Thailand reports 50 new coronavirus infections for total of 322

webfact

Posts containing unattributed content have been removed, please include a valid link to the source of information when posting:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Some other off topic posts, troll posts and the replies have been removed. 

3 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Of course. No Thai would ever infect another Thai.

I cannot even begin to describe how disgusting I find this official xenophobic finger-pointing at "foreigners". 

I recall when AIDS started to be an issue that the talk was the same and government ministers were mooting ideas for compulsory HIV negative certificates for foreigners to enter the country. Then out of the blue one of the gulf states banned Thai workers completely due to the high prevalence of HIV in the Kingdom.  It suddenly struck home that it had become a Thai problem and we heard very more about the idea for the HIV negative certificates for foreigners.

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

This is your opinion.  No evidence that Thailand will get outbreaks as China and Italy did/have

There is evidence that Thailand will get outbreaks as every other country. The evidence are the other countries!

There is unfortunately no evidence it won't happen. Don't get me wrong  I wish there was, but all the evidence points to an upcoming problem in Thailand. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

It does seem like the time to isolate now. And you would think that 50 -60 new cases in one day would raise the flag to phase 3.

I was isolating myself in Thailand from around mid January, before I left for home in February for the first time in a decade 

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

With 50-60 new confirmed "official" cases daily, you can darned well bet that they're not going to end up catching up with and identifying each and every one of the various other people that those 50 to 60 a day had come into contact with....before getting sick enough to seek treatment.

Exactly, possibly one or two carriers at the boxing stadium  have infected many. Those who contracted it mixing in the stadium went on to other locations, bars, pubs, restaurants and eventually back home.

Then infected even more people who then in turn have gone on to spread it further. 

If there was ever a need to close down as many places as possible this is the proof!

Testing is still limited to select hospitals. COV-19 has been here a long time and has infected many more than anyone realizes. Once a faster, cheaper test arrives we will realize how many actually have it and the numbers game will start to look a lot different. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

With 50-60 new confirmed "official" cases daily, you can darned well bet that they're not going to end up catching up with and identifying each and every one of the various other people that those 50 to 60 a day had come into contact with....before getting sick enough to seek treatment.

THis week 50, next week 200, and the following week it will overwhelm the health system. The only solution is complete travel ban (and lock down except essential services) as India has done and now they are seeing number trickling instead of exploding. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

I cannot even begin to describe how disgusting I find this official xenophobic finger-pointing at "foreigners". 

Your right about the finger pointing , but don't forget about the asians being attacked in UK and other places in europe , so the finger pointing is going on everywhere . Im more worried about government people finger pointing like ANUTIN . the normal people fingerpointing are to dumb to wipe their own ass ,but people in government jobs fingerpointing are just dangerous because the people to dumb to wipe their own <deleted> intend to believe such kwaks .

Edited by Nanaplaza666
Wasnt done yet
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eibot said:

There is evidence that Thailand will get outbreaks as every other country. The evidence are the other countries!

There is unfortunately no evidence it won't happen. Don't get me wrong  I wish there was, but all the evidence points to an upcoming problem in Thailand. 

The fear mongers on here have been saying this since early February. 6 weeks later and no outbreak.  The outbreak has stopped in China...why would it start now in Thailand?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

And if that ever happens, it must be the dirty Isaanites. And should it happen in Bangkok, it can't be anything but the pureblood Thais. People having the noble CCP Sino gene are of course immune.

Good old sakdina - China style.

Studies in Italy and Iceland suggest that 50% of infected people show no symptoms whatsoever. These people are carriers without even knowing it. The only way to stop the spread is total lock-down like they did in China or testing everyone including all people without symptoms.

I think it reads those Thais returning from overseas areas of infection

1 minute ago, AlQaholic said:

Studies in Italy and Iceland suggest that 50% of infected people show no symptoms whatsoever. These people are carriers without even knowing it. The only way to stop the spread is total lock-down like they did in China or testing everyone including all people without symptoms.

And of those infected, if over 70 years old maybe 2% will end up needing a ventilator and a hospital bed. Again, comparing Thailand to Italy is simply fear mongering at this point

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Watch for the day when nos. double. It will go faster by the day if nothing gets done. I'm sitting in a locked down country, part of it is under quarantine, rest has movement restrictions. 

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

A comment that could equally be aimed, very squarely, at a large proportion of TVF members.

