Android Box

carlyai

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

You can take the box in to a proper shop and they will upgrade it for you.

I did it. It did cost 300b took about one hour.

They delete everything and reload all new.

Not sure if this helps.

Thanks for the reply but my box is dying, been dying for awhile.

OK.

The shop I used has 2 types.

I do not play games or anything other then TV and movies.

They have a higher end box probably what you are looking for.

So, it is out there.  But, are any of the tech malls even open now?

Also, check online maybe can get it delivered.

7 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Thanks for the reply but my box is dying, been dying for awhile.

No point in flogging a dead horse get yourself either the Mecool M8S Max with the cooling fan or the Beelink Gt. King and you will have peace of minds for several years to come...

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20200211020951&origin=y&SearchText=MECOOL+M8S+Max

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

No point in flogging a dead horse get yourself either the Mecool M8S Max with the cooling fan or the Beelink Gt. King and you will have peace of minds for several years to come...

Can't comment on the M8S Max but would not recommend the Beelink GT-King.

You are buying a box with 64 bit hardware but the firmware is a terrible 32 bit rooted version of Android 9 lacking a number of standard Android features.  Beelink have fixed some of the issues via OTA updates but the box will never have a full Android 9 firmware.

Jor.

• 5 months later...
On 3/20/2020 at 3:56 PM, jor said:

Can't comment on the M8S Max but would not recommend the Beelink GT-King.

You are buying a box with 64 bit hardware but the firmware is a terrible 32 bit rooted version of Android 9 lacking a number of standard Android features.  Beelink have fixed some of the issues via OTA updates but the box will never have a full Android 9 firmware.

Jor.

You seem to be a smart man, not?

Android doesn't release X64 OS for most SOC's, that is why all boxes run an X32 OS on a X64 platform.

Even the Nvidia shield TV, the so called king of the Android boxes, runs an X32 Android on a X64 capable chipset.

The TV Pro is X64 OS, and is one of the very few devices with less than 4 GB that has a X64 OS

Nvidia Shield 2019 32-bit

Main reason is because with less than 4 GB RAM, a X64 OS has no advantages, in fact on the devices with less than 4 GB RAM a X64 OS will perform worse than an X32 OS.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/01/14/nvidias-shield-tv-dongle-can-only-run-32-bit-apps-but-you-probably-dont-need-to-panic/

So, the question remains: why did Nvidia go with 32-bit Android TV on the Shield dongle? We reached out to the company with that very question, and the answer is perhaps unsurprising — Nvidia wanted a more economical price:

For an app to be Android TV-compliant, it must support 32-bit. As a result, SHIELD TV supports all Android TV apps. By moving SHIELD TV to 32-bit we were able to bring it to a lower price point without impacting the user experience for the vast majority of our users.

SHIELD TV Pro continues to support 64-bit for enthusiast users who want to sideload the rare instances when an app is 64-bit-only. Both models support all Android TV apps, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos and our new AI Upscaling feature.

It's important to keep in mind that 64-bit operating systems generally perform worse on systems with under 3-4GB of RAM than the 32-bit equivalents, even with identical CPUs. By going with 32-bit Android TV, Nvidia could stretch 2GB of RAM even further than it could with 64-bit Android TV, improving the overall experience.

Beelink has removed Android futures that are not needed on a TV box.

Hope you have learned something today

The firmware is rooted, which is a good thing, because certain app require a rooted version.

A personal attack on another member has been removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

4 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

Get a android firestick, i think much better user interface and also all round usability than any box iv had and iv had a few.

Bluetooth remote, alexa voice commands and use the tv power and volume keys from the handset

A firestick must be the most overrated streaming device in the world.

It has 1 GB RAM (working memory) and 8 GB storage, while any current tv box has a minimum of 3Gb RAM and 32 GB storage

Have you ever tried to run your PC or smartphone with only 1 GB RAM?

It has no Ethernet connection, and a poor wireless connection, unless you purchase extra adapters.

First version of the Firestick you couldn't install a VPN, but latest version you can install SOME VPN's

Amazon still controls the device you paid for, similar to what Apple and Roku does, and remove apps remotely if they don't like it.

