How is Hat Yai under crisis

phuketsub

I've had a trip planned for the big city for awhile' gotta get the car serviced and take my elderly mother-in-law to PSU Hospital for a check up.

I called ahead to my favorite whisky supplier, who told me there has been a disruption in the supply chain incoming from Malaysia and that many of their staple brands were out of stock.

We still have a lot of shopping to get done and just wonder how this is affecting trade [are shops and restaurants open?], traffic and the god-awful parking situation downtown.

Also, are all the massage places closed?

Is Makro well supplied? Is is crowded?

Any info much appreciated.

Up here in the sticks it's all pretty quiet and laid back, but there are still tons of teens joyriding around town on motorbikes -- much more than ever before. I assume this'll be a regional phenomenon.

Anyway, since so many of us have more free time on our hands than normal, please feel free to write in regarding the situation in your locale...

• Like 1

Hi there,

Songkhla province has already introduced the closure of entertainment venues, including pubs, massage parlours etc. Hotels, shops and restaurants are still open but restaurants have been advised to decrease the number of tables and maintain a larger distance between them.

There have been a dozen Covid cases reported in Songkhla province. 

The closure is intended to last 2 weeks, but given the worldwide situation, I reckon it will last longer than that.

Supermarkets have been well-stocked this week, but we don't know how this changes. Been to Macro and Tesco Lotus and found no shortages. Today, I am going to the Tesco near PSU, so I'll see how things have changed.

Sadao border seems to be closed, so this may be the answer to the whisky supply problems. 

Parking won't be a problem though. The town is becoming empty. It's finally easy to drive around.

I would definitely advise against coming here.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update; I would prefer not to go, but don't really have another choice since my wife insists on having her mom get a check-up.

I get so frustrated because her medical issues mostly stem from her being morbidly obese, but the doctors there never encourage her to change her diet, so it seems like a complete waste of time and energy to me -- not to mention the risk of exposure to novel pathogens.

• Like 1

I've not been into town since Saturday when we had dinner at the De Van Cuisine, it was all fairly normal then, with the food stalls around Lee Garden busy with weekend Malaysian families. We opted not to go for a beer on Sunday night. We're debating whether to go out for dinner tomorrow as usual, wife is suggesting not.

There's certainly been an increase in the numbers of people wearing masks while out and about, indeed I've taken to wearing one; not so much against the virus, rather to assuage anyone's fear of a 'dirty farang'.

Tuesday will be our next fortnightly shop, so we will see whether there are any empty shelves starting to appear. There was no sign of that a couple of weeks back, though both Big-C and Robinson's Tops had temperature checks and hand gel stations on entry.

Traffic is noticeably lighter, though with the schools on holiday that's always the case, but it also helps that the number of Malaysian tourist buses had decreased, and now since Wednesday stopped entirely.

There have been no virus cases reported for Songkhla province, though it's a concern that there were 140 or so Thai delegates at the tabligh convention at Masjid Jamek, Sri Petaling, Kuala Lumpur, which has been a huge source of infection in Malaysia. I assume most were from the south, but it's unclear if they've been quarantined or not. I guess time will tell.

I would say come do your shopping as planned, just follow the social distancing rules, stay about 2m away from anyone, don't touch your face unless you've washed your hands. Probably wear a mask, as much to calm worried Thais as to prevent infection.

Hat Yai's not yet the full zombie apocalypse.

Went to Tesco Lotus this morning. Apart from a slight shortage of canned fish and some brands of water, the shelves seemed well-stocked. I was surprised by the lot of meat and vegetables. They even had "no-added sugar" almond milk which they are usually short of ???? 

But as a bad news, I am afraid they are trying to locate a few possibly infected people. More and more messages are circulating on Facebook and Line looking for people who travelled between Bangkok and Hat Yai on the 7th, 8th, 12th, 15th. They also assume that some infected people appeared in Jiranakorn Stadium on the 14th and 15th. They also look for people who had taken certain minivans or cabs between the town and the airport. Man, it's the beginning. We'll be asked to stay indoors in a matter of days.

Yesterday,  the local government started disinfecting the town and free masks were given away this morning. See photos below.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by garrya
  • Like 1

Completed our fortnightly shop today, a day early, and we probably bought enough of the basics for a month.

Traffic in Hat Yai was much the same as usual, but it's noticeable now that more people are wearing masks, I'd guess around 75%. 

Big C Extra wasn't busy, and the only noticeable gap on the shelves was in the noodles aisle, canned foods were largely intact. TOPS was much the same, no more busy than usual for a lunchtime, and plenty of everything, the exception was coconut milk where the shelf was bare.

Driving through town I noted plenty of places shuttered up, noticeably the restaurants and bars, only saw one Malaysian registered car, and no buses.

The food delivery services are thriving, the pink liveried FoodPanda and green GrabFood, have now been joined by the red of Buddy Deliver, and the yellow of WeServe, all weaving in and out of the traffic or loitering waiting for food.