What's that got to do with price of eggs .. The article is about the increase in numbers within Thailand in which there is what could be considered by many as a dig at foreigners .. And alongside some of the other disparaging comments  that have come from various members of the Gov' that is not an unreasonable conclusion to arrive at .. But as you've chosen to include the TV membership I have no doubt that the erudite sages of the forum of which there are many will have more experience and wisdom on this than the combined efforts of WHO , NASA , CAAT , 7/11 , TiT , TaT and a cat on the mat .. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

But of course its foreigners - the disease came from China and the Chinese are foreigners. Its not an indigenous Thai illness.

Every time they are mentioning "in contact with foreigners". Of course they were in contact with foreigners when they left the country! It is as if every other country would blame the foreigners of beeing the cause getting I'll. They NEVER do it. The health department is just looking for someone to blame for. 

26 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

And of those infected, if over 70 years old maybe 2% will end up needing a ventilator and a hospital bed. Again, comparing Thailand to Italy is simply fear mongering at this point

Well let's do some math ..

https://www.indexmundi.com/thailand/demographics_profile.html

Ok so I'll have to take over 65 from 2018. 

65 years and over: 10.97% (male 3,289,576 /female 4,239,992) (2018 est.)

Let's say a moderate 60% will get it ..

(3,289,576+4,239,992) * 0.60 = ‭4,517,740.8‬. Take 4.5M, easier. And let's take your 2%, good as any. That's 90,000 in ventilators and hospital beds.

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/getmedia/587ccdaa-91a8-4305-a86f-30ea43558f0b/IO_Private_Hospital_190624_EN_EX.aspx

However, although state hospitals may be found across the country, their ability to serve patients is limited in some locations, as can be seen from the following: (i) The bed occupancy rate3/ is high and in some areas is close to or over 100%

In addition to perpetually full government hospitals, there are about 40k private beds, taken from that report. Not to mention how many ventilators are available.

So, triage it is and throwing others out. Up to you if that scares you or not. I personally will do my best to try to not end up on one of those beds. 

Social distancing, folks.

Edited by DrTuner

4 hours ago, Tingnongnoi said:

They are reporting on where the cases are coming from, how is that finger pointing? Far more are cases from other Thais. Should they just lie if any cases are a result of contact with foreigners to protect your feelings? You state no Thai would infect another Thai but the report stated 51 have! 

Why does it matter where the infected people are from? Why even mention it? If they have the virus they have the virus. That's it. End of.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Susco said:

Certainly not, because there is evidence that you can get infected more than once

Looks like someone else all ready thought of something similar than to a stamp in passport.

This one just documents if you have been tested negative though.

Edited by Virt

4 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

It does seem like the time to isolate now. And you would think that 50 -60 new cases in one day would raise the flag to phase 3.

50-60 out of a population of close to 69 million. Total cases 322 out of a population of close to 69 million. I fancy my chances of not catching it. How about you?

Often witnessed they don’t like washing their hands after their toilet visits. When seen washing their ???? contaminated and yellow splashed hands, most of those do not use soap, and the only a very small % do use soap also to do hand cleansing correctly. 

Wonder if they’re still only using one spoon that everyone shares ????

• Like 1

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/thailand-covid-19-updates-country-will-pay-a-huge-price-if-it-fails-to-impose-full-lock-downs-fast-with-help-from-the-army

Thailand Covid-19 Updates: Country Will Pay A Huge Price If It Fails To Impose Full Lock Downs Fast With Help From The Army

Thailand Covid-19 Updates: Director-general of the Department of Disease Control, Dr Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoen, announced today (19th March) that there are 60 new confirmed cases of Covid-19 infection, of which 43 were linked to boxing stadiums, entertainment venues, and religious ceremonies.

Should Thailand fail to close the country in time, the spread would be extremely rampant considering that Thais are generally irresponsible and lack self-discipline and do not know how to impose self-isolation or even social distancing.

Edited by anchadian

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/only-collective-action-will-prevent-a-lockdown-anutin/

Only collective action will prevent a lockdown — Anutin

Speaking in an interview with ThaiPBS World, Anutin said Thailand might not need to go into lockdown like several other countries if members of the public and all agencies concerned work in concert to stem the spread of the deadly virus.

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/only-collective-action-will-prevent-a-lockdown-anutin/

Only collective action will prevent a lockdown — Anutin

Speaking in an interview with ThaiPBS World, Anutin said Thailand might not need to go into lockdown like several other countries if members of the public and all agencies concerned work in concert to stem the spread of the deadly virus.

100% sure lockdown then.

• Haha 1