Wuhan Covid Virus - no need to be scared - yet

AussieBob18

Could be worth reading and considering

Coronavirus death toll: 10,000 killed by disease as virus takes hold around world

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-death-toll-10000-killed-by-disease-as-virus-takes-hold-around-world/news-story/fcb90cf2faed01cbc10ff49b338cc338

• Thanks 1

The main part of this is that countries that can ventilate people quickly can save more people. That seems to be the most crucial element to this.

With 25,000 intensive care beds complete with respiratory support, Germany is well equipped compared to its European neighbours. 

By contrast, France only has around 7,000 and Italy around 5,000. 

In Britain, latest NHS figures show that there are just over 4,000 critical care beds across England, while health secretary Matt Hancock said Sunday that the UK has 5,000 available ventilators. 

Ill patients in Germany have thus far been able to recover quickly.

To prevent hospitals from becoming overwhelmed, as they have been in Italy or eastern France, the German government has also said it planned to double intensive respiratory care beds.

The virus has also largely affected a younger, healthier section of the population in Germany compared to elsewhere.

"In Germany, more than 70 percent of the people identified as having been infected until now are between 20 and 50 years old," explained RKI president Lothar Wieler.

• Like 1

The case mortality rate does seem to be about 0.3-1% of the cases, especially when considering many of the *cases may not be accounted for as symptoms are mild and those cases not reported. 

However, your (Op) infection rates are as yet unknown - they could be as high as Spanish flu (27%) or as high as Swine Flu (10-21%) - the outcome is as yet, unknown. All we can do is project based on past pandemics and take measures to limit this one as much as we possibly can. 

The disease burden of seasonal Influenza is between 290,000 and 650,000 deaths per year worldwide:

However, its not yet accurate to be able to compare the impact of an established ‘group’ of Viruses such as seasonal Influenza on a population with immunity and vaccines to the unknown impact of a Virus in its infancy to a population with no immunity and no vaccine as yet.

We don’t know if the Case mortality rate is 0.3% or if its 10% (Italy), I suspect the lower figure for reasons mentioned above*.  The infection rate is the greatest variable at the moment, and one we (as a global community) can have an impact on with social isolation and quarantine measures. 

I doubt the spread of the virus can be prevented. But I believe it can be delayed, medical knowledge can be garnered, vaccines can be created and distributed and medical facilities do not become overwhelmed at once. 

Other stats suggest 6% of cases are critical - which implies the need for hospitalisation and oxygen therapy. Thus the death rate alone is not the only fear. No one wants to come down with debilitating flu like symptoms even if all the need is bed care for two weeks. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Flu kills up to 650,000 people worldwide each year - WHO number not mine - I rounded down to 500K.

650,000 a year equates to 54,166 every month.

Do the maths.

Wait til this takes hold, this grows exponentially.

Italy deaths are 600 per day & growing, that's 20,000 per year with a full quarantine in place

• Thanks 1

Just now, RJRS1301 said:

I do not ythink the majority are panicking, I think being skeptical is fine, but research from from the experts is a good place to start, and I will continue to read and lsiten to experts, who are more knowledable than me.

I wondering is the mask only for pollution?

I am sure many know about the death rate of mainly older persons fro seasonal flu. 

Infectivity of Covid19 rate seems accurate according those who know more than me, I am not an epidemiologist or health statistican 

I hear you and you could be right.  The website I have been examining closely each day is the WHO site that daily lists the updates from medical professionals worldwide - they tend to be 1-2 days behind the local info - but the numbers are real:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

Wear the mask not to stop getting it - wear the mask in case you have it, so you dont give it to others (every time you have a flu).

But if I was in Chiang mai or Chiang Rai I would wear the mask all the time.

One more IMO.  IMO the main reason it is more contagious than most flus is that a person does not show any symptoms for a while, and yet they can be spreading the infection to others. I have read where a person was tested positive and therefore was spreading it, and yet they did not show any symptons for over 14 days - which ended up being very mild.  When most people get the 'normal' flu they show symptoms withion 24-48 hours and therefore take actions - this one doesnt operate that way. 

Just now, Canuck1966 said:

Wait til this takes hold, this grows exponentially.

Italy deaths are 600 per day & growing, that's 20,000 per year with a full quarantine in place

Maybe true - but maybe not - I remain skeptical

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The case mortality rate does seem to be about 0.3-1% of the cases, especially when considering many of the *cases may not be accounted for as symptoms are mild and those cases not reported. 

However, your (Op) infection rates are as yet unknown - they could be as high as Spanish flu (27%) or as high as Swine Flu (10-21%) - the outcome is as yet, unknown. All we can do is project based on past pandemics and take measures to limit this one as much as we possibly can. 

The disease burden of seasonal Influenza is between 290,000 and 650,000 deaths per year worldwide:

However, its not yet accurate to be able to compare the impact of an established ‘group’ of Viruses such as seasonal Influenza on a population with immunity and vaccines to the unknown impact of a Virus in its infancy to a population with no immunity and no vaccine as yet.

We don’t know if the Case mortality rate is 0.3% or if its 10% (Italy), I suspect the lower figure for reasons mentioned above*.  The infection rate is the greatest variable at the moment, and one we (as a global community) can have an impact on with social isolation and quarantine measures. 

I doubt the spread of the virus can be prevented. But I believe it can be delayed, medical knowledge can be garnered, vaccines can be created and distributed and medical facilities do not become overwhelmed at once. 

Other stats suggest 6% of cases are critical - which implies the need for hospitalisation and oxygen therapy. Thus the death rate alone is not the only fear. No one wants to come down with debilitating flu like symptoms even if all the need is bed care for two weeks. 

I agree - and you are right - it is all about the real mortality and infection rates.  The actions taken worldwide have IMO been warranted for a disease that has a very high rate for both - but I am not sure this is as high as that. Especially mortality rates. If only 7 people on board the Diamond Princess ship died and the mortality rate was 1%, and the ages were mainly 60s, then surely across most of the world the mortality rate is going to be a lot lower.  Italy appears to be an anomoly.  Or will Germany and Korea be anomolies - IMO they will be the norm. 

56 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Flu kills up to 650,000 people worldwide each year - WHO number not mine - I rounded down to 500K.

650,000 a year equates to 54,166 every month.

Do the maths.

or  drive  on  a  thai  road,  way  more  chance  of  death

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

but I am taking precautions. Zinc and multivitamins, regular exercise ( golf and swimming ), supply of paracetamol. Maintaining social distance, limited alcohol consumption. Mask up when I leave my room, regular hand hygiene.

If it does nail me, I've had a good life.

No precautions at all from me.

Wore a mask on the plane so as not to stand out, but if death comes, I'm ready.

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

No precautions at all from me.

If death comes, I'm ready.

I'd like to keep going a bit longer if possible. My GF wants me to stick around, and does everything she can to convince me.

• Haha 1