The United Kingdom is closed: Johnson shutters pubs and restaurants

rooster59

4 hours ago, bannork said:

The tube 2 days ago.

IMG_20200320_211117.jpg

All those idiots on the train waiting to all get coronavirus from each other then spread it to everyone else. They should've all been at home isolating. It's brainless idiots like these that will be the cause of death to many thousands of humans.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Could be doctors and nurses !! How they supposed to get to their place of work ??

I'm pretty sure doctors & nurses most likely don't take trains. They drive. All the doctors I know of drive their expensive luxury cars to whichever hospital or location they work at.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

That tube pic looks like the queue for getting served at the bar in a whetherspoons pub

Not just Whetherspoons, and a good reason for closing pubs for now, maybe come May when the whether gets better the will allow pub with outside areas to open but only with outside service.

In the mean time I see another problem looming and that is rioting particularly when the whether starts to warm up, there are two more measures I think need addressing, one is a total ban on drinking in public places, and gatherings of more than 10 people. 

15 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

At least a week too late you clueless <deleted>.

Wonder how many more people have been infected due to the delay?

Boris Johnson is predicting a worst case scenario as he wants to come out of this as a hero. ???? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, jonesthepost said:

What about the  and the places of  of pray    

ALL church services have been suspended from today, Tuesday, in the battle to stem the spread of coronavirus.

https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2020/20-march/news/uk/c-of-e-suspends-all-services-though-churches-to-stay-open

I understand that Mosques and other place's of worship are also not holding services. 

Many businesses and organisations have chosen to do the right thing before government intervention. 

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, steve187 said:

people should have stopped travelling, that was the idea behind closing sations and train line routes etc.

And yet.... people were asked to work from home where possible but otherwise go to work as normal.  Although it was always going to end up with these closures I think the government were justified in trying to get people to act responsibly and avoid pubs and restaurants of their own accord.  Unfortunately the people just stuck up a finger and carried on ignoring the advise.

I would say they are now crying in their beer but.... maybe not 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

At least a week too late you clueless <deleted>.

Wonder how many more people have been infected due to the delay?

The government have released numbers which confirm they, or at least their advisors, are running predictive models on the spread and impact of this virus.

They have also provided estimates of the numbers of dead and identified which demographic is most at risk of death from this disease.

With predictions of such large numbers of dead they would be failing in their duty if they have not examined the social, political and economic impacts if such predictions become reality.

Those predictions will include both negative and positive impacts.

Keep this in mind when the PM or Government state they are following the advice of scientists and experts. 

24 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

And yet.... people were asked to work from home where possible but otherwise go to work as normal.  Although it was always going to end up with these closures I think the government were justified in trying to get people to act responsibly and avoid pubs and restaurants of their own accord.  Unfortunately the people just stuck up a finger and carried on ignoring the advise.

I would say they are now crying in their beer but.... maybe not 

It’s not quite that simple is it.

There were and still are very many people who actively sought to play down the risk of this virus, for example referring to it as a ‘mere flu’ and nothing to worry about and/or hoax.

You’ll find examples scattered across news threads here on TVF.

Efforts were made to sow confusing messages and distrust in government advice.

Curiously very many people spreading misinformation were apparently singing off the same song sheet.

People were/are confused because there has been an effort to confuse them.

• Thanks 1

Let's suppose everyone does as they're told and does not go to a pub.

The people will still have to go shopping for food at supermarkets.

Many will still have to go to work. Many will still have to use public transport.

This is not a complete and full isolation of individuals. So why should this work, just by people not going to the pub?

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s not quite that simple is it.

There were and still are very many people who actively sought to play down the risk of this virus, for example referring to it as a ‘mere flu’ and nothing to worry about and/or hoax.

You’ll find examples scattered across news threads here on TVF.

Efforts were made to sow confusing messages and distrust in government advice.

Curiously very many people spreading misinformation were apparently singing off the same song sheet.

People were/are confused because there has been an effort to confuse them.

That is all true.  Let's not forget that Johnson has a history of lying and not being straight with people. Consequently people are suspicious of government statements about anything.  Not knowing what is true or just Boris Bull*hit . But he has stepped up now and should be given credit for doing so.

• Like 2

Well ALL people have to go to supermarkets.

To get food.

Many people will still have to go to work. Many will still use public transport.

So not going to pubs and restaurants will not stop social interaction. 

This is like Germany closing the border. Then waving 80 percent of people through.

Edited by Logosone

6 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

If this was the US, the lame MSM would drum up a headline that read:

TRUMP LATE TO CLOSE PUBS. DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR HUGE RISE

IN INFECTIONS.

Is that this threads first Trump /USA comparison post ?

Four pages, doesnt usually take that long for Trump to get a mention

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

Just been talking to a customer who was working the evening shift in a supermarket last night, after the government announced the closure of pubs, all the cheap beers, ciders, wines and sprites were sold out in minutes.

Some of the things UK supermarkets are selling out of:

• Toilet Rolls
  • Hand Sanitises
  • Bead
  • Four
  • Eggs
  • Sugar
  • Fresh Meat
  • UHT Milk
  • Fresh and Frozen Vegetables
  • Baked Beans
  • Pasta
  • Rice
  • Pet Food
  • Soaps
  • Washing Powders
  • Pot Noodles
  • Soups
  • Breakfast Cereals

Now add Beers, Ciders, Wines and Spirits...

This was a Tesco's sliced bread racks on Wednesday afternoon.

20200318_151052.thumb.jpg.d205f0965bdf8e5314436f0dc01a7dfb.jpg

The supermarkets near me sold out of beer and spirits the moment the people started panic buying and self isolation was mentioned!  Now whenever they re-stock the booze the shelves empty quicker than the ones that sell toilet paper!

• Like 1

The UK and other Western countries are getting closer to martial law to enforce self isolation. Neighbours will rat out neighbours holding parties in their back gardens or any group activities in parks. The prospect of lawlessness, including looting, is being discussed on social media. Rumours abound about military gatherings in readiness for taking to the streets. All frightening.

There is no alternative approach ,at present,to combat this virus than following the advice from Singapore, Hong Kong and Korea.That is fighting the virus tooth and nail by testing and tracing each case of infection.The heard immunization theory that Britain and Holland wanted to follow has underestimated the properties of this virus.The only way the western world can redeem themselves now is if it can come up with some medical invention. I write from Norway were the situation is dire and I worry for relatives in London and in the US.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bbi1 said:

I'm pretty sure doctors & nurses most likely don't take trains. They drive. All the doctors I know of drive their expensive luxury cars to whichever hospital or location they work at.

The word I'm looking for is...<deleted>. Glad I found it - wasn't hard. 

8 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

If this was the US, the lame MSM would drum up a headline that read:

TRUMP LATE TO CLOSE PUBS. DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR HUGE RISE

IN INFECTIONS.

You started it - must be hurting to see the commie Chinese-loving Trump (see earlier threads) getting a roasting. This is a Uk thread and you bring it up unprompted. Astonishing. If I was a thread reporting creep that's what I would have done but I don't do that.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

You started it - must be hurting to see the commie Chinese-loving Trump (see earlier threads) getting a roasting. This is a Uk thread and you bring it up unprompted. Astonishing. If I was a thread reporting creep that's what I would have done but I don't do that.  

Its a relevant observation...stop whinging.