Thailand reports 50 new coronavirus infections for total of 322

webfact

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

Of course. No Thai would ever infect another Thai.

I cannot even begin to describe how disgusting I find this official xenophobic finger-pointing at "foreigners". 

How is it xenophobic when many countries are identifying new infection in recent or new foreign arrivals?

If anything it reinforces the logical step to  deny entry to at least that percentage of potential carriers. Many countries  have. " Citizens" entry only implies no "foreigners" . Is  that covertly xenophobic?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Saltire said:

Like all of you I am reading dozens of these sort of posts daily, and it occurred to me I see no mention of the situation in Russia.

Have I missed something? They are large, close to China and frequent visitors here.

Maybe it's just information overload now.

Africa too, havent heard anything. Should be the largest hotspot there! Heck the entire continent will be a hotspot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Foreigners on this board are thin skinned, the reason for finger point at foreigners is not xenofobia. It is a way to not having to declare stage 3. Stage 3 most infections are from local to local. So as long as they can point enough fingers at foreigners then they dont have to go to stage 3

41 Thai to Thai transmissions and 9 potential foreign cases, they are not doing a good job at pointing then.

Just now, Tingnongnoi said:

41 Thai to Thai transmissions and 9 potential foreign cases, they are not doing a good job at pointing then.

No they are doing not.. but this way still it keeps infections Thai on Thai lower. They really dont want to go stage 3. 

3 minutes ago, Tingnongnoi said:

When they say "foreign" cases, that doesn't automatically mean cases involving foreigners. More often, it means Thais having returned from foreign (international) travel.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Hard to make that claim when the vast majority of overall confirmed CV cases here have been Thai, and the vast majority of all the new cases popping up daily are Thai...

However, if you go back to the very beginning, as best as I recall, the early early cases (the seeds) were mostly Chinese nationals and Thais returning from overseas travel to China, Japan and similar.  Farangs were hardly even in the picture in the early going.

Yes it gets harder and harder to make that claim. But every little distraction helps them.

2 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Russia was one of the first to ban entry for all travellers from China and they started testing all arrivals very early. They have been in lockdown longer than most.

Maybe that explains the still large amount of Russians at Jomtien beach this morning they  cant go home ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

Of course. No Thai would ever infect another Thai.

I cannot even begin to describe how disgusting I find this official xenophobic finger-pointing at "foreigners". 

I doubt that the Chinese like Trump calling it the Chinese virus either. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Your wording makes the point that some of us are trying to make. You say "recent or new" but I'm not seeing that distinction. When news stories online or in Thai news mention "contact with foreigners" it is without this distinction. It makes the general point that foreigners are a special contaminating factor, not only recently arrived foreigners. I've been here for weeks and have no symptoms. I'm not sick as far as I know and, if I am, I didn't bring it in but got it here. But, if one of my neighbors gets sick, you could say that they are someone who has had regular contact with a foreigner. See the difference?

People here are losing it over announcement of new cases announced today! How can you not see that distinction?

• Thanks 1

The wife and I were just talking about the subject matter as I read through.  Prayut got all the hate from her and I had to explain to her he is just a mouthpiece for other powerful people.....but it's hard to sway her!  I explained if Prayut had an unfortunate accident he would be replaced by Prawit or another stooge in short order.  I told her who was really in charge...and she gets it!   A win for making sense in Grumpyville! 

Edited by Grumpy John
Smelling
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Your wording makes the point that some of us are trying to make. You say "recent or new" but I'm not seeing that distinction. When news stories online or in Thai news mention "contact with foreigners" it is without this distinction. It makes the general point that foreigners are a special contaminating factor, not only recently arrived foreigners. I've been here for weeks and have no symptoms. I'm not sick as far as I know and, if I am, I didn't bring it in but got it here. But, if one of my neighbors gets sick, you could say that they are someone who has had regular contact with a foreigner. See the difference?

Ok, yes, point taken. But unfortunately when public perception is driven by media extracting news worthiness from simple official numbers there is  not a lot can  be done unfortunately.

Interestingly..  yesterday I went  to a  shopping mall. I  made two trips in. First time in I wore a mask. I have noticed that when people are wearing a mask they are more likely to  be observed by others a little longer and more closely than those that do not. As I observed to myself. I noted that people gave me a wider berth than usual. On my second  trip in  because I had forgotten an item I neglected to wear the mask. Strangely I got the more usual very cursory glance but most did not avoid proximity. The percentage of  people (customers)  wearing  masks appeared to be less than  50%.

I am still pondering the rationale in that  human behaviour.

50 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

Thailand is doing the same as India and eventually it will come back to bite them

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-51922204

Preferable to the frenzied testing fiasco in Italy, and the resultant crackdown on civil liberties unrivalled since the reign of Il Duce.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

That says everything about LOS. According to them every current infected case is still in a hospital. In Europe 80-90% who are tested positive don`t even go to the hospital. With no or light symptoms no hospital would take them. So multiply that 322 X at least 10 and you have the real numbers.

LOS will end in a disaster, as Thai people think they have to go immediately to the hospital and stay there when tested positive. I blame the local news that they don`t inform the Thai people properly. The hospital beds will soon be full and Thai people won`t understand that. Typical case of misinforming a whole country.

14 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

In both China and Italy, and soon many other countries

This is your opinion.  No evidence that Thailand will get outbreaks as China and Italy did/have

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MikeyScars said:

We knew this inevitable event was going to blow up, and the narrative is that foreigners are responsible and not the Chinese.

Next thing we need to worry about is the possibility of petty crimes initiated towards foreigners because of so many lost jobs.  

People will dismiss what you wrote, but you're right. For a population who have lost work and don't have any cash in their pockets, that means they're going to look for the nearest Walking ATM. 

2 minutes ago, Virt said:

Would it be unthinkable that our passports in the future would contain an official stamp, that showed we had been infected with Corona, but recovered so now couldn't infect others? 

Certainly not, because there is evidence that you can get infected more than once