Phuket Immigration extends permits to stay for foreigners stuck in Thailand

21 hours ago, allencraig said:

What's interesting is that just yesterday the US embassy replied to my inquiry about this letter and was rebuffed and told:

"On March 18, 2020, the Royal Thai Government's (RTG) Bureau of Immigration issued a directive which authorizes immigration officials to approve extensions of stay not exceeding 30 days for certain foreign nationals, including U.S. citizens. The extension of stay, granted at the discretion of the immigration officer, may be granted if the applicant is deemed a person affected by the COVID-19 crisis. The U.S Embassy has formally requested that flexibility be shown by Royal Thai immigration officers to U.S. citizens in Thailand who are affected by travel restrictions. "

So do you think when Americans go to CW we will be treated with lenience and compassion as a group?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are u people ever happy with anything here? I don't know why the Thais put up with us to be honest and I certainly don't know why most of you miserable negative lot live here

So, your embassy is open and ready to provide the letter required for this extension? And Lt. Col. Udom states "doing so right now risks infection", but sending people into their embassies for this le

The insanity! Amazing Thailand.     

4 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

So do you think when Americans go to CW we will be treated with lenience and compassion as a group?

That's what the person from the embassy tells me. They supposedly have an official agreement with the government that allows immigration officers to give extensions—but it's up to each officers' discretion. That's the part that makes me nervous. But there's really no choice. We're not getting letters.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, allencraig said:

That's what the person from the embassy tells me. They supposedly have an official agreement with the government that allows immigration officers to give extensions—but it's up to each officers' discretion. That's the part that makes me nervous. But there's really no choice. We're not getting letters.

I sure hope so. I am going to CW on Tuesday.

You would think with no Tourists coming here they would want you to stay and help support the economy by spending money , staying in hotels that are now empty. But then again this is Thai Way of thinking, make more money on overstay fines. 

• Like 1
On 3/20/2020 at 12:02 PM, stevenl said:

It would be even better if immigration issued a directive on how to handle this, in stead of letting local offices doing their own thing.

Glad to see my wish fulfilled,

• Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, bangkokboy888 said:

I will go to chang Wattana on Monday and report back what they tell me. 

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC: Has this successfully worked for anyone? Can anyone share their successful experience? 

Yes thank you. I will go Tuesday, and will also report. I think it will be crazy when you go there.

On 3/22/2020 at 8:02 AM, vermin on arrival said:

Yes thank you. I will go Tuesday, and will also report. I think it will be crazy when you go there.

If you are a US national, be sure to bring along the embassy letter. I see that are issuing now:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1155116-immigration-is-allowing-30-day-extensions-of-entries-memorandum-dated-1803/?do=findComment&comment=15196136

2 hours ago, Maestro said:

If you are a US national, be sure to bring along the embassy letter. I see that are issuing now:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1155116-immigration-is-allowing-30-day-extensions-of-entries-memorandum-dated-1803/?do=findComment&comment=15196136

That's not a letter provide to US citizens. It's an announcement letter intended for Thai officials. I was told directly via email that the embassy is not giving letters to US citizens to extend their visa because of the pandemic. (Even if they did, they aren't taking any appointments now anyway.)