Potential coronavirus treatment touted by Trump already in shortage -pharmacists

webfact

47 minutes ago, rabas said:

Your evidence just trashed your own attempt to trash American doctors because US fatalities were not that high.

More interestingly, Iran had the highest death rate in the world at 22% of the entire population (mortality). I assume their doctors were not as ignorant as the Americans.

It's not an attempt to trash American doctors, it's perfectly documented what happened:

In a 2009 paper published in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases, Karen Starko proposed that aspirin poisoning contributed substantially to the fatalities. She based this on the reported symptoms in those dying from the flu, as reported in the post mortem reports still available, and also the timing of the big "death spike" in October 1918. This occurred shortly after the Surgeon General of the U.S. Army and the Journal of the American Medical Association both recommended very large doses of 8 to 31 grams of aspirin per day as part of treatment. These levels will produce hyperventilation in 33% of patients, as well as lung edema in 3% of patients.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu#Aspirin_poisoning

So yes, this was a case of American doctors inadvertently poisoning the patients. Of course countries like India or Iran had even higher death rates because medical services were even worse.

2 minutes ago, riclag said:

Its a team effort J ! EVERYBODY who is anybody should be pulling  for the efforts of those who stand at the podium ,behind it and in  the rooms that support them!

Jan 30, 2020. A Trump speech in Michigan:

We think we have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five — and those people are all recuperating successfully. But we’re working very closely with China and other countries, and we think it’s going to have a very good ending for us … that I can assure you.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/17/how-trump-shifted-his-tone-on-coronavirus-134246

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Keep praying that it will...that's the sort of person you are.

You mean a realist? Unlike Trump who was in denial when crucial steps could have been taken. But that's what happens when you prefer the advice of cranks on Fox to that of real scientists. And because of that foolishness, a lot more people will die.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Keep praying that it will...that's the sort of person you are.

"Now, the virus that we’re talking about having to do — you know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April... We have 12 cases — 11 cases, and many of them are in good shape now.” — Trump at the White House."

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/02/will-the-new-coronavirus-go-away-in-april/

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

It wasn't the aspirin that killed, it was the ignorance of American doctors who prescribed the drug in far to big a dosage.

Moreover the aspirin hypothesis was trashed later by other academics:

54 minutes ago, Logosone said:

It's not an attempt to trash American doctors, it's perfectly documented what happened:

American doctors giving larger doses of Aspirin absolutely does not account for the lethality of the Spanish flu as you elude, whether not it caused complications. Fatality rate in the US were significantly lower, 675000 deaths out of a population of 103 million. Further, recent research on the actual 1918 virus conclusively shows the extreme lethality is due to the virus itself. See CDC's work on recreation of the Spanish flu and its evaluation. All well documented.

Edited by rabas

31 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Jan 30, 2020. A Trump speech in Michigan:

We think we have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five — and those people are all recuperating successfully. But we’re working very closely with China and other countries, and we think it’s going to have a very good ending for us … that I can assure you.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/17/how-trump-shifted-his-tone-on-coronavirus-134246

Thank god your not behind the podium,part of the team effort to stop this pandemic

Edited by riclag
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, rabas said:

American doctors giving larger doses of Aspirin absolutely does not account for the lethality of the Spanish flu as you elude, whether not it caused complications. Fatality rate in the US were significantly lower, 675000 deaths out of a population of 103 million. Further, recent research on the actual 1918 virus conclusively shows the extreme lethality is due to the virus itself. See CDC's work on recreation of the Spanish flu and its evaluation. All well documented.

Of course I never said that. If you recall I posted precisely to clarify that the Aspirin explanation for extreme lethality was incorrect. However, it is well documented that American doctors prescribed aspirin dosages that we now know kill people, so people died because of the treatment they were given in the US. 

Yes, we should definitely unreservedly support the President. Because just because he says we're at war, doesn't mean that a pending epidemic should in any way violate free market principles. Except when it comes to bailouts.

Trump Resists Pressure to Force Companies to Make Coronavirus Supplies

"President Trump and his advisers are resisting calls from congressional Democrats and a growing number of governors to use a federal law to mobilize industry to provide badly needed resources to help halt the spread of the coronavirus, days after the president said he would consider using that authority.

