Chinese man arrested for selling surgical face masks at inflated prices

rooster59

Chinese man arrested for selling surgical face masks at inflated prices

1584688215248-960x0.jpg

Image: Mcot

Thai immigration chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang briefed the press on the arrest of a Chinese national who bought a job lot of surgical masks from a factory near Bangkok airport and advertised them for sale at inflated prices.

Wang Hao was the subject of an immigration sting operation in Bang Plee, Samut Prakan.

He had 37,600 surgical masks in his possession.

He had offered them for sale in lots of 10,000 up with each one costing 15 baht.

Trading standards officers deemed that his activity was illegal especially given the current situation with the coronavirus outbreak.

The suspect said that he got the masks from a factory in King Kaew.

Chief Sompong said that the suspect was proving helpful and he was unable to give further details at this time.

Source: TNA MCOT

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-21

This morning just around dawn was at the street stalls as the monks were standing praying, the coffee stall opening and the bbq-ed pork heavily smoking some lady on the floor with plaid and 3m mask and imported Chinese 3m masks.

The masks ? Priced at 250thb it was.

Even at double pricing still ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, smew said:

The world should take China country to ICC( international criminal court) and charge them with world public endangerment. Just like Europe did after WWI(Treaty of Versailles) Germany paid big price in land and gold for starting WWI.  This virus is no different than starting a war.

Penalty:  Elimination of all trade deficit with China : THIS IS WHAT WILL TEACH THEM A LESSON.

They took Tibet, East Turkmenistan started SARS and free world did NOTHING !!.  

PRC has no respect for anything that free world stands for!!!!  

Excellent 

4 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

This morning just around dawn was at the street stalls as the monks were standing praying, the coffee stall opening and the bbq-ed pork heavily smoking some lady on the floor with plaid and 3m mask and imported Chinese 3m masks.

Even at double pricing still ridiculous.

The normal 20 baht masks are selling for 250 baht in some shops and f-all is done

6 hours ago, smew said:

The world should take China country to ICC( international criminal court) and charge them with world public endangerment. Just like Europe did after WWI(Treaty of Versailles) Germany paid big price in land and gold for starting WWI.  This virus is no different than starting a war.

Penalty:  Elimination of all trade deficit with China : THIS IS WHAT WILL TEACH THEM A LESSON.

Seize all assets linked to the government 

https://www.axios.com/timeline-the-early-days-of-chinas-coronavirus-outbreak-and-cover-up-ee65211a-afb6-4641-97b8-353718a5faab.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiospm&stream=top

Edited by Redline

7 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

Karma for me for not exaggerating this ridiculous practice or calling any hotter then hot line or even going the useless way reporting at the police station.

This evening at the market the opposite way from my home I got masks and even better one. Priced at 10, 15, 30 and 40. Bought a few for myself and my family here.

• Like 1

Funny, there must be half dozen stories about a dozen or so Chinese serious criminals running on TV at the moment.

Like Indians blending in and taking menial labor to avoid the drudgery of living in India. The Chinese single male will prove to be a huge and challenging criminal element.

Gone are the days of nabbing backpackers with a joint of dirtweed on KSR.

had my first inexplicable experience with mail ordering last week.
About two weeks after placing an order for less than ten cotton masks and standard replacement filters for these for my family, an "AliExpress standard" package was reported by tracking to have arrived in Bangkok distribution center (I.e. before customs clearing) what is a reasonable time.
then,
more than a week later, the shipment was "cancelled" by the seller.
Surely will get the money back, but the reason for the cancellation is a mystery to me. Could it be that it is illegal to import PM2.5 masks to Thailand? Such ruling would not make sense as, apparently, there are no masks for sale in Thailand.

Seller has now put on its website:
Now, EMS and DHL all can't ship mask, Chinese Goverment not allowed, Please choose aliexpress standard shipping or ePacket, it is cheap and quickly.
("Chinese" added by author for clarification) 

For your information,
in case you need to protect yourself from air pollution, options seem to be running out.

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2020 at 4:06 PM, Just Weird said:

It may have done if it was illegal but it isn't, selling masks at inflated prices is.

It depends on the quality of the mask;

but in any case at 15 baht the mask is more than twice cheaper than what is currently sold all over Thailand.

3 masks for 100 baht
..... But by Thai people, so the police  close their eyes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:
On 3/21/2020 at 4:06 PM, Just Weird said:

It may have done if it was illegal but it isn't, selling masks at inflated prices is.

It depends on the quality of the mask;

Good grief...My point was that the dual pricing that poster was referring to (which was not mask prices!) is not illegal.  I did say that inflating mask prices is illegal and that does not depend on the quality of the mask!

Disappointing photo, where is the grinning villain, the 4 machine gun wielding Swat team members and at least 2 guys in Hazmat suits pointing to a pile of 10,000 or so face masks.

Standards are dropping!

Edited by sapson

On 3/21/2020 at 10:04 PM, Redline said:
On 3/21/2020 at 3:55 PM, smew said:

Seize all assets linked to the government 

https://www.axios.com/timeline-the-early-days-of-chinas-coronavirus-outbreak-and-cover-up-ee65211a-afb6-4641-97b8-353718a5faab.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiospm&stream=top

And for once, I agree with Steve Bannon "the CCP has to answer to the Chinese people - and the world communities for what they did...by suppressing the information for 4 weeks to 60 days. What they have done to the Chinese people they are now doing to the people of the world."

2 hours ago, watthong said:

And for once, I agree with Steve Bannon "the CCP has to answer to the Chinese people - and the world communities for what they did...by suppressing the information for 4 weeks to 60 days. What they have done to the Chinese people they are now doing to the people of the world."

And for keeping those virus infested markets open to wild animal trade after the SARS epidemic.  The rich and powerful in the communist party got them to reopen the wild animal trade, after shutting it down because of SARS.  They knew these places were breeding grounds for viruses.  This happened to appease the powerful and rich because the want to be special eating wild animals.

Edited by Redline