I think we'll survive down south.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update, Stocky. My trip went pretty well, but I got held up at immigration trying to get a re-entry permit. What would normally take 20 minutes turned into two hours because the place was swamped with people trying to get 30-day extensions...thus, I never had time to do the shopping. But we basically can get everything we need our here in the sticks anyway.

The good news is that the whisky hub had a case waiting for me, so I am sipping on some Walton's as I write this...anyway, hopefully we can get more reports from around the region as to how it is going.

On 3/21/2020 at 1:40 PM, garrya said:

Went to Tesco Lotus this morning. Apart from a slight shortage of canned fish and some brands of water, the shelves seemed well-stocked. I was surprised by the lot of meat and vegetables. They even had "no-added sugar" almond milk which they are usually short of ???? 

But as a bad news, I am afraid they are trying to locate a few possibly infected people. More and more messages are circulating on Facebook and Line looking for people who travelled between Bangkok and Hat Yai on the 7th, 8th, 12th, 15th. They also assume that some infected people appeared in Jiranakorn Stadium on the 14th and 15th. They also look for people who had taken certain minivans or cabs between the town and the airport. Man, it's the beginning. We'll be asked to stay indoors in a matter of days.

Yesterday,  the local government started disinfecting the town and free masks were given away this morning. See photos below.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Update:

Been in Big C and Tesco Lotus and now there are obvious signs of panic-buying. Empty shelves and shortage of products are seen. Loads of people pushing packed trolleys. 

Apparently, the curfew starts on the 25th or 26th. It will most likely be a partial curfew for the beginning.  The decision is being made now. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, garrya said:

Been in Big C and Tesco Lotus and now there are obvious signs of panic-buying. Empty shelves and shortage of products are seen. Loads of people pushing packed trolleys. 

It's a good job we went yesterday in that case.

Any updates? Total lockdown even here in Ranode. The houses are all shut up, but the problem seems to have trickled out onto the street. The roads are crazy now...lots of joyriding, poppin' wheelies, racing...no helmets, multiple passengers...and they are all wearing surgical masks.

4 hours ago, Vigilante said:

What do you mean by 'lockdown'?

Probably the voluntary type

'lockdown' might be inaccurate...but riding my bike through town is almost eerie for lack of activity...but except for the teenage boys on bikes, the self quarantine has been very effective.

I go out every day and ride around on my mountain bike through the rice fields,,,not a bad time to live in the middle of nowhere.

I've not been into town since Monday's shopping so can only comment on my local neighbourhood of Hat Yai Nai. 

I'd say that we're now at about 90% masked. But lock down no, most of the shops are open, meat, vegetables and fruit are all available locally with no signs of any shortages. Food stalls are still around but all restaurants are take away only. 

There was no Sunday street market today, so no buzz of early morning traffic today to wake me up. And the local mosque has ceased the call to prayer since Thursday, which is quite strange, you become so used to it that you're unaware of it until it's not there.

Hat Yai seems to be quieter, but this doesnt mean the driving gets easier. There seems to be a higher ratio of erratic drivers. 

Some 7/11s seem rather understocked now. Local market prices are on the rice. Bones for soup go for a 100 baht a kilo. The vendor charged 200 baht for pork. Got a medium-sized broccoli for 40 baht.

And what could have gone more wrong here? New neighbours moved in and they are those typical countryisde people. Loud motorbikes in and out any time of the day and the first thing that needs to be installed? It's the sound system with the bass pulled the loudest. 

When "lovely" neighbours do this, I usually get out of the house for hours or move into a hotel for a night or two. Depending on the situation. But what now?

Luckily there is no curfew, so this afternoon we are already out looking for a new rent.

4 hours ago, phuketsub said:

'lockdown' might be inaccurate...but riding my bike through town is almost eerie for lack of activity...but except for the teenage boys on bikes, the self quarantine has been very effective.

I go out every day and ride around on my mountain bike through the rice fields,,,not a bad time to live in the middle of nowhere.

I rode on my motorbke from Singha Nakon up to Krasae Sin today..back roads

The sugar palm 'corridor'

Beautiful country

25 minutes ago, Vigilante said:

I rode on my motorbke from Singha Nakon up to Krasae Sin today..back roads

The sugar palm 'corridor'

Beautiful country

That's probably the most beautiful area in Songkhla.

• Like 1

It’s been a few days since the night time curfew and threats of a 24 hour lockdown.

We thought it was advisable to bring our “big shop” at Makro forward a couple of weeks.

We arrived at 8.15, there was a little more action than normal, but we walked straight in after a temperature check, people weren’t hanging around, everyone quite courteous, giving people space. 

We needed a couple of saucepans, but not possible, any of the rows selling kitchenware, appliances, office supplies were taped off, only takeaway containers and food. 

Some people still don’t understand.  At the checkout, people were queuing leaving a great space between each or just walking away from the trolley. A woman just pushed her trolley between myself and the guy in front. I let it slide as the woman only had a few items, but the guy infront explained to the woman that we were all leaving safe distances and she had just barged in. 