The Defense Protection Act grants presidents extraordinary powers to force American industries to produce medical supplies, materials and equipment that health care workers say are in dire shortage in hospitals across the country."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-supplies.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Edited by bristolboy

For the past 15 years he has warned of the dangers of a new virus emerging which could see as many as 165 million people die and he is now taking a hit of the actions of President Donald Trump for failing to do more early on to lessen the impact in the U.S. Brilliant branded Trump's claim that the coronavirus was a Democratic hoax as 'the most irresponsible act of an elected official that I've ever witnessed in my lifetime'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8135627/Doctor-helped-defeat-smallpox-says-coronavirus-dangerous-pandemic-lifetime.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Yes, we should definitely unreservedly support the President. Because just because he says we're at war, doesn't mean that a pending epidemic should in any way violate free market principles. Except when it comes to bailouts.

Trump Resists Pressure to Force Companies to Make Coronavirus Supplies

"President Trump and his advisers are resisting calls from congressional Democrats and a growing number of governors to use a federal law to mobilize industry to provide badly needed resources to help halt the spread of the coronavirus, days after the president said he would consider using that authority.

The Defense Protection Act grants presidents extraordinary powers to force American industries to produce medical supplies, materials and equipment that health care workers say are in dire shortage in hospitals across the country."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-supplies.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Britain and Boris have just promised to pay 80% of the wages of anyone unemployed for the next 3 months and closed virtually all public spaces indefinitely. We are all in this together , thank god for a nanny state which is much better than riots and despair. On a local phone ins there is almost joy in a weight that has been lifted off the shoulders of the  British people.  

Just what you need in a time of crisis. Thank god for Boris he is really rising to the challenge IMHO.

Just look at the despairing faces of those behind him - all decent people even Pencey.

What did the US do to deserve him at a time of existential crisis ? Truly shameful. 

Edited by URMySunshine
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bristolboy said:

You mean a realist? Unlike Trump who was in denial when crucial steps could have been taken. But that's what happens when you prefer the advice of cranks on Fox to that of real scientists. And because of that foolishness, a lot more people will die.

Maybe we should parachute you in to California. To turn things around.

Consider going...air tickets are really cheap now.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

Just what you need in a time of crisis. Thank god for Boris he is really rising to the challenge IMHO.

Just look at the despairing faces of those behind him - all decent people even Pencey.

What did the US do to deserve him at a time of existential crisis ? Truly shameful. 

He gave that guy the tongue-lashing he deserved for talking BS and playing to the liberal gallery...negativity doesn't help right now. Action is being taken

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

Well yes of course Trump administration officials are getting annoyed with silly leftist propagandists. Trump gave that cretin an epic beat down he had coming to him. Where was he when Obama was letting 12,000 Americans die from swine flu?????

I mean really... whining about Trump saying "Chinese virus", just as the media did repeatedly, is something to get bogged down in?

Edited by Crazy Alex

4 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

He gave that guy the tongue-lashing he deserved for talking BS and playing to the liberal gallery...negativity doesn't help right now. Action is being taken

Well if he cares about the working man he can take the lead from our PM and guarantee their wages for 3 months we are lucky and proud to have him.

Edited by URMySunshine
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Crazy Alex said:

Well yes of course Trump administration officials are getting annoyed with silly leftist propagandists. Trump gave that cretin an epic beat down he had coming to him. Where was he when Obama was letting 12,000 Americans die from swine flu?????

I mean really... whining about Trump saying "Chinese virus", just as the media did repeatedly, is something to get bogged down in?

The fact that you compare the two as being equivalents pretty much damns everything else you have to say I'm afraid. In the UK we are now united behind our PM and stand together as a people of whatever political persuasion to fight this damn thing. That's what being a leader for all the people means. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

Britain and Boris have just promised to pay 80% of the wages of anyone unemployed for the next 3 months and closed virtually all public spaces indefinitely. We are all in this together , thank god for a nanny state which is much better than riots and despair. On a local phone ins there is almost joy in a weight that has been lifted off the shoulders of the  British people. 

