Former U.N. ambassador Nikki Haley leaves Boeing board, opposing federal aid

webfact

Former U.N. ambassador Nikki Haley leaves Boeing board, opposing federal aid

2020-03-19T230120Z_1_LYNXMPEG2I2D8_RTROPTP_3_UKRAINE-CRISIS-RUSSIA-UN.JPG

United States Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley speaks during a meeting of the United Nations Security Council about the situation in Crimea at U.N. Headquarters in the Manhattan borough of New York City, New York, U.S., November 26, 2018. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri

(Reuters) - Former U.N. ambassador Nikki Haley has resigned from Boeing Co's board after opposing its bid for government financial assistance due to the crisis caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

"I cannot support a move to lean on the federal government for a stimulus or bailout that prioritizes our company over others and relies on taxpayers to guarantee our financial position," Haley said in a letter to the company's management released by Boeing on Thursday.

"I have long held strong convictions that this is not the role of government."

Haley, a former South Carolina governor, has often been mentioned as a future presidential candidate. "The board and executive team are going in a direction I cannot support," she wrote.

When asked to respond to Haley's concerns, Boeing said only the company appreciated her service on the board and wished her well.

Boeing this week said it was seeking on behalf of itself and the aviation manufacturing industry at least $60 billion in government loan guarantees and other assistance. The sector faces huge losses from the coronavirus pandemic as airlines halt flights and some delay orders.

A Senate Republican proposal introduced Thursday would allow aviation manufacturing firms like Boeing to seek collateralized loans and loan guarantees from a $150 billion fund but not provide any cash. The final decision on eligibility would be up to the U.S. Treasury.

"We are not bailing out the airlines or other industries – period," said Senator Richard Shelby, a Republican who chairs the Appropriations Committee.

To ensure the government is compensated for risks in making loans, the U.S. Treasury could seek equity, warrants stock or other instruments to ensure the government participates in any gains.

Haley's resignation letter was dated Monday, the same day Boeing confirmed it was in talks to seek short-term assistance from the U.S. government.

Boeing has racked up nearly $19 billion in costs tied to its 737 MAX aircraft, which has been grounded for the past year after two fatal crashes in five months. The company has been working to win approval for the plane to return to service.

(Reporting by Ankit Ajmera in Bengaluru and David Shepardson in Washington and Michelle Nichols in New York; Editing by Arun Koyyur and Tom Brown)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-20

Boing bought 45 billion of his own shares to support his stock market listing because the shareholders received high compensation, including management, and now he no longer has the necessary liquidity to stay afloat in times of crisis and all this management now weighs heavily on employees as always and no one in prison. This lady just wants to save her ass now and came back politic for next president staff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

She opposes this bail out, and takes action accordingly. I think that is a positive.

Would it not have been more constructive for Haley to articulate her position on how Boeing moves forward, rather than just bailing out due to political ideology.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Would it not have been more constructive for Haley to articulate her position on how Boeing moves forward, rather than just bailing out due to political ideology.

Yes, to the Boeing board. I would presume she did so.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, to the Boeing board. I would presume she did so.

May be, but currently that is speculation. From the OP her resignation letter is stated below which is pure hard core right wing political ideology, which at this stage is not supported by trump as he attempts to cling to power.

"I cannot support a move to lean on the federal government for a stimulus or bailout that prioritizes our company over others and relies on taxpayers to guarantee our financial position," Haley said in a letter to the company's management released by Boeing on Thursday.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, simple1 said:

May be, but currently that is speculation. From the OP her resignation letter is stated below which is pure hard core right wing political ideology, which at this stage is not supported by trump as he attempts to cling to power.

I don't see this as political ideology, but her personal belief that government should not be doing this. On that she based her conclusion and action, which I think it good.

I share her belief that Boeing, one of the companies that has been buying back their own shares at an incredible rate,  should not be eligible for this, but I don't share the underlying principle.

