Pattaya: Thai media reports it's deserted - businesses complying with closure order but beach has many people, they claim

webfact

The timing of the outbreak maybe a blessing.  Had it become apparent a week after Songkran, imagine all the thousands more globally that would have gone home infected, but not aware they would be spreading it far and wide.   

7 hours ago, phetchy said:

The timing of the outbreak maybe a blessing.  Had it become apparent a week after Songkran, imagine all the thousands more globally that would have gone home infected, but not aware they would be spreading it far and wide.   

Not sure about that..... Chinese New Year likely made things a lot worse!

On 3/20/2020 at 3:22 AM, cryo said:

As their Russian language newspaper's and internet is saying there is no problem why would they not be acting as normal. It will slowly sink in as they start asking why everything is shutting down. Do not blame them they are just too trusting of their leaders as are Thai's. I know one or two fairly educated Thais and I can guarantee they will be in lockdown or something similar.

Russia seems to have contained it unlike leaders of Western countries who cant conrol it and resort to lying, cheating. and obfuscating the situation. Shame to them for causing this World wide pandemic and putting everybody's life in dangers.

Edited by Mulambana

23 hours ago, dogfish180 said:

Went inside Jomtien Immigration yesterday. It looked like a giant Covid 19 Petri dish. Full of old expats jammed in the waiting room. At least they aren't in the bars! ????

Maybe you are just telling porkies, because since weeks people at jomtien immigration have to wait outside under a tent specially set up for this purpose

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Susco said:

Maybe you are just telling porkies, because since weeks people at jomtien immigration have to wait outside under a tent specially set up for this purpose

And perhaps you do not know what you are talking about. I was not made to wait outside, in fact I did sit there as it was lunchtime and I could get a seat in front of the coolers. I watched as people went straight in there, normally through the doors labelled EXIT, and a queue formed at the other door. I went and joined them and the outside area was not used, and it was crowded, as usual, inside, with no seats free. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

And perhaps you do not know what you are talking about. I was not made to wait outside,

And perhaps you can't read or don't know how to comply with rules, because unless they have removed the signs since my last visit, which I doubt, it is clearly signed get your queue number at the desk  THEN WAIT OUTSIDE until your number get called.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Susco said:

And perhaps you can't read or don't know how to comply with rules, because unless they have removed the signs since my last visit, which I doubt, it is clearly signed get your queue number at the desk  THEN WAIT OUTSIDE until your number get called.

I don't see the sense of sitting outside on my own (after having already queued) in 33 degC heat, when everyone else is sat inside (and standing around) in the air-conditioning. Outside there is no queue indicator, otherwise it may serve well as an over spill, and for the smokers. 

It should be obvious to you I can read, and complying with rules is not obligated at immigration....maybe they have reinstated it since my last visit, or the tent blew away.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 9:28 AM, DefaultName said:

As to the beach, isn't a regular dip in salt water a good way to disinfect?

There is not only salt in that water. Please remember to take your skin with you when your finished.

I said it before, and I will say it again. I think many of the virologists and researchers who claim that the virus cannot thrive in this heat, are correct. Sure, there is still going to be some direct transmission. But, it appears that the contagious droplets cannot survive on a surface for more than an hour or two, in heat of 30c of higher. So, we appear to have that in our favor. At least the heat here is good for something! 

So far, we are looking at a minuscule number of cases here. Well under 1,000. Malaysia has nearly double that, but they allowed Mosque services to continue, until they realized it was too little, too late, in the way of prevention. That was absolutely inane. No other tropical country in the world has the kind of numbers we see in the US (up to 43,734 as of now), Europe, and NE Asia. Even Brazil, as huge and populated as it is, only has 1,924 cases. So, let's all calm down, take a deep breath, and be thankful we are here in Thailand. I consider it to be one of the safest places on earth, right now. Let us hope we do not see a great spread of the virus here. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Hold that result. Vindaloo won't kill it.

Not spices. The heat. The air temperature kills it. And it retards the spread. Just look at the list and compare highly populated warm countries with colder countries. We have an advantage. 

