Azithromycin, Chloroquine & Hydroxychloroquine

bbi1

Stop listening to Trump. Azithromycin is an antibiotic. Covid-19 is a virus. The other two are unproven as of yet with only anecdotal evidence. Wait for real testing. If you like, stockpile some but don't take any. The other drug refimivir (something like that) that they hoped worked has failed tests.

Best bet, get a pneumonia vaccination. its pneumonia that kills them so that's what you really need to stop.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

Stop listening to Trump. Azithromycin is an antibiotic. Covid-19 is a virus. The other two are unproven as of yet with only anecdotal evidence. Wait for real testing. If you like, stockpile some but don't take any. The other drug refimivir (something like that) that they hoped worked has failed tests.

Best bet, get a pneumonia vaccination. its pneumonia that kills them so that's what you really need to stop.

I've read that doctors said that a pneumonia vaccination is useless against Covid19, firstly because that's for a bacterial pnemonia and Covid19 is viral. Secondly is that the Covid19 strain needs to be in the vaccine and there's no such vaccine yet in this world that covers Covid19.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Zero.

None of these are approved for use, there is research ongoing but evidence so far is sparse and mostly anecdotal.

80-90% of people with COVID need no treatment, and self-treating with drugs like this are likely to do more harm than good.

If you are in the minority who have a severe case, you need to be in a hospital.

According to doctors in China and some EU countries they've been treating patients with Hydroxychloroquine together with Azithromycin and it has worked on them, but it's only a small sample size.

Why would there be doctors around the globe buying it for themselves and their families just in case, and other doctors taking it to protect themselves from getting Covid19 in Western countries? I would presume they must be doing it for some reason.

I think it's better to have some stockpiled in case there's none in the hospitals. Do you trust that Thailand will have enough of those meds if there are tens of thousands of patients with Covid19 in hospital? Or will they only offer those meds to the people with the most money? My motto is better safe than sorry later when there's none left. The only thing is I don't know how much to stockpile for each person. Don't want too much and don't want too little.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

I think it's better to have some stockpiled in case there's none in the hospitals

ah  u mean where its "actually"  really needed, meantime your shelves have it and the hospital doesnt.........good  plan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chazar said:

ah  u mean where its "actually"  really needed, meantime your shelves have it and the hospital doesnt.........good  plan

People are going to stockpile it themselves just like they've doing it all around the world. People are going to protect themselves and their families first.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

As a health professional myself I know a LOT of doctors and nurses, including many in epicenters like New York.

None are stockpiling these drugs.

None would be likely to self prescribe them. It is simply not a good idea.

As a not health professional and I don't know from doctors, I think your response is basic common sense but thanks for that as of course you do have credibility here.

As far as stocking up, well I have stocked up on my usual scrips out of concern of supply chain problems from India. China, and Europe.

As far as those meds mentioned, I can see the logic of stocking them IF we knew they were actually effective and safe treatment. But, alas, as Sheryl said and as Dr. Fauci has said as well, at this point we know nothing of the kind. May as well stock up on black licorice. 

• Confused 1

Self medicating without the appropriate training can be very dangerous

Chloroquine in a too high a dosage(double) can kill you. severely affect your eyesight, or lead to renal failure. 

" Malaria drug touted as coronavirus treatment by Trump and Elon Musk can be deadly, China finds"

https://fortune.com/2020/03/20/malaria-drug-coronavirus-treatment-chloroquine-trump-musk-deadly-china/

PS: Elon Musk never endorsed the use of Chloroquine, including his name in the article is a huchet job for what reason I am unsure. This is what he said , which IMO is reasonable, 

"Maybe worth considering chloroquine for C19 "

Edited by sirineou
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Chloroquine in any event is now out of stock in Bangkok pharmacies, and has been placed on the restricted medications list, only available at a licenced clinic or hospital. 

Yes out in Pattaya too, maybe a good thing so hospitals are stocking up.

People are making masks now out of any old material, boxer shorts, pajamas, whatever they have to cut up

6 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Don't pin your future hopes on this study. It was only 26 patients in total. Of the 26, 6 were excluded(not counted). Of the 6 excluded patients, 3 went to the ICU, and one died. So the death rate was about 4%.

My point was that it's not Trump idea like you claimed and that azithromycin is indeed used for treatment even if it's simply an antibiotic. If the study is relevant or not is another thing. 

Edited by Tayaout

On 3/21/2020 at 12:25 PM, gargamon said:

Azithromycin actually also has antiviral effects.

• Like 1

Has nothing to do with Trump . This is now widespread given to many people in hospitals around the world . It isn't the miracle cure yet , but the signs are pretty good , since a significant nr of people seem to response positive .

