What's the score with swimming pool closures and Government Carona Virus recommendations

JohnBetong

The condo swimming pool closed yesterday and the office staff said that they are following Government recommendations.

I am most upset because I will miss the early morning swim especially when I have the pool to myself. I am also most surprised because swimming in a chlorine treated pool seems to be far more effective against virus transmission than washing hands or wearing a mask.

Does anyone know if there is an actual government ruling and if so I would be grateful for a link to the article.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, JohnBetong said:

Does anyone know if there is an actual government ruling and if so I would be grateful for a link to the article.

Why?  Are you going to demand that the pool is opened just for you if there's no ruling or link?

"I am also most surprised because swimming in a chlorine treated pool seems to be far more effective against virus transmission than washing hands or wearing a mask".

You may be "most surprised" also that a chlorinated pool does not stop you, or others, breathing, coughing or sneezing the virus in the direction of other pool users.  Unless you're swimming in a mask, of course!

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 2

Our pool is also closed from today until at least 31st march (I never have seen more than 3 ppl in the pool at the same time :D). Ppl say there will be a lockdown this night (?), this is just one more step for quarantine everyone. 

Appreciate it, you will thank them in a couple of weeks/months that you will maybe stay healthy

Edited by Buuge
  • Like 1

Yeah, see the gym thread:

"brewsterbudgen     8,609

brewsterbudgen

All gyms, and more surprisingly swimming pools, are being closed."

From what I can gather on the net gyms are considered ideal breeding grounds, swimming pools not so much; in fact until recently at any rate, swimming was considered OK in the UK, with the usual recommended precautions (washing hands, etc.). I guess that might have changed by now. The received opinion seems to be the virus cannot survive to an infectious level in chlorinated water. But, of course, the mere fact people are potentially congregating together in numbers and relatively close proximity, is going to be sufficient justification for a ban.

Anyway, seems like that puts paid to my weekly foray to the local public pool, which is the reason I'm following this thread. Looks like I'll be putting in some extra calisthenics at home instead. 

• Thanks 2

Their is no official notice from the Government to close pools or gyms as our Condo committee has decided at this time keep our pool open. As someone mention in a previous post, I also would think that the pool chemicals would kill any virus.

• Confused 1

Disinfection for Swimming Pools

There is some good information on disinfection as it relates to coronavirus (see this web link - https://www.uptodate.com/contents/coronaviruses#H13). The disinfection times and log reduction of coronavirus is applied to hard surfaces that one might find in a hospital setting, so you can’t draw a clear distinction straight to a pool. As it turns out, the coronavirus can be quite viable outside of the human body and resistant to disinfection[1], but it does require that the virus be in lower temperature and higher humidity environment. Once desiccated (no water surrounding it), it loses its virulence. What this means for pools is not so clear but it’s not unreasonable to assume that pool water does not make a good environment for this virus to be in. Pool water with adequate levels of chlorine and exposure to UV light from the sun is going to have a very high redox potential which will help to neutralize pathogens quickly. There is far more risk of contracting the coronavirus through direct person-to-person transmission (sneezing or spitting water in people’s faces) or from sharing hard surfaces that may have been in contact with an infected individual.[2]

https://www.troublefreepool.com/wiki/index.php?title=Swimming_Pools_and_COVID-19_Coronavirus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, setbkk said:

Can the COVID-19 virus spread through pools and hot tubs?

There is no evidence that COVID-19 can be spread to humans through the use of pools and hot tubs. Proper operation, maintenance, and disinfection (e.g., with chlorine and bromine) of pools and hot tubs should remove or inactivate the virus that causes COVID-19.

Source:  U.S. Center for Disease Control, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), Division of Viral Diseases dated March 10, 2020.

Our condo pool closed today.  I posted this sign in English and Thai, and then went swimming.  Typical knee jerk reaction with no scientific basis.

I guess some would be concerned about the ladders or metal hand rails entering or exiting. Most pools have no diving rules. There is also the bathroom surfaces that an infected person could touch. Most pools have a bathroom nearby. There may also be a buzzer to get in or out of pool area. There are other surfaces around the pool as well. I’m not big at all on pool closures FYI. I can just sometime put myself in others shoes. Your note that you wrote has fingerprints over it as well. A camera most likely saw you put letter up and for some strange reason I bet you are known to the building management as well. This wil all pass but you probably made a mistake in retrospect. You May also be a stubborn old man as well. Just chill out and stick your head in a cold shower. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...