Thailand reports 89 new coronavirus cases in highest daily jump

rooster59

12 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Ooh. One person likes it, a second person thinks it's sad. The one who thinks it's sad has the word 'Thai' in his name, so I suppose that's inevitable.

Enjoy the dream, friend.

Why do you think that person with thai in his name thinks that it is sad that the Philippines is taking the right precautionary measures in this pandemic? Let's see what measures the PM of Thailand introduces tonight in his broadcast to the nation?

Edited by tropo
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

I'd love to interrogate the causes of death in Thailand in the last few months.

Make some nice pivots tables and pretty graphs.

I think lung infections and pneumonia would be quite prevalent

I am also sure the numbers would show a spike that in cases of and deaths from viral pneumonia and dengue.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Duterte is an ordinary guy who lives like an ordinary guy. He cares deeply about the welfare of his country. He has been cosying up to the Chinese government after giving the US the big finger, and China will offer a lot of assistance if necessary. They already told him last week.... just ask if you need help.

"The Chinese people stand ready to help their Philippine brothers and sisters to go through this difficult time," Huang (vice president of China) said in a statement.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regional/2020/03/18/china-to-donate-100000-more-covid-19-test-kits-to-philippines

I'm beginning to see your POV. Not that my opinion really matters of course, but perhaps the overwhelmingly negative view of Duterte has been largely caused by the war on drugs. Giving the finger to the Americans is a positive move though... One which will increasingly become  the norm. Go Donny!

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, tropo said:

Let's contrast this to another tropical country about 2000 km away to determine how seriously Thailand has taken this threat.

Philippines: Every single town and city is in full lockdown. There is no domestic travel allowed, by air, land or sea.

The lockdown is total with roadblocks in place on all major roads throughout the entire country. It is being handled by individual Barangays and City Halls. The Barangay system of governance makes this a lot easier than it would be in Thailand. At this micro governance level (Barangays), this full lockdown is possible to achieve very quickly. Each Barangay treats this very seriously.

This is how things are in wife's home town of about 50,000 people since last week. The town has been locked down. Her sister is pregnant and cannot travel to the nearest city 25 km away to see her doctor. There is no way to reach the city. There is a curfew at night. All cities and towns have been isolated from each other. All schools are closed.

This is an example of a country taking this threat seriously. Currently they have fewer reported cases of COVID-19 than Thailand.

Philippines 2020 Mad Max:

02779310-B26E-4944-9CA8-5E6239A54058.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

I really don't understand why the government have not yet moved to stage 3? What more has to happen before they finally realise they MUST close the borders

probably something to do with millions (tens of?) people going bankrupt instantly - this is not the UK there will be no bailout here and the people are mainly self employed

its the ultimate choice, the people or the economy

Edited by GeorgeCross
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Why do you think that person with thai in his name thinks that it is sad that the Philippines is taking the right precautionary measures in this pandemic? Let's see what measures the PM of Thailand introduces tonight in his broadcast to the nation?

I don't, he thought my response (which was intended to praise the Phillippines and castigate the Thais) was sad. Or at least, that's how I took it. More or less the opposite of how you took it perhaps? Maybe I need to attend to my modes of communication.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, HOAX said:

According to some scientists it has the ability to stay airborne for "a few hours".

https://www.mdlinx.com/internal-medicine/article/6487

Thats a lab study under artificial conditions, and its not widely agreed upon as it hasn't been studied enough to come to a certain conclusion, but it doesn't sound very likely that more than 30-40 people touched the exact same spot (with a few tiny drops) where the infected person was at the muay thai fight, even when being crowded. Its possible, but not very likely. What's more likely is that it is airborne, abd it doesn't need to be airborne for long to go pass dozens of people at a crowded event.

But it hasn't been definitely proven yet.

Has passing on via banknotes and money need proven or disproven as a risk? A large amount of the people infected are professional gamblers and would be passing large sums of money back and forth all night. They don’t all stay stuck in same spot either and love about a bit placing bets and collecting money.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

I don't, he thought my response (which was intended to praise the Phillippines and castigate the Thais) was sad. Or at least, that's how I took it. More or less the opposite of how you took it perhaps? Maybe I need to attend to my modes of communication.

We really did get this mixed up. I agreed with you and was actually asking "I wonder why he added a "sad" reaction to the post. Maybe he thought it was sad that Thailand is so slow to react to this outbreak.

32 of 89 new cases connected to boxing event

800_8d0788be2eb39c8.jpg

The confirmation of 89 new cases of Covid-19 on Saturday (March 21) has taken the total number of infections in Thailand over the 400 mark.

