BANGKOK
Trujillo

Asinine and unfair closings

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, I have encountered many, based on my opinion, stupid rules. Most of the time, my opinion doesn´t count, though. I do not have the education, manpower or tools to assess the reason or the right or wrong regarding the rules. In that case you just have to trust the people in charge. In this case most will probably not have the education either, but they will have the manpower and the tools, which is 2 out of 3 I don´t have.

Just out of curiosity. Here we are discussing unfair closings. Why do you think and believe it´s stupid? I see it like this. First I put a value on the necessity of and open restaurant compared to and open bar as an example. In my book eating come out on top of drinking alcoholic beverages. To me that means the bars should be closed before the restaurants. On top of that, I also believe that closing unnecessary places where people can gather during a virus outbreak will have a bigger chance of minimizing the damage than leaving it open. Let me hear. Argue against that logic, please. What do you think, and what do you believe?

But But, the banks are getting to stay open! Why not my local girl giving me my weekly rub down!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, RANGER55 said:

But But, the banks are getting to stay open! Why not my local girl giving me my weekly rub down!

You forgot to take her number. They never said, no house calls allowed. :cheesy:

If there is a will, there is always a rub down.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CGW said:

That was my point, why hasn't it?

A static population. Except for the comings and goings of guards, you can view this as quarantine for a very large population. Not exactly like the turnover that takes place at a boxing match.

6 minutes ago, JimGant said:

A static population. Except for the comings and goings of guards, you can view this as quarantine for a very large population. Not exactly like the turnover that takes place at a boxing match.

I can't see it as being a form of quarantine in the majority of local jails in Thailand that have a high turnover, guard movements and atrocious living conditions, wonder if they have banned visitors?

16 hours ago, glennb6 said:

Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

acting on scientific facts as  opposed to fartbook heresay and "beliefs"

5 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Closing massage parlors makes perfect sense, as does closing ALL non-essential businesses. All of them!

An active step that *maybe* will prevent that exponential curve from climbing here in Chiang Mai. And it's the first step in the right direction to limit "social interaction," with outer limits of this action being "do nothing" or full blown quarantine. And why the latter is not a pragmatic option, see the below article:

...moderate social distancing will usually outperform the attempted quarantine, and extensive social distancing usually works best of all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

So, for Chiang Mai, with its low reported rate of infection, the current action against non essential establishments seems to be a practical first step. If this works, then, many businesses, that otherwise would have been told to shut down, will be saved, with all the economic good that entails. If not, and more "extensive social distancing" is required, so be it. As long as its the experts, not the politicians, in the decision loop, that's the best we can ask for.

• Like 1

Another uninformed ridiculous opinion - please ignore him!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, CGW said:

I can't see it as being a form of quarantine in the majority of local jails in Thailand that have a high turnover, guard movements and atrocious living conditions, wonder if they have banned visitors?

Actually, I was thinking of the penitentiarie where visitors communicated via phone, with the convict on the other side of plexiglas..... Anyway, using jails as examples of how, or how not, a virus spreads isn't very constructive.

9 hours ago, anto said:

I think i would prefer to just die .Give the ventilator to somebody who loves this life more than i ever did

Noble, noble! And so easily written ...!

8 minutes ago, JimGant said:

So, for Chiang Mai, with its low reported rate of infection, the current action against non essential establishments seems to be a practical first step.

"low reported rate of infection" do you believe this is anywhere near the actual rate ?

"non essential establishments" if you consider the possible number of exposures in terms of numbers of people interacting in public places, interaction in the malls.stores dwarfs the other venues ... but, people gotta shop. Gyms and massage places: makes sense because of relative intimacy of contact.

if/when there is a massive outbreak here, I would expect nothing short of martial law and militarily controlled food/basics distribution. btw: I don't expect that, but, would not rule that out as mere fantasy given the reality distortion field of Amazing T.

~o:37;

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Anyway, using jails as examples of how, or how not, a virus spreads isn't very constructive.

Really, do share your "constructive" examples? 🙊

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, orang37 said:

"non essential establishments" if you consider the possible number of exposures in terms of numbers of people interacting in public places, interaction in the malls.stores dwarfs the other venues ..

Read the Washington Post article .. what they're doing here is a valid first step. But, yeah, the under reporting is probably flattening the exponential curve. So, just to be safe, close down all malls, supermarkets, restaurants, banks, lottery kiosks, pharmacies, street vendors, broom sales at intersections, etc. Prevent people from leaving their homes. Make emergency first responders sleep at their stations, etc. Can't be too safe -- just too ridiculous.

Edited by JimGant
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CGW said:

Really, do share your "constructive" examples?

Ah, you got me there. Please remind me again why we're interjecting prisons into this discussion?

All I can say is that country's closing borders, stopping entry of foreigners and closing down businesses isn't something these countries have done for giggles. This virus must have the potential to do far more than just kill the infirm or elderly. The real potential is a mutation to a more virilent strain before they can find an effective immunisation medium.

• Haha 1