35 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Not spices. The heat. The air temperature kills it. And it retards the spread. Just look at the list and compare highly populated warm countries with colder countries. We have an advantage. 

I sort of go with the virus being killed off if it lands on a surface that gets full tropical sunlight and high UV levels  ( hence vindaloo was tongue in cheek ) no scientific knowledge/proof on my part to justify my thoughts though it feels like it makes sense. There will be the arguement 'what about the middle east?' Dare I mention general lack of hand washing, years of war and water priority is for drinking, and all eating from the same central dish using hands and a not too well advanced health care system unless you're stinking rich. Anyway you get my jist.

So in general I agree with the idea of heat and throw in a good dose of UV.

India? I'll still go with 'hold that result'. Lots of people in close contact.

Edit.

Anyone got a digital thermometer to check the temperature of their car parked in the sun here for an hour. Outside and inside the car?

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

I sort of go with the virus being killed off if it lands on a surface that gets full tropical sunlight and high UV levels  ( hence vindaloo was tongue in cheek ) no scientific knowledge/proof on my part to justify my thoughts though it feels like it makes sense. There will be the arguement 'what about the middle east?' Dare I mention general lack of hand washing, years of war and water priority is for drinking, and all eating from the same central dish using hands and a not too well advanced health care system unless you're stinking rich. Anyway you get my jist.

Edit.

Anyone got a digital thermometer to check the temperature of their car parked in the sun here for an hour. Outside and inside the car?

Also, the middle east is not hot this time of year. Averaging around 16-24 in most areas. Not hot enough. 

Now we are getting a flip flop from the army. There was a general "go home, get out of the big cities" attitude last week. Then photos surfaced of the Mo Chit Bus terminal being jammed, and they were embarrassed. This week they are saying please stay in cities and do not go home. However the cities are locked down and you don't have a job. What can one say?

22 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Also, the middle east is not hot this time of year. Averaging around 16-24 in most areas. Not hot enough. 

Now we are getting a flip flop from the army. There was a general "go home, get out of the big cities" attitude last week. Then photos surfaced of the Mo Chit Bus terminal being jammed, and they were embarrassed. This week they are saying please stay in cities and do not go home. However the cities are locked down and you don't have a job. What can one say?

Me and she are 'self islolating' after doing one of the last possible border hops. 7 days now and all ok.

Total shut down for 2 or 3 weeks must be done. It's not going to stop the virus in its track, nothing except a vaccine can. It's just the way this virus is.

No objection from me if it means curfews or soldiers/police on the streets.

I don't want to get sick or die from this because some think no-one has the right to stop them having parties or going to the bars.

Shut everything except food shops and pharmacies.

Medical services need as many breaks as they can get.

14 hours ago, overherebc said:

Me and she are 'self islolating' after doing one of the last possible border hops. 7 days now and all ok.

Total shut down for 2 or 3 weeks must be done. It's not going to stop the virus in its track, nothing except a vaccine can. It's just the way this virus is.

No objection from me if it means curfews or soldiers/police on the streets.

I don't want to get sick or die from this because some think no-one has the right to stop them having parties or going to the bars.

Shut everything except food shops and pharmacies.

Medical services need as many breaks as they can get.

You are getting your wish. Looks like the army is imposing a 7pm curfew as of tomorrow, and is on the verge of imposing martial law.

26 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

You are getting your wish. Looks like the army is imposing a 7pm curfew as of tomorrow, and is on the verge of imposing martial law.

It will be interesting.

Watching tv news from uk they were asking some brain deads why they were out exercising together and were they worried about their community.

Answer.  Nah mate we're elfy so it dont matta does it.

Wish I had the power to redirect this virus. I know where I'd send it.

On 3/24/2020 at 10:21 AM, overherebc said:

Edit.

Sun light does affect the virus to some extent. UVc rays kill viruses this is why you have UV machines in hospitals. 

I dont mean UV both to get a sun tan. UV lights are dangerous and everybody has to leave the room

supergermstru-d.jpg

Edited by bodymassagemyfriend