On 3/21/2020 at 12:25 PM, gargamon said:

Azithromycin is an antibiotic. Covid-19 is a virus.

ORANGE MAN BAD. Seriously.. stop being blinded by your hate for old men in orange, a common complication of Covid-19 is a secondary bacterial pneumonia, which azithromycin can prevent or treat. It is often prescribed in Covid-19 cases regardless of Chloroquine.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sezze said:

Has nothing to do with Trump . This is now widespread given to many people in hospitals around the world . It isn't the miracle cure yet , but the signs are pretty good , since a significant nr of people seem to response positive .

It has not been tested on  significant number if people (excluding trials currently underway the results of which are not yer known)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

In France, the biggest authority ( Haut conseil de santé publique ) recommends no to use chloroquine , except for serious illness and with medical monitoring 

translated from Google 

"The side effects are numerous: nausea, vomiting, skin rashes but also ophthalmological attacks, cardiac, neurological disorders ... An overdose can be particularly dangerous and doctors formally advise against consuming it without medical advice."

There's at least one that regrets self-medication with chloroquine phosphate, according to the New York Times:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/us/chloroquine-poisoning-coronavirus.html

I am, of course, referring to the wife, the husband is probably not able to regret anything.

1 minute ago, farang51 said:

There's at least one that regrets self-medication with chloroquine phosphate, according to the New York Times:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/us/chloroquine-poisoning-coronavirus.html

I am, of course, referring to the wife, the husband is probably not able to regret anything.

Yes they used chloroquine sulfate for cleaning fish tank since it doesn't need prescription. If most people can't use a mask correctly then they shouldn't try to self medicate! 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

It has not been tested on  significant number if people (excluding trials currently underway the results of which are not yer known)

VERY TRUE..............and this is also worth reading with regard to antiviral properties:-

https://www.emlitofnote.com/?p=3458

The only thing better than providing one mostly useless treatment for influenza: providing two.

Sponsored by Pfizer and overseen by authors with Pfizer COI, this study randomizes patients between oseltamivir (Tamiflu) monotherapy and oseltamivir + azithromycin dual-therapy for influenza.  The theory behind the madness is azithromycin modulates anti-inflammatory processes and decreases the susceptibility to secondary bacterial pneumonia.  Thus, the primary endpoint of the study was … well, there wasn’t one.  “The primary endpoint was defined as variations in the levels of inflammatory markers” – 20-odd co-primary endpoints – while patient-oriented, symptom-oriented endpoints were secondary.

AND I and others were given chloroquine tablets when working in Africa back in the 70s and even then there were warnings about dosage and side effects, esp vision problems. 

Edited by xylophone

2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

My point was that it's not Trump idea like you claimed and that azithromycin is indeed used for treatment even if it's simply an antibiotic. If the study is relevant or not is another thing. 

But it was Trump's idea to tell the world that he was pretty sure it will work. Even when the Medical expert was in the background with the look of fear on his face.

As professionals have said in reports, and our resident professional has said there are trials underway and more to come. Wait for scientific method to demonstrate whether this drug or a combination demonstrates efficacy.

Then medical professionals will do what they do.

20 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Chloroquine in any event is now out of stock in Bangkok pharmacies, and has been placed on the restricted medications list, only available at a licenced clinic or hospital. 

Well I bought some more yesterday along with azithromycin, most pharmacies never sold it anyway from what I gathered. I'd have to get pretty ill to take this muck but no way I want to end up in Hospital here. For those interested it's 500 mg of chlororquinine twice a day but if under 50kg like many Thai woman 500 mg first then 250. Some sources say for 7 days some ten. If you take the anti biotic 500mg once at day at the same time but 3 days should be enough as it will last a week, info from the pharmacist. Good luck with the honey and garlic!

14 minutes ago, Aforek said:

In France, the biggest authority ( Haut conseil de santé publique ) recommends no to use chloroquine , except for serious illness and with medical monitoring 

translated from Google 

"The side effects are numerous: nausea, vomiting, skin rashes but also ophthalmological attacks, cardiac, neurological disorders ... An overdose can be particularly dangerous and doctors formally advise against consuming it without medical advice."

Many drugs have side effects and even paracetamol will kill you. The problem with this is that the difference between the right dose and overdose is small, all you have to do is stick to the correct dose. It has to be taken for months or years for eye damage to occur, if it were that bad it would not have been around for 70 years.

18 minutes ago, Aforek said:

translated from Google 

I took it for about 6 weeks anti malaria, no problem at all, maybe a different dosage