Chiang Mai air quality 'worst in the world'

webfact

This must be a horrific combination with Covid19.  It will also help accelerate the spread as smoking and pollution both enhance ACE2 expression on the lungs, the site the virus uses to bind to.  Stupid and avoidable.  Death knell for tourism as well.

On 3/20/2020 at 7:23 PM, Antonymous said:

Which 'people' do you mean?

The Thai Government is very evidently not concerned enough about (most of) the nation's poor air quality to do anything about it. The causes within Thailand are obvious. And there is no will to tackle the issue from a regional perspective either.

If by 'people' you mean expats, it seems that many are more concerned with scoring cheap points about those choosing to live in Chiang Mai, than about the larger issue. Some are simply not aware that air pollution affects pretty much the whole of the north and north-east regions of Thailand and extends further south somewhat too.

In all of 2019 for example Chiang Mai had an average 32.3 PM2.5 and was rated unhealthy or unhealthy for certain groups in three months. Lampang, which you mention, had an avg 33.1 (worse than Chiang Mai) and bad for five months.

Korat, the worst, at 42.2 avg and bad for four months.

Khon Kaen 36.4 avg and bad for five months.

Sukhothai 34.6 avg and bad for five months.

Ratchaburi 29.5 avg and bad for three months.

Chonburi 19.5 and bad for two months.

We should all rally together to condemn the Thai authorities, not each other.

967779415_CMAirQualityHistory.jpg.30aa1311ef34e8a8c19e4f83eb615094.jpg

"In all of 2019 for example Chiang Mai had an average 32.3 PM2.5 and was rated unhealthy or unhealthy for certain groups in three months."

CM had days rated "unhealthy for certain groups" during 10 months.

Days rated "unhealthy" or worse during 5 months.

"In all of 2019 for example Chiang Mai had an average 32.3 PM2.5...".

The USA's EPA has stated that the short-term standard (24-hour or daily average) for PM 2.5 is 35 micrograms per cubic meter of air (µg/m3) and the long-term standard (annual average) is 12 µg/m3.

So using your stat, CM is almost 3 times the EPA's annual standard.

Edited by JimmyJ

13 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

"In all of 2019 for example Chiang Mai had an average 32.3 PM2.5 and was rated unhealthy or unhealthy for certain groups in three months."

CM had days rated "unhealthy for certain groups" during 10 months.

Days rated "unhealthy" or worse during 5 months.

"In all of 2019 for example Chiang Mai had an average 32.3 PM2.5...".

The USA's EPA has stated that the short-term standard (24-hour or daily average) for PM 2.5 is 35 micrograms per cubic meter of air (µg/m3) and the long-term standard (annual average) is 12 µg/m3.

So using your stat, CM is almost 3 times the EPA's annual standard.

We are talking about monthly averages, not random days Jimmy. The whole of the north and north-east of Thailand is a multiple of the EPA standard, and some cities that are recorded in the stats in Thailand are significantly worse than Chiang Mai, such as Korat and Khon Kaen.

Not enough people are aware of this fact and prefer to single out Chiang Mai just because it hits the #1 spot on certain days.

Also many are not aware that high PM2.5 levels published on a certain day in sensationalist headlines often refer to the highest point of that day. I've lived in Chiang Mai for 30 years and know very well how the pollution pattern works. Typically during three months of the year, the PM2.5 is high early mornings and then dissipates through the day. So for example 150 at 7am, 75 at noon and 35 by mid afternoon. For those of us who are prepared, it becomes an inconvenience, not a health hazard and we can enjoy life to the full. That said, I am appalled by the lack of action by the Thai and regional authorities to tackle the problem.

For accurate analysis of any city go to the link provided earlier in this thread which is where all the data that I have quoted comes from. I'm not making this stuff up.

See below. Chiang Mai three months NOT 10.

image.png.8eeaafdabdb4bf1ce060fd147383f5c2.png

For comparison, Khon Kaen five months

image.png.49bc3290b9a45d53d3b61216bea029d2.png

Edited by Antonymous

Forget about CV-19, the Govt. should be more concerned about the poisonous air people in Chiang Mai are having to breathe on a daily basis. Shoot the arsonists, make an example of them. I would hate to be a patient in Samoeng hospital if suffering from pneumonia, the air inside the hospital today would be enough to send you over the edge.

image.png.72d0e5dc1fd66a2108739b3ec29b5fa6.png

Sad numbers.

I have some questions for you, and please don't take this the wrong way, it's not meant as criticism, rather as inspiration.

Do you have the chance to do something about this in any way, and do you take advantage of the opportunity? Examples of this could be:

- Contacting the authorities asking them what they are doing to improve the situation currently and what they are planning on doing to improve the situation in the future

- Contacting the people who are causing this asking them what they are doing to improve the situation currently and what they are planning on doing to improve the situation in the future

- Discussing the issue with locals

- Discussing the issue online on other platforms

- Travelling less, choosing environmentally friendly means of transportation

- Installing solar panels if you have the chance, getting renewable energy guarantees from your electricity provider

- Consuming less, choosing environmentally friendly products

Etc.

I hope and think if enough people do this the situation will improve.

Edited by Hansi80

Really irked with all the focus on CV-19. More people are killed monthly on the roads than will be killed by CV-19. The people in the North/North East are collateral damage as far as the Govt. is concerned. People are suffering daily with horrendous air pollution which is doing more long term health damage than the virus for the benefit of monopoly farmers and mushroom harvests... https://aqicn.org/forecast/chiangmai/

image.png.74ca0d2007459c910fc1c6f7f4042837.png

Edited by Forza2002

On 3/20/2020 at 4:15 AM, TheFishman1 said:

The air was so bad this morning in Chiangmai I could barely see why doesn’t the government start doing something this is ridiculous it’s unhealthy it’s unsafe TIT

Why don’t you do something???

perhaps move???

23 minutes ago, Forza2002 said:

Really irked with all the focus on CV-19. More people are killed monthly on the roads than will be killed by CV-19. The people in the North/North East are collateral damage as far as the Govt. is concerned. People are suffering daily with horrendous air pollution which is doing more long term health damage than the virus for the benefit of monopoly farmers and mushroom harvests... https://aqicn.org/forecast/chiangmai/

image.png.74ca0d2007459c910fc1c6f7f4042837.png

because its  all  lip service hence the  wear a mask + looks  good  like you are doing something when in fact doing nothing,  look at  all the govt  officials bedecked with shiny medals,  looks  good  right, must be good  people etc etc

1 hour ago, Hansi80 said:

I hope and think if enough people do this the situation will improve.

Many Thais dont give a flying fart......me  first, if  you havent realised that  by now .......well

I was asked 4  months ago by head of  village do  not  burn your crop you  will be fined............today just 500 metres from me....no fine nothing, then again theyre Thai  I  aint

20200330_174913.jpg

47 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Many Thais dont give a flying fart......me  first, if  you havent realised that  by now .......well

I was asked 4  months ago by head of  village do  not  burn your crop you  will be fined............today just 500 metres from me....no fine nothing, then again theyre Thai  I  aint

20200330_174913.jpg

Most people put themselves first, don't they? 

Have you tried either talking to them or reporting them to the authorities?