When we left, there was a queue of around  200 people where the bike park is, they took temperature and handed out a mask in a sealed bag. People we let in on a 1-in-1-out basis.

We only live 2 mins from Big C - The wife will go tomorrow - maybe they have the same arrangement.

11311871-E344-4B96-932E-CBE4E627CE6A.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, recom273 said:

It’s been a few days since the night time curfew and threats of a 24 hour lockdown.

We thought it was advisable to bring our “big shop” at Makro forward a couple of weeks.

We arrived at 8.15, there was a little more action than normal, but we walked straight in after a temperature check, people weren’t hanging around, everyone quite courteous, giving people space. 

We needed a couple of saucepans, but not possible, any of the rows selling kitchenware, appliances, office supplies were taped off, only takeaway containers and food. 

Some people still don’t understand.  At the checkout, people were queuing leaving a great space between each or just walking away from the trolley. A woman just pushed her trolley between myself and the guy in front. I let it slide as the woman only had a few items, but the guy infront explained to the woman that we were all leaving safe distances and she had just barged in. 

When we left, there was a queue of around  200 people where the bike park is, they took temperature and handed out a mask in a sealed bag. People we let in on a 1-in-1-out basis.

We only live 2 mins from Big C - The wife will go tomorrow - maybe they have the same arrangement.

11311871-E344-4B96-932E-CBE4E627CE6A.jpeg

Thanks for the update; it is really useful info for those of us living out here in sticksville...would really appreciate another one from BigC...do you live near the one in Hat Yai Nai or the one downtown?

It's Tesco Lotus 2 in Hat Yai Nai, Big-C is Khlong Hae and Big-C Extra is downtown. I'll probably see what's happening with Tops (Robinsons) tomorrow and can get an update for Tesco Lotus 2 as well.

45 minutes ago, Stocky said:

It's Tesco Lotus 2 in Hat Yai Nai, Big-C is Khlong Hae and Big-C Extra is downtown. I'll probably see what's happening with Tops (Robinsons) tomorrow and can get an update for Tesco Lotus 2 as well.

Oh yeah...you're right. Stock up bro! Look forward to your report. 

5 hours ago, phuketsub said:

Thanks for the update; it is really useful info for those of us living out here in sticksville...would really appreciate another one from BigC...do you live near the one in Hat Yai Nai or the one downtown?

I live in Klong Hae, famous for the floating market, we rode past big c today, there didn’t seem any major activity.

One good thing, the wife found this place advertised on Facebook, it’s an organic “greenhouse” operation. 

https://www.facebook.com/KritSamaiPlantation.Hatyai.Songkhla/

If you need a ride out and avoid the crowds, and get some good supplies. We bought a kilo of salad, a couple of butternut squash, curly kale, and one of the nicest melons I have tasted in a long time. Expensive but he is a big operation and always has stock.

Also worth a note, we saw today, a police roadblock on the new Songkhla road, just before it intersects with the rte.4 ( yala > phattalung ) So they are out there doing something, not really too sure, the middle aged family I saw being pulled to the side all had masks.

Edited by recom273

Tops (Robinson) no queue to get in, temperature check and hand sanitiser on entry. Only a handful of people in the store, no restrictions on food & alcohol purchases, or the limited selection of household goods. No obvious gaps on the shelves.

Tesco Lotus 2 (Hat Yai Nai) also quiet, again no queue to get in, just temperature check and hand gel on entry. Non-food areas were cordoned off, so only purchases of food and drink possible. Visible gaps on shelves here, particularly noodles and tinned goods, the stacks of rice bags were looking a little sorry too. 

Face masks are close to 100% now in Hat Yai Nai, and certainly a requirement to enter shops. Food stalls still setting up at night, but it's all a lot quieter. I'm sleeping better because of the lack of motorbikes in the early hours. 

• Like 1

Big C Klong Hae - No queues, not so many customers. temperature check on the way in. Only one door open, the main entrance, but the bike park is still in the same place, meaning a walk in the sun. Only food available, dairy products, fruit and veg in limited supply. Oddly enough, Mr. Donut were open, 10 donut for 100B. 

Police - I was riding the back road along the canal from Big C extra to Klong Toey, and came across another police roadblock. I was without a helmet but wearing a mask. I was just waved through. If you are going out, might want to wear a mask at all times.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, recom273 said:

Oddly enough, Mr. Donut were open, 10 donut for 100B. 

Doughnut sellers are clearly having a bad time. Last Friday granddaughter and I thought we'd order a few via FoodPanda - Dunkin Donuts were offering buy 6 get 6 free for Bht174 so not as cheap as Mr Donut.

5 hours ago, Stocky said:

Doughnut sellers are clearly having a bad time. Last Friday granddaughter and I thought we'd order a few via FoodPanda - Dunkin Donuts were offering buy 6 get 6 free for Bht174 so not as cheap as Mr Donut.

I have boycotted Mr Donut in Thailand for years, since they stopped selling hot, black coffee...The only coffee they had at Mr Donut in Pattani was pre-mixed iced coffee with tons of sugar already added! What is the world coming to?!