What (ethical) ideas are people talking about for profiting off the current crisis?

On 4/2/2020 at 8:28 PM, TooBigToFit said:

How about starting a business that offers a special International health certificate to hotels and restaurants that shows they meet certain standards. You could provide a 6-month check, wall certificate, stickers for all the rooms and other facilities as well as online badges for websites and links to a record of your check and certification. Of course this wouldn't work for all hotels and restaurants but it might pan out if done right.

Other than that, I saw a bakery was selling cookies with funny faces with masks on them.????  How about I survived the Plague of 2020 Tshirts? Lots of assets will be up for sale cheap such as hotels, nursing homes, airplanes, tourist-related businesses, motorcycles, etc etc Plus with the world in massive slowdown, people will start selling their stuff if they are out of work. There is also going to be a trend to buy more locally as many govts were caught off guard on supplies for this. That might have value. Opening a temporary employee business might be strong again. Local online teaching via the net could be a new alternative to going to the tutoring schools. Many kids have experienced online learning now. Using delivery and online sales will increase as a lot of people who never tried it, now have and many will like it. Netflix and other entertainment online should do well. 

As this cold season fades, the fear of a return or even worse cold season next year will get people to prep for it. Any useful new ideas for that could do well.

Wow, that's a lot of ideas! I can tell you are a big time optimist and already thinking about the good times ahead.

There will probably be a lot more people working from home after this, as companies realize that work still gets done, even without people coming into the office. Another realm of opportunity.

I’m a fan of “cash is king” at the moment, financial markets have yet to be updated on the full economic damage of this event, and the possibility of a second wave would make things worse. As far as investments I’d focus on those companies that will survive the crisis and thrive when we come out of it. Retail has been trashed and many companies will simply go out of business, the survivors will thrive under less competition, particularly those with a strong (or exclusively) online service. 

But I wouldn’t rush into anything, I think we are in for a long haul. Job losses and business bankruptcies will be devastating.

On 3/21/2020 at 7:26 PM, NCC1701A said:

sorry to say you obviously know nothing about bitcoin.

bitcoin when from $0.0008 to $19,783.

or how it works. how it is designed and what lies in the future. you should look to in. i made $30,000 USD on a very small investment.

our computer scientist at work turned me on to it in 2011. 

if i had bought more i would have potentially made millions of dollars. many did.

right now i am almost all USD and waiting for "blood on the streets" to jump back into something. 

this is the greatest single black swan event in history. but there is way more pain to come.

Tulip bulbs were all the rage in Amsterdam once. I’m not sure that Bitcoin will ever demonstrate any utility, so I’d categorise it as a pure speculation ... money you are comfortable losing.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 7:14 PM, SiSePuede419 said:

this is an incredible time to get into Bitcoin

There's something called a "debit card" that fits into any ATM all around the world that allows you access to your money in the local currency.

Can Bitcoin do that?  Maybe it's just for criminals, not for serious investors. ????

Apart from when Bangkok bank went down for 24hrs.

Not thinking of profiting from the crisis, just happy my family aren't having to sell everything to feed themselves.