The virus toll on Saturday stood at 411, with 366 under treatment, 44 recovered and one death.

The 89 cases on Saturday can be divided into two groups. The first group of 51 are connected to cluster cases -- 32 people had attended a boxing event in a stadium, two had been to entertainment venues, six had attended religious ceremonies and 11 had had close contact with others previously confirmed as infected.

The second group comprises 38 people of whom 12 had just travelled back from overseas (half are Thai and the other half foreigners), six had been working in crowded venues such as markets, restaurants and vehicle drivers, and 20 are awaiting investigation.

The department also reported that of those under treatment, four have recently become critical, bringing the total number of patients in a critical state to seven. They were being treated at Siriraj, Rajavithi and private hospitals.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384569

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-20

1 hour ago, tropo said:

My POV comes from the eyes of my wife and her family actually living under Duterte. Many things have improved. The war on drugs succeeded in getting 2 of her addicted brothers off the drugs. They used to be available at the corner store. We have no complaints whatsoever. He is now revered in the Philippines, and for good reason.

Then perhaps I should acknowledge that my previous opinion of him was shaped by things other than what is really going on. Apologies if I ofended with an erroneous understanding.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

I guess it is not recommended to ask them why the pure madness of every Chinese still welcomed not so long ago? ????

I guess you're right, though in fairness, the answer to the rhetorical question you ask is obvious... the Thai cultural obsession and relationship with money.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 2

They should open the bars again in my honest opinion. Keep all the girls in one place. Look what has happened since they closed the bars, cases have rocketed. They bars and gogo's I frequented in Pattaya and my gym, all practiced safe hygenic practices. Alcohol gel available on entrance and exit. Now these bar workers are all stuck together in their rooms spreading the infections and not using any safe hand washing gels. These that dont stay go back to Issan and infect Granny and Mum and Dad. There are always consequences.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smedly said:

How did this spread to so many people attending this boxing event ?

all from possibly one person ?

I find that hard to believe - were they all touching each other 

No need they all just touched the same railing, door handle etc that an infected person touched. Then probably touched their face or ate with their hands. 
The best defense is hand hygiene and keeping your hands away from your face. 

• Haha 1

Latest news if true.

Bangkok ordered to close 22 more risky locations starting March 22-April 12, 63 except supermarkets  Convenience store  The restaurant sells only to take home.

(21 March 63) Time 10.00 hrs., At the meeting room on the 8th floor of Thani Nopparat Building  Bangkok City Hall 2, Din Daeng District: Police General Aswin Khwanmuang, Bangkok Governor  Chaired a meeting of the Bangkok Communicable Disease Control Committee in accordance with the Communicable Disease Act 2015, discussing additional measures to stop the spread of cowvid-19  Due to the continuously increasing outbreak situation  Until may result in the spread of the cattle-19 spread spread widely.

Governor of Bangkok  Disclosed after the meeting that  At the board's meeting  Passed a resolution to close the establishment under Section 35, the Communicable Disease Act 2015, for a period of 22 days from 22 March-12 April 2020

With additional risky locations that are closed include

- Health massage spa
 - Weight control service center
 - Spa, bath, fur cut
 - Skating rink or roller blade
 - Beauty salon business  And beauty clinic
 - Amusement park, bowling, game cabinet
 - Computer service
 - Golf courses, golf practice courts
 - Swimming pool
 - Skin tattooing business
 - Home babysitting and child care services
 - Elderly care services at home
 - Sanam Phra
 - Chicken court and Chicken court
 - Meeting and exhibition facilities
 - All types of markets  Except fresh products  And a stall that sells food as necessary to daily life
 - Department stores  Except for the supermarket section
 - Early childhood development centers, private public education institutions, boarding schools  International school  Religious school  Tutoring school everywhere
 - University-level institution  Graduate school  Both public and private  Including vocational training institutions throughout Bangkok

In addition, Bangkok also requests private sector cooperation to allow employees to work at home.  As for government agencies, use time-shift methods or switch working days.  As appropriate  As for the mass transportation system, seat spaces are requested to reduce passenger congestion.  And requesting people's cooperation to reduce traveling in densely populated areas

However, requesting cooperation, people do not have to stockpile products  The restaurant is still open as usual.  Just ask to change the format to take away box and supermarket  Is still open as normal  Convenience stores should keep clean.  There is an alcohol service point at the entrance.  For cleanliness

• Like 1