Playing Golf and the virus

JAS21

I was wondering if anyone knows if any golf courses is taking precautions against possible virus transmission. We phoned our regular course yesterday and they said no change.

The caddie pulls my clubs out, passes my drink, passes my towel etc.etc and of course I'm not the only person that she caddies for....

Maybe next time we go there maybe there will be something in place ... I don't really want to give up that bit of exercise, nor does MrsJ but we have to weigh up the risk against not playing for weeks/months.... 

My regular caddie at a course yesterday had a mask around her neck but from memory only wore it occasionally during the round. Other than that I did not notice any changes.

A bigger issue for many playing golf here out  of the many bars may be being crammed into a minibus with up to 9 others plus the driver........

I am having similar thoughts to you.

A friend of mine who plays regularly in Hua Hin is still playing.  But, he goes very early so he can play alone.  He uses a caddy because the course requires it.  But, he keeps his distance.  He doesn't stop at any of the kiosks for drinks and doesn't use any minibuses.  And he always walks the course, i.e., no cart.  So, apparently it can be done safely.

Edited by rickb

1 hour ago, HungDonger said:

If you are so concerned why don't you ask the golf club if you can play without a caddie . Make sure you pay for a caddie anyway so as not to put her out of a job !  She is probably at far more risk than you.

They would never allow that. You MUST have a caddy whether you want one or not.

And if they they did allow that, the caddy would still be looking for the tip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am playing golf regularly. I play alone. I walk the course. I take a caddie, because they need the income and I was a caddie myself once. AFAIK the golf club has no restrictions in place. If the caddie was coughing and sneezing, I would ask for someone else.

My GF tells me many people in Chiang Rai have no income.

I now play the courses where caddies aren't required, they are usually 9 hole courses you play twice from different tees. We don't shake hands at the end and we don't get too close to each other. Try not to touch your face.

I would not share a car or minibus to the course.

Wear left and right gloves so the caddy handing you clubs etc isn't a big thing.

I'd avoid a cart, you are meant to be 2 metres apart

I only play the courses where I can take a caddy and help someone to have an income in these troubled times. Also helps as I can't see beyond the ladies tee.

Play early in the morning,cooler, and have no intention of stopping unless forced to but the couple of courses that I play on now have so few people it would not constitute even a small crowd.

Pick up drinks and snacks from 711 on the way to the courses.

I will wait and see if there is any update from our club next week.

Yes, we always walk the course.And start playing at first light. Any later and it’s just too hot. 

And of course I sweat so need to wipe my face frequently with a towel .

MrsJ and myself normally play just the two of us

Edited by JAS21

Thinking about it, I could go around with just a 7iron and a putter...and maybe a wedge. That would make things easier all round And the caddie could just pull the trolley and nothing else.

Edited by JAS21

Played at Pattana today - what I would term a mid to upper level course with upper level facilities. Everybody had their temperature checked at the driveway entrance off the main road, 2 minutes later at the entrance to the club house after unloading the clubs, on exiting the club house at the back after changing and again on entry at the end of the round.......

Lots of hand sanitizer bottles everywhere.

Course was in great condition by the way. 

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

I only play the courses where I can take a caddy and help someone to have an income in these troubled times. Also helps as I can't see beyond the ladies tee.

Play early in the morning,cooler, and have no intention of stopping unless forced to but the couple of courses that I play on now have so few people it would not constitute even a small crowd.

Pick up drinks and snacks from 711 on the way to the courses.

You've reminded me of the Scottish caddie joke. A tourist turns up to play at Muirfield. He is offered a caddie so old the tourist doubts his ability to see anything. The caddiemaster assures him the caddie has eyes like an eagle.

On the third hole, the tourist slices his drive into the rough. He wheels on the caddie and says "Did you see that?" The caddie responds " I know exactly where it is". They walk up the rough, and the tourist says " OK, where's my ball?" The caddie responds " I forget".

Legend has it Muirfield had a sign at the entrance " Dogs and women not allowed". In that order.

On 3/19/2020 at 10:09 AM, topt said:

My regular caddie at a course yesterday had a mask around her neck but from memory only wore it occasionally during the round. Other than that I did not notice any changes.

A bigger issue for many playing golf here out  of the many bars may be being crammed into a minibus with up to 9 others plus the driver........

I am having similar thoughts to you.

Ok, simple solution, have her wash her hands before you start the round... Then get your own drinks and towels... Have her hand you your clubs handle first so she is touching the ends only... This isn't too much concern with playing gold... I use the same caddie alkso which helps with doing things the way that works for both of us... She keeps a job and I feel safe.. Win Win!!!