Few years ago they pushed an update that removed Kodi from your firestick, which means you would wake up one day, and Kodi would have been removed.

Recently they are removing IPTV apps, using the same method, and you can't even reinstall them because they make them invisible in filelinked.

Reason is that they have some rights to EPL and don't like competition.

Yes it is cheap, which obviously is the main reason people like it

On 3/20/2020 at 1:24 PM, carlyai said:

Thanks for that.

Well I got the BeeLink and all was working fine, then I lost the A/V audio out to my headset transceiver. Thought it was something I did but now got it back and have to remove/ restore the power now before I use the box to get A/V audio. I think it's something to do with the power off button feature from my remote. One of these days I'll have a look but as it's working I'll leave good alone.

Next time I think I may go to a Windows version as there seems to be a lot more servers for my VPN.

I did a hard reset for my other Android box that was dying and it now works. One day I'll re-install all the apps I lost.

On 9/11/2020 at 12:39 PM, carlyai said:

Next time I think I may go to a Windows version as there seems to be a lot more servers for my VPN.

Try updating your VPN app, as for sure Android - Windows or whatever version will have the same servers.

For those who doubt that Amazon controls what you use on your device, below is a post from another forum made yesterday.

IPTV not working on firestick anymore, but still works on laptop

I've been using the Gotit player for years without problems, but about a week ago the service stopped working. Contacted the provider and they confirmed that the subscription is still active. Indeed, it does work on my laptop!

- I've tried the Gotit app (reinstalled) and IPTV Smarters app with the same result (service expired/could not connect to server)
- Sub works fine on IPTV Smarters desktop app in the same network

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 8:24 PM, Susco said:

A firestick must be the most overrated streaming device in the world.

It has 1 GB RAM (working memory) and 8 GB storage, while any current tv box has a minimum of 3Gb RAM and 32 GB storage

Have you ever tried to run your PC or smartphone with only 1 GB RAM?

It has no Ethernet connection, and a poor wireless connection, unless you purchase extra adapters.

First version of the Firestick you couldn't install a VPN, but latest version you can install SOME VPN's

Amazon still controls the device you paid for, similar to what Apple and Roku does, and remove apps remotely if they don't like it.

Few years ago they pushed an update that removed Kodi from your firestick, which means you would wake up one day, and Kodi would have been removed.

Recently they are removing IPTV apps, using the same method, and you can't even reinstall them because they make them invisible in filelinked.

Reason is that they have some rights to EPL and don't like competition.

Yes it is cheap, which obviously is the main reason people like it

Not just how cheap it is, the UX looks much better, the BT remote is handy. And the Youtube app (TV version) works flawlessly.

Now if there was a box with a decent big launcehr) or stick with the same then maybe be better as your right 1gb ram is a bit skinny

15 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Not just how cheap it is, the UX looks much better, the BT remote is handy. And the Youtube app (TV version) works flawlessly.

Now if there was a box with a decent big launcehr) or stick with the same then maybe be better as your right 1gb ram is a bit skinny

You never heard about leanback launcher or custom Android TV firmware, or Youtube Vanced?

50 minutes ago, Susco said:

You never heard about leanback launcher or custom Android TV firmware, or Youtube Vanced?

Yes, Yes and Yes, Leanback launcher is OK.. Good luck trying to install custom firmware on a Android Box and Youtube Vanced is just the same as normal Youtube with the play in the background option.

2 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

Good luck trying to install custom firmware on a Android Box and Youtube Vanced is just the same as normal Youtube with the play in the background option.

I compile custom firmware myself, and flash them daily on boxes for years already, because that is my business.

For some boxes I have Android TV firmware including the ATV Playstore of course, which is otherwise not available for that box, others have a completely debloated firmware on which you can install only those apps that are interesting for you

Youtube Vanced plays Full HD and 4K, which otherwise is only possible on certified boxes.

There is now also Vanced youtube music.

But what is the most important here is, that my custom firmwares don't remotely remove or block apps, unlike the Amazon Firestick