England has a 33% higher infection rate per capita than the US.

England's has a death rate per capita nearly 400% higher than the US.

FACTS. COLD, HARD FACTS.

But hey, Boris is handing out more free money! So it's all good.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

The fact that you compare the two as being equivalents pretty much damns everything else you have to say I'm afraid. In the UK we are now united behind our PM and stand together as a people of whatever political persuasion to fight this damn thing. That's what being a leader for all the people means. 

The fact that you try dismiss FACTS pretty much shows you know you've lost the argument. Disqualifying one's argument because of something other than the facts presented is an old debate trick used by people who know they've lost- especially when you use false gobbledygook. Now, on what facts do you base your claim about the UK being united?

1 minute ago, Crazy Alex said:

England has a 33% higher infection rate per capita than the US.

England's has a death rate per capita nearly 400% higher than the US.

FACTS. COLD, HARD FACTS.

But hey, Boris is handing out more free money! So it's all good.

No it won't be free we will all have to pay for it in the end and as a relatively wealthy person I will probably have to dig deep and pay my fair share and that is my responsibility as a citizen. But we are in it together with our front line healthcare workers the true heroes of this sad unfolding drama. Not egotistical real estate billionaires hell bent on lying their way to re-election. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

The fact that you try dismiss FACTS pretty much shows you know you've lost the argument. Disqualifying one's argument because of something other than the facts presented is an old debate trick used by people who know they've lost- especially when you use false gobbledygook. Now, on what facts do you base your claim about the UK being united?

Listening to vox pop phone ins and monitoring UK forums and an educated hunch. And knowing my people we are not much bigger than California after all. Finally the time for partisan politics is at an end - we need to fight this and recover and our political class are as one at this with no time for petty political point scoring. Like I said united as a country. 

Edited by URMySunshine

Just now, URMySunshine said:

No it won't be free we will all have to pay for it in the end and as a relatively wealthy person I will probably have to dig deep and pay my fair share and that is my responsibility as a citizen. But we are in it together with our front line healthcare workers the true heroes of this sad unfolding drama. Not egotistical real estate billionaires hell bent on lying their way to re-election. 

What does that have to do with you being satisfied with a higher infection rate and much higher death rate? Please help me understand. You angry at Trump for how he's handled coronavirus. At the same time, you're happy with Boris, even though the stats are far worse for you than the US. That does not make logical sense. How about we stick with facts and reality. Huffing and puffing with vague claims that can't be validated is a very poor excuse for a rational argument.

Just now, Crazy Alex said:

Anecdotes. Just as I figured.

The numbers at this stage are too small to make any meaningful assumptions from the data. We will only know the true picture when the dust finally settles in a few months and the cost will be measured in lives , economic impacts and social stability. You were no doubt one of those flu deniers a few weeks ago and have been smashed in the face with a reality check sadly as has Trump.  If I was petty I would google your pronouncements but I'm not so I wont. (scuttles off to google in a mean spirited , petty way !)

33 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

The numbers at this stage are too small to make any meaningful assumptions from the data. We will only know the true picture when the dust finally settles in a few months and the cost will be measured in lives , economic impacts and social stability. You were no doubt one of those flu deniers a few weeks ago and have been smashed in the face with a reality check sadly as has Trump.  If I was petty I would google your pronouncements but I'm not so I wont. (scuttles off to google in a mean spirited , petty way !)

So is saying stuff like "smashed in the face with a reality check" supposed to be a substitute for a rational argument? And still no comment on the actual facts? Let's review, shall we?

England: 33% higher per capita infection rate

England: 398% higher per capita death rate

You're happy with Boris and angry at Trump. And you don't even live in the US. And you can't even make an attempt to explain your logic?

Meh... I think you've had enough. See ya!

Edited by Crazy Alex
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

So is saying stuff like "smashed in the face with a reality check" supposed to be a substitute for a rational argument? And still no comment on the actual facts? Let's review, shall we?

England: 33% higher per capita infection rate

England: 398% higher per capita death rate

You're happy with Boris and angry at Trump. And you don't even live in the US. And you can't even make an attempt to explain your logic?

Meh... I think you've had enough. See ya!

to be continued......