Thailand reports 89 new coronavirus cases in highest daily jump

rooster59

Quite a few stories being reported about someone returning to [pick an Isaan town] having been at a Bangkok boxing stadium. The story goes that said person has then attended a local event where many people have gathered (big entertainment venue, large wedding and in the case of my local amphur a cock fight). Then the story goes is that he was infected and now lots of locals are believed to be infected. None of the reports refer to said infected person having been tested for the virus, let alone all the others presumed to be touched by it

Anybody else finding the story similarities to be odd? Could be fake news repeated location by location?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

How did this spread to so many people attending this boxing event ?

all from possibly one person ?

I find that hard to believe - were they all touching each other 

there could have been more than one carriers.

50 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Of course they will. What should they do, book themselves into a hotel?

Many come from the north where they may have generations sharing. They don’t have the option of going it alone 

self isolation is not possible if many people live in one small house. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

could the drastic increase be related to currently being testing and before no test, only temperature check

How many validadted tests are being carried out daily, and where are they being conducted andwhere are labs located doing the tests and interpreting the results?

4 hours ago, MBTC said:

The virus is nothing, the global economic crash will kill way more people. Inflation and cashless society is coming. Good luck homies

or deflation and all cash. lets see what happens to the gold market here in as few months. there could be a run on cash as people sell their gold to function. 

same with anything they can sell to raise cash.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Why? The guy that died was ill for 5 weeks, the vast majority of confirmed cases have been in the last fortnight.

My niece works at a large hospital in the middle of Bangkok, they had their first confirmed case this week, far less a death.

Looks like they are right in their thinking.

Not necessarily. The flaw in the argument lies in the word "diagnosed”.

If the hospital your neice works with is in Bangkok, the likelihood is that it's one of the expensive hospitals and the expansion of cases of COVID-19 is unlikely to happen in the expensive hospitals. The expansion is likely to happen in the cheap government hospitals where the doctors are far more likely to diagnose by symptoms rather than by disease. Thus if somebody is suffering from COVID-19 and presents with symptoms similar to pneumonia, the diagnosis is likely to be an pneumonia rather than COVID-19, and I think the  test for COVID-19 will simply not get done. I have direct personal experience of how this might easily happen, though I did not understad the cause and significance of a poor diagnosis at the time.

The problem in Thailand is to be found in incompetence and laziness, as noted elsewhere in this topic. If the numbers of cases appearing in the stats are distorted by either, than the stats will not be worth very much...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

How did this spread to so many people attending this boxing event ?

all from possibly one person ?

I find that hard to believe - were they all touching each other 

It didnt ....It’s about time they come clean and admit the have not got a clue ... Stage 3 should have been in effect already because all I see is Bars and Redturants open as normal and the odd person with a mask ... Z... Nobody gives a damn and authority does not know how to control or lead ... It’s sad ... I’m self quarantine even though nothing wrong ... It’s the only safe way

Edited by Millcx
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jimn said:

They should open the bars again in my honest opinion. Keep all the girls in one place. Look what has happened since they closed the bars, cases have rocketed. They bars and gogo's I frequented in Pattaya and my gym, all practiced safe hygenic practices. Alcohol gel available on entrance and exit. Now these bar workers are all stuck together in their rooms spreading the infections and not using any safe hand washing gels. These that dont stay go back to Issan and infect Granny and Mum and Dad. There are always consequences.

Any new cases from people moving around due to bar closures won't show up in test results for another 7 to 10 days.

At the rate we're going there will be over 1000 cases by then and that's just a snapshot of where we are right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pravda said:

Maybe.... just maybe the government is doing the right thing by fudging numbers.

Maybe they know Thai will panic and lynch Farangs.

Personally I am sending a thank you note to Prayuth and Anutin.

I hope you cough or sneeze on it first.

3 hours ago, jimn said:

They should open the bars again in my honest opinion. Keep all the girls in one place. Look what has happened since they closed the bars, cases have rocketed. They bars and gogo's I frequented in Pattaya and my gym, all practiced safe hygenic practices. Alcohol gel available on entrance and exit. Now these bar workers are all stuck together in their rooms spreading the infections and not using any safe hand washing gels. These that dont stay go back to Issan and infect Granny and Mum and Dad. There are always consequences.

Strange reasoning first you say thei are all healthy and practice safe hygenic practices. So its safe but now when sending them back they are all sick spreading infection. Sounds like a crazy argument to keep bars open because you need them.

So either before they were sick and even with safe practices endangering you or they are not sick not a danger and going back is also not a danger. You cant switch situation just for the sake of your argument.

I think its a good thing bars closed too. mongers would not like this of course.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Virt said:

I hope they take actions soon, and stop all incoming traffic or things could end up very very ugly.

Man i feel sad for human mankind these days.

Race, religion or politics does not matter these days.

