Cambodia visa on arrival cancelled

Airasia, i was supposed to fly CNX - DMK - PNH

I checked in online, went to the gate and waited for the flight (this all happened at CNX, i didn't make it to DMK).

They called my name, asked me to contact the counter.

I went to the counter at the gate and was directed downstairs to the checkin counter.

There i was asked if i have any visa for Cambodia, told him i don't have one, he told me he can't let me board.

I did of course appeal this, explained that i know they have a rule to not allow people to Europe in (i have a German passport), but i haven't been in Europe quite a while, so i should be good to go.

He said he will check it again, made pictures of my passport (data page and my latest Thai stamps) and sent them to somebody in Line (they wrote in English, he said this is Cambodia immigration). Then he made two phone calles, asked if he can let me board or not. The person on the phone, as well as the person in Line told him that he can't let me board because i won't get a visa on arrival and will be denied.

I did check the IATA page while i was standing there and showed it to him, but he told me that Cambodian immigration told him that they won't let me in, so he can't let me board, and that this weighs more than the IATA page.

He said if i had a visa it would be ok, but without a visa no chance.

Edited by jackdd

46 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Strange since it not mentioned on the IATA site or the Cambodia  e-visa site.

What airline were you supposed to be flying on?

I would not rely on IATA anymore! They were ok until a few days ago. But as things are changing so fast, they are not up-to-date anymore or even worse they don`t write down all requirements. They for example just announce general border closures like in Malaysia, but not in detail like in Myanmar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just got in to Cambodia last night on a VOA. Israeli passport. They actually held me up and had some discussions when they realized I have dual passports (US) but eventually let me in. Boarding took 20 minutes as well while they were making phone calls to check if an Israeli passport would be allowed in. It's 100% based on passport country so don't bother if you're from Europe, US, etc.

Later this morning I will try my luck going back to Thailand before the medical certificate requirement kicks in for passengers from Cambodia. Technically they should allow it, but who knows if air crew and immigration officers are aware. Too much chaos with these daily changes. I'm almost tempted to just say <deleted> it and stay in Cambodia until they get their heads out of their asses.

On another note, Thai embassy in Cambodia has on their web page:
"Please note that these requirements do not apply to land border crossings. According to our latest information on 19 March 2020, land border crossings are still possible without requiring medical certificate or travel insurance. However, each land border crossing may change its requirements without prior notice."

Is this true?? or did the rules change since again? ...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jackdd said:

Airasia, i was supposed to fly CNX - DMK - PNH

I checked in online, went to the gate and waited for the flight (this all happened at CNX, i didn't make it to DMK).

They called my name, asked me to contact the counter.

I went to the counter at the gate and was directed downstairs to the checkin counter.

There i was asked if i have any visa for Cambodia, told him i don't have one, he told me he can't let me board.

I did of course appeal this, explained that i know they have a rule to not allow people to Europe in (i have a German passport), but i haven't been in Europe quite a while, so i should be good to go.

He said he will check it again, made pictures of my passport (data page and my latest Thai stamps) and sent them to somebody in Line (they wrote in English, he said this is Cambodia immigration). Then he made two phone calles, asked if he can let me board or not. The person on the phone, as well as the person in Line told him that he can't let me board because i won't get a visa on arrival and will be denied.

I did check the IATA page while i was standing there and showed it to him, but he told me that Cambodian immigration told him that they won't let me in, so he can't let me board, and that this weighs more than the IATA page.

He said if i had a visa it would be ok, but without a visa no chance.

The airline went above and beyond to try to help you. The fact is that they received a "do not board" instruction from Cambodian immigration. To ignore that would leave the airline open to big fines. They tried to appeal on your behalf (which is quite unusual) but the appeal was denied.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Strange since it not mentioned on the IATA site or the Cambodia  e-visa site.

What airline were you supposed to be flying on?

Rules are changing almost everyday in this pandemic especially with all the flip-flops.

I doubt they have time to change the website everyday especially when it involve a foreign language such as English which needs a translator.

Edited by EricTh

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I flew cnx-dmk-rep yesterday (19 March) and got a visa on arrival with AirAsia. 

Things are changing fast! 

Things are changing fast. Either that or it might be because of your nationality.

Immigration really don't have the time to check which countries you have been in the last xx days especially since some home countries don't have stamps on the passport for their citizens if they return via autogates.

Many countries have already exceeded that of South Korea which was designated as 'disease zone'. This includes USA, France. UK is catching up.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Edited by EricTh

18 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The airline went above and beyond to try to help you. The fact is that they received a "do not board" instruction from Cambodian immigration. To ignore that would leave the airline open to big fines. They tried to appeal on your behalf (which is quite unusual) but the appeal was denied.

Not only that.

I read somewhere that the airline would have to be responsible for carrying the people back from where they came. Correct me if I am wrong.

13 hours ago, jackdd said:

Everybody in this pandemic would lie that he hasn't been in China or Europe for quite a while. 

However, do you know that when somebody go back to their home country, there might not be stamps on their passport if they go through automated gates?

So how would immigration know whether someone is lying or not? The only sure and easiest way is to look at your passport's nationality .

Edited by EricTh

29 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Everybody in this pandemic would lie that he hasn't been in China or Europe for quite a while. 

