Premier League extends shutdown with end-date left open

webfact

Premier League extends shutdown with end-date left open

By Simon Evans

2020-03-19T135647Z_1_LYNXMPEG2I1C3_RTROPTP_3_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-SOCCER-ENGLAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Watford - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - February 23, 2020 General view of a match ball held by Manchester United's David de Gea during the warm up before the match Action Images via Reuters/Lee Smith

(Reuters) - English soccer will be suspended until at least April 30 due to the coronavirus crisis, but the current season can be extended indefinitely, the English game's governing bodies said in a joint statement on Thursday.

The Football Association, Premier League, EFL and women's professional game bodies, along with players and managers associations, agreed to extend the formal end-date for the 2019/2020 season in a bid to complete the campaign.

"We are united in our commitment to finding ways of resuming the 2019/20 football season and ensuring all domestic and European club league and cup matches are played as soon as it is safe and possible to do so," the organisations said following a video conference meeting on Thursday.

Last week all elite soccer matches in England, including the Premier League, Football League (EFL) and Women’s Super League (WSL), were suspended until April 4.

With non-league, youth and amateur football having also subsequently suspended play, the English game is in a state of total shutdown.

European soccer's governing body UEFA agreed on Tuesday to postpone Euro 2020 for a year, clearing space in the calendar for domestic competitions to finish -- if the public health situation allows.

FA rules say the season should end by June 1, but the decision was taken to extend that into the summer.

"The progress of COVID-19 remains unclear and we can reassure everyone the health and welfare of players, staff and supporters are our priority," the joint statement said.

"We will continue to follow Government advice and work collaboratively to keep the situation under review and explore all options available to find ways of resuming the season when the conditions allow."

(Reporting by Simon Evans; Editing by Toby Davis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-20

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

I'm not a fan of that idea. 

No easy solution to this but a colditz camp solution i don't like at all...sounds a bit barbaric and inhumane on those forced to be in the camps.  

Jeff Stelling i think it was offered the idea of finishing the season now based on average points gained (total points divide by games played) but i could legal arguments to that (we had a lot of easier games coming up when we would have got more points).

30 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I'm not a fan of that idea. 

No easy solution to this but a colditz camp solution i don't like at all...sounds a bit barbaric and inhumane on those forced to be in the camps.  

Jeff Stelling i think it was offered the idea of finishing the season now based on average points gained (total points divide by games played) but i could legal arguments to that (we had a lot of easier games coming up when we would have got more points).

"Barbaric and inhumane" they are not being boiled alive for supper, <deleted> me 

27 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

BTW these video ads in the bottom right hand corner on every page, that are making the page lag a reload  with the video might be the end for me on this site, it's <deleted> annoying.

Techies were aware of this problem at the beginning of March...see the top thread on the 'Forum Support' forum. I don't get the vid ads on my laptop but I'll try and get an update for you mate.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

BTW these video ads in the bottom right hand corner on every page, that are making the page lag a reload  with the video might be the end for me on this site, it's <deleted> annoying.

Yep the ads (ALL the ads) are really slowing down the site and it is fair comment that it is becoming annoying.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2020 at 11:24 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

So do you think it's a good idea then Bob?

Have a read of this thread:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BurfMCFC/status/1244539162356785153

Just another pathetic blue posting shiiite but actually all comes down to is them wanting to void the league so Liverpool don't win it. Please stop asking me to read your fellow fans pathetic pish you <deleted>

Edited by BangrakBob

7 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Just another pathetic blue posting shiiite but actually all comes down to is them wanting to void the league so Liverpool don't win it. Please stop asking me to read your fellow fans pathetic pish you <deleted>

I don't think so Bob; the idea is <deleted>.

Better to finish the season whenever that is and adjust the following season in my opinion.

And I think you have to stop thinking just about Liverpool but about ALL the other clubs in the 4 Divisions (and below) who are in the positions to be: champions, get in to Europe, be or avoid being relegated, be promoted and make the playoff positions. It's not all about <deleted> Liverpool you know!!!

Edited by wilai
profanity removed

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I don't think so Bob; the idea is <deleted>.

Better to finish the season whenever that is and adjust the following season in my opinion.

And I think you have to stop thinking just about Liverpool but about ALL the other clubs in the 4 Divisions (and below) who are in the positions to be: champions, get in to Europe, be or avoid being relegated, be promoted and make the playoff positions. It's not all about f*cking Liverpool you know!!!

you <deleted> stupid <deleted>, that has been the argument all along, the issue at the bottom of the table is far more critical, so why keep posting <deleted> that suggests best to void it <deleted>. 

54 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

you <deleted> stupid <deleted>, that has been the argument all along, the issue at the bottom of the table is far more critical, so why keep posting <deleted> that suggests best to void it <deleted>. 

Sorry, where have I seriously suggested to void the season?

Bob have to say that you seem to be getting a bit irrational - is the suspense killing you? 

On 4/1/2020 at 9:32 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

Sorry, where have I seriously suggested to void the season?

Bob have to say that you seem to be getting a bit irrational - is the suspense killing you? 

The <deleted> ejjit who wrote that <deleted> you prompted us to read did, bell whiff 

18 hours ago, wilai said:

Jupiler League in Belgium declared over and done. Club Brugge declared Champions. Relegation/promotion etc to be decided at a later date.

...with 29 games out of 30 in the regular league programme already played, effectively it has abandoned the play-off system that should have followed and is seen as a special case. Brugge couldn't be caught.

Screenshot_20200403-143437_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200403-143448_Chrome.jpg

Premier League Meeting. No restart date as yet. Relevant quote below:

It was acknowledged that the Premier League will not resume at the beginning of May – and that the 2019/20 season will only return when it is safe and appropriate to do so.

The restart date is under constant review with all stakeholders, as the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic develops and we work together through this very challenging time.

BBC "The working groups trying to find a resolution on behalf of Europe's governing body Uefa, the European Clubs' Association and the European Leagues have heard the chatter too. In addition, they are desperate to prevent the cancellation of the Belgian Pro League triggering a domino effect.

Their letter to associations, leagues and clubs has pleaded for time - mid-May - to come up with a solution. It also contained a stark warning. Leagues that end prior to completion - as Belgium has done - risk not being allowed into next season's Champions and Europa Leagues."