5 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

She is just clearing the deck so she can be Trump's VP running mate

The only hope Donald has of getting the woman's vote 

Agreed . Pence has been set up as fall guy for the virus control group.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I don't see this as political ideology<SNIP>

OK, but I disagree. She's very immersed in political posturing e.g...

Haley stated on Fox News and later tweeted that Democrats were "mourning the loss of Soleimani. PolitiFact described her claim as a "complete fabrication."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's always amazing how incompetent people get such well paid jobs.

What exactly is her qualification?

I bet she wouldn't even be able to identify the Boeing plane models.

Ah yes, I agree totally, especially if you include among "incompetent people" the son of Sleepy Joe.  (Well, NOT so sleepy when it came to feathering his son's nest.)

On topic, however, how many on this thread actually believe that the US govt should bail out (or massively subsidise) Boeing????

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, blazes said:

<SNIP>

On topic, however, how many on this thread actually believe that the US govt should bail out (or massively subsidise) Boeing????

In principal no issue as Boeing is a strategic supplier for the US, both military and commercial. Would assume government puts in-place T&Cs to claw back funds when Boeing's financial situation improves.

Not one penny to Boeing unless and until the stockholders are wiped out. They profited off the stock buybacks and now they want everyday working Americans to provide some sort of insurance for their profits. No. Stock must go zero.  If the stockholders don't like it, let them find their loan money some place else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With this point of view, she is not acting in Boeing’s best interest, and should never have been on the board, responsible for the companies future. Imo, she has defrauded Boeing of whatever director fee had been paid. And she is an American leader. Wonderful

I suspect she is just jumping off a sinking ship she wished she had got off a long time ago.

• Like 2

Considering, that only a fraction of Boeing's output is not for military use and taking into account that d1ckhead Dennis Muilenberg screwed up royally on that B737Max ....

It took Boeing two years to dump the fellow with a golden parachute on the way out. How can Haley qualify for a board seat - except lobbying in the various halls of American politics - and she took the easy way out as well. Unless a miracle happens (and it will be coming from Washington), then Boeing would be toast. But as Airbus is sponsored and subsidized left, right and centre - Boeing will follow suit. 

Haley just made a populistic exit; we'll see and hear from her anytime soon in the future again, just be patient! 

5 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Considering, that only a fraction of Boeing's output is not for military use and taking into account that d1ckhead Dennis Muilenberg screwed up royally on that B737Max ....

It took Boeing two years to dump the fellow with a golden parachute on the way out. How can Haley qualify for a board seat - except lobbying in the various halls of American politics - and she took the easy way out as well. Unless a miracle happens (and it will be coming from Washington), then Boeing would be toast. But as Airbus is sponsored and subsidized left, right and centre - Boeing will follow suit. 

Haley just made a populistic exit; we'll see and hear from her anytime soon in the future again, just be patient! 

Actually most of Boeing's output is (or maybe was) is for civilian use.

How Much Of Boeing’s Revenues Comes From The U.S. Government?

Boeing’s 4 divisions are expected to make $92.3 Billion for the full year of 2019.

1. Commercial Airplanes: $45.6 Billion (49%)
  2. Defense, Space & Security Systems: $27.4 Billion (30%)
  3. Global Services: $19.0 Billion (21%)
  4. Boeing Capital Corporation: $ 0.3 Billion (<1%)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2020/01/02/how-much-of-boeings-revenues-comes-from-the-us-government/#1a3687bb5144

9 hours ago, pegman said:

So she is ready to see 100K's of Boeing and it's  supplier's  jobs lost to preserve  her future  career in right wing politics. Wonder if she cashed out beforehand like her  fellow Republican? 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sen-richard-burr-sold-stock-stock-market-coronavirus

Hope she is smarter than that.  But it does look like there's more than one Senator who cashed out on inside information:

Sen. Richard Burr, chair of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, and Sen. Kelly Loeffler of Georgia, who is married to New York Stock Exchange Chairman Jeffrey Sprecher, reportedly dumped millions in stocks in wake of briefings on coronavirus. https://www.thestreet.com/politics/republican-senators-reportedly-sold-stocks-ahead-of-market-plunge