However, do you know that when somebody go back to their home country, there might not be stamps on their passport if they go through automated gates?

So how would immigration know whether someone is lying or not? The only sure and easiest way is to look at your passport's nationality .

But Thailand stamps, there is no way (legally) for me to leave or enter Thailand without getting a stamp

I entered Thailand six weeks ago, so the stamp shows that it's impossible that i was in Europe in the last two weeks.

Unless of course Cambodia immigration doesn't believe Thai stamps.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I just got in to Cambodia last night on a VOA. Israeli passport. They actually held me up and had some discussions when they realized I have dual passports (US) but eventually let me in. Boarding took 20 minutes as well while they were making phone calls to check if an Israeli passport would be allowed in. It's 100% based on passport country so don't bother if you're from Europe, US, etc.

Later this morning I will try my luck going back to Thailand before the medical certificate requirement kicks in for passengers from Cambodia. Technically they should allow it, but who knows if air crew and immigration officers are aware. Too much chaos with these daily changes. I'm almost tempted to just say <deleted> it and stay in Cambodia until they get their heads out of their asses.

On another note, Thai embassy in Cambodia has on their web page:
"Please note that these requirements do not apply to land border crossings. According to our latest information on 19 March 2020, land border crossings are still possible without requiring medical certificate or travel insurance. However, each land border crossing may change its requirements without prior notice."

Is this true?? or did the rules change since again? ...

3d161392b43438f49c939133e07d755b.jpg

54 minutes ago, RloLigor said:

I'm guessing that the OP got denied boarding because of their German passport. Nothing to do with visa on arrival being cancelled or not cancelled.

But he specifically told me that if i had a visa it would be ok.

Maybe another nationality would have gotten the visa on arrival.

The title "visa on arrival cancelled" might not be 100% correct, it could be that this only applies to some nationalities.

2 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

You could have tried the online visa, quick and simple.

I checked this while i was standing there, but the website says 3 days processing time (so nothing i could have done 10 minutes before my flight), and if they deny me at the airport like this i highly doubt that they would issue me such an evisa.

Afaik it's also only possible to get a tourist visa for Cambodia online, this would have allowed a maximum stay of two months. My plan was to apply for an E visa on arrival to stay longer in Cambodia.

So now i'm still in Thailand, waiting if Thai immigration comes up with something helpul, and if not i'm forced to fly to Germany.

• Like 1

Air Asia still flies Bangkok DMK to/from Siem Reap. Tonight's flight (Saturday 21 March) FD619 back to DMK departed as usual at 22.05. It is the last international flight from Siem Reap, all later flights are now cancelled. As to the current situation regarding visas on arrival I have no information but just over one week ago I got a Cambodian Ordinary Visa (on arrival) which cost 35 US$.

No new announcements for Cambodia. Nothing about visas on arrival not being issued.

IATA site.

"CAMBODIA – published 20.03.2020
1. Passengers arriving from France, Germany, Iran, Italy, Spain or USA are not allowed to enter Cambodia.
- This does not apply to nationals and residents of Cambodia.
2. Nationals and residents of Cambodia, diplomats and officials of foreign embassies and international organizations and their family members who have a Diplomatic Visa Type A and Official Visa Type B who live or have been in France, Germany, Iran, Italy, Spain or USA in the past 14 days will be quarantine for 14 days.
- This does not apply to airline crew."

Cambodia is the last known neighboring country that it may be possible to travel to. Most land crossings are closed for all intents and purposes.

Poi Pet and Hat Lek/Koh Kong may be the last southern crossings open.

In the north as of yesterday is the Sa-Ngam crossing in Surin/Sisaket was the only one open as far as I know.

10 hours ago, finy said:

Was this just because you're German and currently on the list of 6 banned countries?

By the wording from IATA quoted by ubonjoe it is NOT keyed to nationalities, just where someone not Cambodian *arrives* from. Should have been more carefully worded, the Thais ask (to my personal knowledge, on the Mukdahan border) what countries someone *had been to* over the last 14 days, makes much more sense.

Hence, supposedly, some officer used his discretion to the effect the OP by dint of being a German national should not be allowed to enter, when he could have decided otherwise based on recent stays. Tough.

• Like 1

Based on the OP's post, it appears to me that they were denied entry because they are from one of the six banned nationalities.  Cambodian VOA may actually be canceled, in fact, but this wouldn't appear to be evidence of that fact.

For the E-type VOA, it's worth noting that many nationalities have to apply for it in advance, and under these circumstances it is also somewhat at the discretion of the border officer whether to give it or not.

Regarding the wording of "passengers arriving from..." Cambodia actually means the holders of passports from those countries are banned.

2 minutes ago, daeumtnaot said:

What does it say?  I can't read Thai.

In short that the borders in Trat district closing down from 22th March.

Hat Lek will only be open for cargo transportation without passengers

8 minutes ago, daeumtnaot said:

What does it say?  I can't read Thai.

His "translation" is very short, but it is basically all the relevant information for us foreigners from the texts which he posted: The Hat Lek crossing in Trat is closed from today.

The texts contain a few more informations, for example that the Nonsi crossing (i think we could never cross there) in Trat is also closed, or that the crossing is not closed for Thai people or for freight traffic, but nothing relevant for us ordinary foreigners here.