Phuket Immigration extends permits to stay for foreigners stuck in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, Canuck1966 said:

IDC will be rammed when immigration prints off their daily reports and sees loads of low hanging fruit to bump up their figures.

There will be photo ops galore and high fives

It will be really nice in IDC when somebody who gets chucked in is infected

Why would somebody come to IDC? Keep to the facts. Immigration is offering a solution. The only thing that is needed is a requested paper. Easy as 1-2-3. Why be stupid and refuse, and get thrown in the IDC? Are there that many people that get exited of high risks, a terrible life and self-inflicted pain in this country?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Woolsgibb60 said:

Exstension how much 1900 baht I expect so they will not let 1900 baht slip  through there fingers got to get the millions back what they are losing 

Why would it be free? Since when is an extension from Immigration free? It would not have been free to cross the border and for the travelling needed either.

57 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Most of our Embassy will not issue the letter and for those that do, its a trip to BKK which puts people at risk of contracting and spreading the virus .

It´s a simple and easy letter with a simple request. Almost same as the letter following a new passport to move over the stamps. If your embassy will not issue such a letter, then it´s not Thai Immigration screwing you over. It´s your own embassy, som no need to complain ones the one that tries to help you.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, Tingtong2mut said:

Are u people ever happy with anything here? I don't know why the Thais put up with us to be honest and I certainly don't know why most of you miserable negative lot live here

Do you honestly believe Embassies knew anything about the nonsence this Pratt has saddled them with?

However, any foreigners seeking to extend their stay must have letter from the embassy or consulate of their home country, he stressed.

“The letter must be from the embassy or consulate requesting that the Royal Thai Police Immigration Bureau allow the foreigner to stay in the country longer. It must name the foreigner and it must have the sentence that the foreigner is unable to travel due to the COVID-19 coronvirus situation,” Lt Col Udom said.

"It must be an actual letter, to be hand over with a copy of their passport at the Phuket Immigration Office during office hours,” he said.

How busy do you think they are at the moment?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Timbob said:

Nonsense. Such a letter should not be "necessary" in these uncertain times. That's the point people are making. Visas should be automatically extended until this is over, with no visits to immigration required - since social distancing is important. If the 1,900 baht is important then make us pay on exit at the airport. It's just common sense.  

Your opinion, Sir. It´s exactly like stating that 800k or 65k per month "should" not be necessary for an extension based on retirement. Immigration deems this is necessary for the help given. Then it´s just to stop complain and do what´s necessary for your extension.

A country can not have people staying without valid visas in their passports. If they do that, they will lose all control that is in the hands of Immigration. Social distancing is important, but when so many can accept foreigner sitting in groups drinking in bars that should be closed. Hell Yeah, then this visit to Immigration can not be a problem either.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

25 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

You're missing the point.. Most Embassies do not, i repeat do NOT issue such letters 

Complain to your embassy then. It´s such a simple letter. Then it´s not Thai Immigration screwing you. It´s your own embassy and your own country. Don´t forget to thank them!

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, sambum said:

But why should Immigration require a letter from the applicant's Embassy or Consulate when it is OBVIOUS that the applicant is here under the auspices of a legal visa anyway? And in many cases the Embassy or Consulate will/can not provide one anyway! So once again Immigration overcomplicating the issue.

No your embassies is complicating the life for you. Immigration is trying to help you and solve your problem. I just called my embassy, and they would have no problem whatsoever to issue a letter like that. Not that I need it, but it´s the facts that counts, right?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

38 minutes ago, taxin said:

Troll post, should be removed by admin..

Do you know the difference between a troll post and an honest opinion is? You are just calling for that, because you do not have anything to argue against the cold hard facts in my post.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, evadgib said:

This sounds far fetched. How will punters pay for the service & how will they get round immigration's usual insistence on an embossed stamp? 

When embassies get wind of this they'll tell imm in no uncertain terms to sling their hook.

Might be true. We will just have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, justin case said:

would have been to easy to just extend

pretty sure not every embassy will bother to give this service in times of stress / high demand, my embassy is closed off, only appointment now

An appointment at the US embassy might be a week or more 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tingtong2mut said:

Are u people ever happy with anything here? I don't know why the Thais put up with us to be honest and I certainly don't know why most of you miserable negative lot live here

Ask yourself: How come all of the whiners shows up on TV? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I was going to say unbelievable... but I've been here too long and have learned better.

I'm seriously thinking that when all this is over it's time to find pastures new!

No one will miss you and the rest of the whiners. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, sambum said:

Bullpoo! I am not singing the praises of my Embassy by any means - the point I am making is that such a letter should not even be needed - like lots of the piles of paperwork generated by Immigration. 

Your opinion about the letter is same mature as the first word in your post, Sir.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Complain to your embassy then. It´s such a simple letter. Then it´s not Thai Immigration screwing you. It´s your own embassy and your own country. Don´t forget to thank them!

No one is complaining about Thai immigration and our Embassys not issuing letters though 

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I was going to say unbelievable... but I've been here too long and have learned better.

I'm seriously thinking that when all this is over it's time to find pastures new!

Thank you for your service. Good Luck on your future venture. ???? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I agree, it's a positive news.

Would be better without consulate letter if those consulates do not issue letters by e-mail, but it can change. It may be a legal think for immigration (existing laws).

Extension, relax on overstay... why some here are yelling and critisizing exactly i do not know (and i am French ????)

Good call from Immigration.

• Like 2