We're all in the same boat and need to take care of this problem worldwide.

i think the world need a spiritual awakening and this could do the trick.  a paradigm change.  long over due.  put away your toys fat cats and learn to chop wood and boil water. lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ParkerN said:

What makes you predict they will likely do as you suggest they will?

I didn't predict anything... 

I merely quoted what "self isolation" really entails... and as we know that's almost impossible for Thais to do!

So wait for the numbers to keep rising.

• Like 1

What will happen when Corona get foothold in northern Thailand where so many people have decimated respiratory because of the extremely polluted air from January to June EVERY year. The Corona virus can affect your upper respiratory tract (sinuses, nose, and throat) or lower respiratory tract (windpipe and lungs) and in worst case kill you. Time will show what death % will be if it get here. I am quite sure it will be higher than normal, but maybe too pessimistic.

Edited by Sweet Swede
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

I'd love to interrogate the causes of death in Thailand in the last few months.

Make some nice pivots tables and pretty graphs.

I think lung infections and pneumonia would be quite prevalent

I was wondering the same thing.  You're implying there might be undereporting. ????

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

And on the same thinking the UK would be about 6000, with a slightly smaller population.

At this point in time I know where I would rather be.

London is going to be the next Wuhan in a month.

Edited by Thunder26
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Thunder26 said:

London is going to be next Wuhan in a month.

Wrong.

No new deaths in Wuhan.  Because they locked down the population.

London (and any other city that's not on lockdown, including every city and moo baan in Thailand) is going to be the next Italy.

How coronavirus overwhelmed Italy, with more than 4,000 deaths in one month

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SantiSuk said:

Quite a few stories being reported about someone returning to [pick an Isaan town] having been at a Bangkok boxing stadium. The story goes that said person has then attended a local event where many people have gathered (big entertainment venue, large wedding and in the case of my local amphur a cock fight). Then the story goes is that he was infected and now lots of locals are believed to be infected. None of the reports refer to said infected person having been tested for the virus, let alone all the others presumed to be touched by it

Anybody else finding the story similarities to be odd? Could be fake news repeated location by location?

There was a high up politician from Chachoengsao province that tested positive after being at the stadium, he went to a lot of events, weddings, funerals etc... after before he was found positive

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

What, no mention of foreigners anywhere In the article??

are you sure this isn't a typo? 

Not like the health ministry to miss an opportunity to publicly blame foreigners for their own shortcomings, is it? 

That press release will be published tomorrow. 

"And in Italy, the leader of a delegation from the Chinese Red Cross openly castigated Italians for failing to take the national lockdown seriously.

On a visit to the hard-hit city of Milan, Sun Shuopeng said he was shocked to see so many people walking around, using public transportation and eating out in hotels.

“Right now we need to stop all economic activity, and we need to stop the mobility of people,” he said. “All people should be staying at home in quarantine.”

How many people in Thailand are staying home in quarantine? ????

23 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Wrong.

No new deaths in Wuhan.  Because they locked down the population.

London (and any other city that's not on lockdown, including every city and moo baan in Thailand) is going to be the next Italy.

How coronavirus overwhelmed Italy, with more than 4,000 deaths in one month

Wuhan had almost 3000 deaths. Not now, but before. I'm not wrong. It could be worse and follow the path of Italy.

7 hours ago, Denim said:

I know Songkran has been cancelled but if people travel home anyway , then this figure will rise dramatically a few weeks after the holidays regardless of whether  people splash water around or not. 

It won't actually. They can't or won't test so it'll just go up slowly. Real infections of course will.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tropo said:

Duterte is an ordinary guy who lives like an ordinary guy. He cares deeply about the welfare of his country. He has been cosying up to the Chinese government after giving the US the big finger, and China will offer a lot of assistance if necessary. They already told him last week.... just ask if you need help.

"The Chinese people stand ready to help their Philippine brothers and sisters to go through this difficult time," Huang (vice president of China) said in a statement.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regional/2020/03/18/china-to-donate-100000-more-covid-19-test-kits-to-philippines

The American tax payers have been giving everyone one the "big finger"! We are never so happy to stop funneling our tax dollars into these toilets!!!

4 hours ago, ParkerN said:

I'm beginning to see your POV. Not that my opinion really matters of course, but perhaps the overwhelmingly negative view of Duterte has been largely caused by the war on drugs. Giving the finger to the Americans is a positive move though... One which will increasingly become  the norm. Go Donny!

And yes my name does have Thai in it as well ParkerN, but we all have names that are pseudonyms and do not really say anything about us.  Your comment seems to show you might just believe that the person is Thai.....but, not in my case here. I am an American, loosen up a little please. 

• Sad 1

When Italy, Spain, Germany, USA have thousands of new cases of virus per day, 89 seems insignificant to me, a total of 411 still seems insignificant to me. 

Thailand is winning! ☮️

90191740_10157535174663074_7246447097866616832_n.jpg

• Haha 1