correct.

No, we each know what should do in bad times and we can only politely encourage it to happen. There will always be extremists at both ends.

The thing with a good beating, was meant to mean what it looks like needed and not be taken litterally. However, you seem to be hung on that now. Must be nice to have something like that, so you do not feel like shifting too much from the real focus.

Regarding, that you can not pose that kind of lifestyle on others? Yes, you can. In circumstances and times where there is a danger and a threat of helping to spread a potentially deadly virus to others there is no individual freedom of choice that can be tolerated. It´s people that still believe in freedom of individual choice in times like this, that are the problem and the danger that help to spread the virus to be able to kill more and more people.

And dear Sir! I can tell you that it does not mean sh*t if you don´t agree. There is nothing to agree or disagree about. The only thing that exists is pure facts speaking for themself. That is simply, if you act irresponsible you are contributing to the spread of the virus and if you only do what is absolutely necessary you contribute to the possibility to contain the virus.